Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Does anyone else think that there is a typo on the AC bulletin above??

The second set of VIN's has an X where the starting VIN range is a 2...... Should the X in the second set of VIN's actually be a 2 ?
4UF03SNW83T172403-4UF03SNW93T176895 & 4UF03SNW23T178861-4UF03SNWX3T185105

What do you think?
-John

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
John, I'd assume the "x" -- whether correct or not -- is a non-issue, seeing as how cat states, "For identification purposes, it is necessary to refer to only the last six digits of the identification number." But then again, wouldn't be the first oversight/error Cat has mad this year! -- Roy

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
how can u expect to get a service bulletin right if they cant even make a smartvalve such a dumb valve?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Roy,
I am concerned about it due to the fact I work with VIN's all day long at my job. I agree that the last six digits are the actual production # of the vehicle, but the prefix to those numbers are also a very important designation.

For example: Using the 'last six' method on a sled with a VIN of 4UF03SNW93T181489 would not apply if you follow the the VIN range on the 1st line of the affected machines.

Now, take that same VIN of 4UF03SNW93T181489 and use the 'last six' method, and now the update would apply if you use the VIN range that is listed on the second line of the affected machines........ :wacko:
-John

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Guess you kinda' lost me John. If we just go by the last six digits -- as Cat indicates -- then the number you gave (4UF03SNW93T181489) would indeed need the update, as it falls between the second list of identification numbers. -- Roy

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Roy,

I guess what I am trying to explain is that using the last six digits of a serial# works fine if there is only 1 'group'(the first 11 letters & numbers being ALL the same) of vehicle identification numbers. This "bulletin" has 2 groups of vehicle identification numbers. I'll try to give an example.

This part of the VIN 4UF03SNW83T172403 - 4UF03SNW93T176895 & 4UF03SNW23T178861 - 4UF03SNWX3T185105 has to be looked at when determining whether a vehicle falls into a VIN range. If it didn't matter, the bulletin would have read:
"XXXXXXXXXXX172403 - XXXXXXXXXXX176895 & XXXXXXXXXXX178861 - XXXXXXXXXXX185105

Does this make any sence??
-John

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Does anyone know how difficult it is to do the smartvalve recall? Can it be done with the tank on the sled? Thanks

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
OK, I see what what you're saying, and that's what I guessed you were referring to, but at this point, I'm ASSUMING that Cat knows what they're talking about in saying to just use the last six digits of the identification numbers. I agree that the way you just listed them -- "XXXXXXXXXXX172403 - XXXXXXXXXXX176895 & XXXXXXXXXXX178861 - XXXXXXXXXXX185105" would've been much easier and clearer to decipher! -- Roy

P.S. Any luck with our little upper AWS steering post greasing problem yet? I think I'm going to type up a very clear and detailed description of this problem and give it to my dealer so he can discuss the situation with Cat. One way or another, I'd like this issue addressed and taken care of.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Roy,

Nothing on the AWS grease problem..... Let me know what they come up with, ok?

I'll be stopping by the dealer today to get all the "bulletin" parts on order so I can bring it in to be repaired when the parts come in, hopefully next week.
-John

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
John, my bud couldn't get either of the steering posts to take grease on his F7. It was comin' out everywhere but where it should've. -- Roy

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
4ufo3snw13t180620 Is mine junk? I think it is :angry: When should my dealer get them? Can i call Cat and see? If so anyone have the # to Cat i would like to call them!
Thankyou Skydog

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
Basically all f-7's...I think the run in the middle was probably just f-5's...But the only #'s that matter are the last 6.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is a pretty quick fix actually...No the tank does not come off of the sled. I have done 4 of these so far and can do the update in about half an hour now....If you need this update done just do the dealer a favor and have 1/4 tank of fuel or less.....this makes the job much easier and no fuel will have to be siphoned out spilling all over your sled.....of the four I did two had fuel pumps that had shifted down..two of the sleds that came in were not running..when you cut the fuel line you hear the vacuum noise as air gets in..it releases the other smart valve and then one is replaced with a new one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts