Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the Studboy pattern below, but will be using 102 studs:

But I used a physical template from Arctic Cat that had to be modded. Of course that was what screwed everything up in all my thoughts. I modded it so the left and right 3.75" were at the same row, same for the 4" and the 4.25", but didn't thought of moving the template every other row - instead I marked every hole and moved the template three rows every time. This it how I drilled the holes:

This is how I've installed the studs now. Still 12 scratchlines...

How it looks like

So... How screded up is this? The worries I have:
- It won't be that slight "V"-print, but still 12 scratchlines.
- The extra holes, would they decrease the durability of the track? I've seen mountain riders punches much larger holes and that seem to be fine?

The only option I see to gain perfection is to fill the holes ("vulk" in Swedish =)) with "new" rubber at some shop nearby and redrill the holes. Would that be risky? I'd rather stick to what I have now and just feel bad about it everytime I see it... I guess a redrilled hole in connection to another would be risky..?

Live and learn!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Maybe you've come up with a new hi-tech, light weight track. Your buddies will wonder why you are so fast!

I have screwed up a track or two before by doing something similar to this...
I would have to say that where the holes that are un-occupied by studs are in the inside belt, it should be ok...Where as on the 15" wide tracks, if the holes were on the outside belt it may be a concern.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
dont worry. I bought a track from a guy who drilled the 15" 144 pattern, then realized what he did and redrilled for 170. then he filled as many holes as he could . ended up with 194 studs and a bunch of extra holes. I ran it for a while , then sold it to a member and as far as i know its still runnin

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!
Now to the next concerns:
- I just recieved the extra 6 studs wich wasn't enclosed to the earlier 96 and realised that the double backers will go left-right 25 whole times until the ends meet up. I do have some extra studs, but perhaps single backers would solve this issue?

--¤¤---------
---------¤¤--
free slot
--¤¤---------
---------¤¤--

¤ = studs

It can be either:
--¤¤---------
---------¤¤--
--¤¤----¤¤--
--¤¤---------
---------¤¤--

or:
--¤¤---------
---------¤¤--
---¤-----¤---
--¤¤---------
---------¤¤--

or:
--¤¤---------
---------¤¤--
--¤-------¤--
--¤¤---------
---------¤¤--

At the first thought single backers WOULD be the choice, any difference if it's at the outer or inner holes? Or better question: do I prefer them to run under the idlers?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts