Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I didn't even bother getting the sleds ready this year. The weather is crappy as we have all been complaining and it doesn't look to be getting any better. To make matters worse, I just finished watching Al Gore in "An Inconceivable Truth" which explains Global Warming in detail and actually shows the reasons to why we are not getting any cold weather and snow. I feel so low right now and therefore have decided to pull out my other toy that can at least be used in all weather conditions. Take a peek and let me know what you guys think! One of these should work....

Video
http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43f1e2fbmcedc...CtitmFBa4c5YBRH

http://ca.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/[email protected]&.src=bc

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
So I didn't even bother getting the sleds ready this year. The weather is crappy as we have all been complaining and it doesn't look to be getting any better. To make matters worse, I just finished watching Al Gore in "An Inconceivable Truth" which explains Global Warming in detail and actually shows the reasons to why we are not getting any cold weather and snow. I feel so low right now and therefore have decided to pull out my other toy that can at least be used in all weather conditions. Take a peek and let me know what you guys think! One of these should work....

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43f1e2fbmcedc...CtitmFBa4c5YBRH

Izey's Wet Dream

[/b]
It's "An Inconvenient Truth" and it's a lot like Michael Moore's F 9/11.

There are a lot of inaccuracies, assumptions and false conclusions in the film. Also, Al Gore is NOT a climatologist - it's just his latest issue to get up on the soap box to preach about.

Not to get into a big GW debate, but there are a ton of scientists that disagree with much of the GW THEORY/climate change etc.

I don't think it's nearly as cut and dried as Al Gore makes it out to be.

There are always 3 sides to every story. 2 versions of "the truth" and the truth.

Regardless of any of this, we don't have any snow for whatever reason........

and your first link doesn't work.

:smilielol:

Cool boat - what lake is that on?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's "An Inconvenient Truth" and it's a lot like Michael Moore's F 9/11.

There are a lot of inaccuracies, assumptions and false conclusions in the film. Also, Al Gore is NOT a climatologist - it's just his latest issue to get up on the soap box to preach about.

Not to get into a big GW debate, but there are a ton of scientists that disagree with much of the GW THEORY/climate change etc.

I don't think it's nearly as cut and dried as Al Gore makes it out to be.

There are always 3 sides to every story. 2 versions of "the truth" and the truth.

Regardless of any of this, we don't have any snow for whatever reason........

and your first link doesn't work.

:smilielol:

Cool boat - what lake is that on?[/b]
Thanks Iceman and you make a valid point, however, a lot of the facts are true and clearly something is going on because our weather patterns have changed significantly over the past 50 years. I remember my dad telling me stories about how he used to see 6-8 feet of snow in Muskoka when he was a kid. Haven't seen that in ages and the years just keep getting warmer. There is defintely some truth to that documentary - how much of it we'll never know.

Thanks for your comment on my boat. I have pics and info if anybody wants a small side project over this winter since most likely we won't be sledding :banghead:

That was on lake simcoe during the summer, up around Orillia.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Yea - something is changing for sure.

I guess the debate is whether or not it's as a result of man or just changing weather patterns due to natural cycles - or a combination of both.

I won't deny something is up, I just don't necessarily buy into the theory that it's all our fault. There simply is not enough information yet, not enough studies, not enough historical data etc to make any conclusions.

Don't give up on the season yet! There's still plenty of time.

Here's hoping for snow!

:beerchug:

·
Registered
399 Posts
I remember reading somewhere the avrg temp has only increased 0.7 degrees celsius over the last 50 yrs....[/b]
1 degree change at the equator means 12 degree change at the Poles, so it depends where that temperature was taken.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
I remember reading somewhere the avrg temp has only increased 0.7 degrees celsius over the last 50 yrs....[/b]
World average.... but when New Mexico is getting snow that means their temp is low but we have their F'n temps!! :banghead:

So it does average out in the end, just not on the good side for us!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dont sell the sled yet
Good thing about this weather is it gives you the time to do other things but still related to sledding. Example I am restoring a old vintage sleigh to pull around for my daughter, damn thing will be done soon and started thinking of building vintage sno pro sled.
Only problem if it keeps raining might have to trade the sled for Noah's Ark (LOL)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

I guess the debate is whether or not it's as a result of man or just changing weather patterns due to natural cycles - or a combination of both.

I won't deny something is up, I just don't necessarily buy into the theory that it's all our fault. There simply is not enough information yet, not enough studies, not enough historical data etc to make any conclusions.

Here's hoping for snow!

:beerchug:[/b]
Are you serious? And if so can you give me a few names of the scientists you say there are and any information they have published so I can put my blinders back on. :div20:

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Are you serious? And if so can you give me a few names of the scientists you say there are and any information they have published so I can put my blinders back on. :div20:[/b]
Yea, I can give you a couple so you stop buying into all the BS. Hell, some of them are even Canadian.

You think this is the first time in the planet's history it's been warm?

Here's a great article.

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=010405M

·
Registered
507 Posts
AL Gore LOL. This winter sucks and all but if you beleive his BS that too bad. There has been low snow years in the past also. I totally agree that the past 10 years have been mild.But i don't believe for a minute co2 is trapping the suns rays in our atmosphere and causing warming. If that were the case why are our summers not hotter?Why is Colorado getting record snows and cold weather.Even snow in Texas. We have had nice cool summers here with the exception of a couple days.I personally think it is all affects of the the jet stream path.What causes the jet stream to go where it does I don't know. there just is no real scientific proof that any of this is bull Al is spreading is true.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I dont buy into the "man made" part of global warming either, I dont deny that something is changing, but for shit sake there were glaciers covering most of north america that came and went, long before man was in the picture.
therefore WE cannot be the cause of the climate change, I beleive it to be a natural cycle.
edit for political correctness lol

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
AL Gore LOL. This winter sucks and all but if you beleive his BS that too bad. There has been low snow years in the past also. I totally agree that the past 10 years have been mild.But i don't believe for a minute co2 is trapping the suns rays in our atmosphere and causing warming. If that were the case why are our summers not hotter?Why is Colorado getting record snows and cold weather.Even snow in Texas. We have had nice cool summers here with the exception of a couple days.I personally think it is all affects of the the jet stream path.What causes the jet stream to go where it does I don't know. there just is no real scientific proof that any of this is bull Al is spreading is true.[/b]
A 2 year old expert...

glad you don't believe in the greenhouse effect, probably means it doesn't exist...

keep burning gas!

if you want answers why don't you try to find them from expert sources instead of coming to your own conclusions? however logical you think they are!!!!

·
Registered
5,462 Posts

Here's hoping for snow!

:beerchug:[/b]
I think the seasons are just changing , was wearinf a t shirt in late oct, spring rain didnt stop till june , will probably have snow till april

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I dont buy into the "man made" part of global warming either, I dont deny that something is changing, but for shit sake there were glaciers covering most of north america that came and went, long before man was in the picture.
therefore WE cannot be the cause of the climate change, I beleive it to be a natural cycle.
edit for political correctness lol[/b]
ever thought about what happens to the exhaust from your car, or better yet from a jet airplane? how about a coal power plant?

do we have the same number of trees on our planet that absorb co2 as 500 years ago? how many more people live on this earth? how many species of sea animals have gone extinct recently? how much hotter is the sun? how easily does your skin burn now, compared to 30 years ago?

there are so many questions that you aren't asking. The one that you do is a knee jerk reaction because its easier to answer...

not saying I know that much about cliamte change, and I haven't seen Al Gore's movie, but I also didn't need to see farenheit 9/11 to know a lot of what they spoke of was true! Some of its fabricated, but it still raised some interesting concerns and more importantly a topic of discussion.

We need to raise eyebrows and talk amongst ourselves or we face being run over by powerful and greedy men. I don't know about anyone else here, but I trust no-one, especially politicians and those that run our countries economies. That is why disregarding the entire concept of global warming to "hype" is not the right move... it may turn out to be false, but at this point there are a lot of signs pointing the other way..

·
Registered
671 Posts
AL Gore LOL. This winter sucks and all but if you beleive his BS that too bad. There has been low snow years in the past also. I totally agree that the past 10 years have been mild.But i don't believe for a minute co2 is trapping the suns rays in our atmosphere and causing warming. If that were the case why are our summers not hotter?Why is Colorado getting record snows and cold weather.Even snow in Texas. We have had nice cool summers here with the exception of a couple days.I personally think it is all affects of the the jet stream path.What causes the jet stream to go where it does I don't know. there just is no real scientific proof that any of this is bull Al is spreading is true.[/b]
Summers arn't hotter? mine sure as hell are. This summer at the cottage in sudbury we set the all-time high of 38 degrees... thats the hottest it's ever been. the result of this is setting power consumption records etc. this occurred all across Ontario. I don't necessarily believe everything al gore says, but you have to admit its convincing, and it makes you wonder. Sure, its probably half BS and half stretched truth... definitely make a good point about the west. boy are they getting hammered. :div20:
heres hoping climate change is BULL and we'll get some snow, that stays well into April. :beerchug:

·
Registered
671 Posts
ever thought about what happens to the exhaust from your car, or better yet from a jet airplane? how about a coal power plant?

do we have the same number of trees on our planet that absorb co2 as 500 years ago? how many more people live on this earth? how many species of sea animals have gone extinct recently? how much hotter is the sun? how easily does your skin burn now, compared to 30 years ago?

very good points :div20:
BTW consider seeing the movie for shits and giggles, quite interesting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts