Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone noticed how the suspension seams to rebound very quick ? i was up in nd about a month ago first time i rode my f-7 and i noticed how it beat the hell out of me over the rough stuff !! got back and looked over some of the post on here and did some suspension changes . took it back out on a river we ride in this area . i was going about 90 mph hit a good sized bump and it sent me flying straight up i chould fell the wind pushing my sled back and forth as i flew through the air waiting for it to come back down!!!! it did and i just kept going saying o my god what the hell was that . i have never had a sled do that :huh: then tonight about six of us went out for a ride they always want me to lead beacause i know the trails very well and they always get lost ! so i took off heading down through the woods . i went flying up a hill and hit a dip ! it did it again sent me straight up in the air chould hardley hang on to it! as i was flying through the air i was waiting to slam into a tree saying this is going to hurt !!! well it came back down and i rode on :wacko: it felt like a spring board just trying to throw me off . i just dont understand why ? i got on my 00 zr i sold my friend and was like dam this thing rides great ! hit a few big bumps and it just sucked them up diden't throw me in the air like my f-7 ? don't get me wrong i love this sled the power is awsome !! and it handels very good ! but the ride needs some work i don't like getting sent flying out of control like that !!! so what do you think? maybee re valve the shocks ? that's my first guess . anyone have this problem ? when this happens im always on the gas hard and it's those bumps that you just don't see in time :lol: switta.

·
Registered
593 Posts
SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME, RIDING THRU A FIELD NEXT TO THREE OTHER SLEDS PACING AND WE ALL HIT THID DIP AND I GOT BUCKED OFF MY SLED LIKE I WAS FIRED FROM A CANNON, AND THE OTHERS HIT IT JUST AS HARD AS I DID AND THE JUST KEPT GOING. HIT THE GROUND AT ADOUT 80MPH AHESD OF THE OTHER THREE SLEDS. i THINK IT IS A VALVING PROBLEM, MY SHOCKS ARE COMING OFF TODAY TO BE REBUILT AND REVALVED. I CANT BELIEVE NO ONE ELSE ARE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS, ALSO MY BACK IS SHOOT FROM MY BOUNCING F7.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Have you guys tried different settings on your spring adjuster blocks? I think if your really light and you have these set on stiffest setting you're going to get bounced around. Something dos'nt sound right. How much do you weigh?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The rebound is one of the worst things about this sled, the shocks need to be revalved. I'm not sure if the standard suspension is the same way as I have the Sno-Pro.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the standard f-7 spring blocks on middle setting i am 160 lb . had to take off work today beacuse im so stiff!!! well maybe getting to bed at 3am had something to do with that :lol: :lol: also i noticed last night when when we took a break i chould push down on the back of my sled and it would just bounce right back up like the shock was blowen out!! i only have a little over 600 miles and it's been this way sence day one. im just not sure what what to do about this? when im on a nice flat trail it's great but watch out for them dips it will send ya flying!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I WEIGH 235 AND HAVR TRIED ALL THE SUSPENSION SET-UPS, I THINK THE SHOCK IS JUST SHOT BEAUSE I POUND DOWN THE TRAILS ON TUG HILL AND HAVE 1200 MILES

·
Registered
313 Posts
I weigh 185 and have the sno pro. I have the same prob. I rolled my sled about 2 weeks ago because of it. Hit a 2' dip at 90mph. When I landed the sled jarred hard left, then hard right and started barrel rolling. I was thrown. I was perfectly fine, just a couple of bruises and the sled cost around $100 to fix to perfect. Couldn't believe it. I got lucky. But the suspension does suck, especially on the dips! I've tried every combination of settings in the suspension. Thinking of a lighter spring for the front shock. Anyone else?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Maybe a 2 foot dip at 90 MPH is showing us a sign of the unstability of the sled with only two rear bogies. . . you say it came up left and then right.

Black Magic sells a kit to add wheels to the rear end. . . perhaps a 185 lb rider going into a 2 foot dip will show the weakness of the narrow track and lack of 4 bogies.

I wonder what Black Magic would say about this?

----
Also I recall when I was a bit to heavy on the throttle a few weeks back when going over (skipping) a large water hole. The skid hit the other side of the hole and kind of bottomed on an uneven corner on the other side. The sled did throw me up at a weird angle into the air a bit (with the sled) and it landed kind of crooked. . . (kind of like some of the landings you see from time to time on Polaris Sno-X racer sleds.) I felt at the time it was because I had hammered the throttle to much and hit the other side of the dip to hard and the narrow track didn't provide a stable rebound because it was narrow and I was rebouding off almost a point instead of a flat surface. That hard ice did rebound my Firecat without it being as stable as I might expect for a heavier sled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can someone tell me if the shock shaft on the F7 snopro is 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch diameter looking to put spacers and longer retainers on thanks.

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,045 Posts
Originally posted by NHF7@Feb 4 2003, 04:38 PM
Can someone tell me if the shock shaft on the F7 snopro is 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch diameter looking to put spacers and longer retainers on thanks.
1/2 inch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fast 600 thank you, does anyone know were i can get spacers and new retainers for my F7 snopro front shocks and maybe part #s. thank you

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I noticed the very same thing on my F7 snopro. I have the rear springs set at 2 & 3, I weigh 250 without any gear on, so it's pretty close for spring preload. I also have the coupler blocks set to 3.

After spending the weekend in HO-town in da UP and getting my a$$ bucked off at 40 mph (and watching my $7000+ baby go into that grove of trees) I noticed the VERY same thing. The rear suspension did NOT handle most of the crappy trails up there. It was very difficult for me to even stay on the seat at any speed, it was like the rear shock was spent, but in actuality, it's just fine. I don't know what the problem is, but it's really pretty frustrating.

Has anyone come up with the definite answer to what the problem is, or more importantly how to correct it? The constant fighting the sled to stay on the seat is ridiculous.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm in the process right now w/ a couple of shock companies to see what I can do. I'm a perfectionist to the handling of a machine. I race ATV's and get a better ride from my quad than my sled w/ less travel. Once I find the answer, I'll post. If anyone beats me to it, then helps us out. Till then, keep the rubber side down! B)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
i agree with the posts above. my 02 zr800cc rode much better over the big bumps at slower speeds. it just sucked them up. i will say that my f7sp rides much better at 60-100mph over 2-3 footers. so for me,all i want is to reduce the violent bucking from around15mph--55mph. i love this sled and i believe that dialing this rear suspension in a little better would top it off perfectly. and--------CAN YOU SAY POWER!DAAAAAAMMMMM! i've ridden nothing but big tripples until last years zr800cross country and i am seriously impressed with this little700 twin. OHHHH YAAAAAAAA! SEEEE YA!

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I sounds like all the complaints are with the snopro. I would put coupler blocks on lightest setting and maybe adjust the limiter straps before messing with new shocks. I weigh 190 lbs and have my F7 standard on the medium setting and I feel it rides nice in the rough stuff.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well the guys talked me into going out riding today! they said well if your not working let's go ride !!! diden't take me long to say ok stiff back or not just had to go :lol: anyway went to the same trails where i about lost it last night as i was going into the woods all i chould do was think about that dip i hit last night! and about then wham!!! hit it again even in the daylight you just chould not see it going up that hill :wacko: slamed the handel bars right into my helmet and about knocked me off!!!! the rest of the day i was scared to fly over any dips or bumps thinking it was just going to throw me off . their has to be some kind of fix for this if any of you get this figured out PLEASE let me know what you did before i end up wadded up in the woods!!!!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
How many of you that are having rear suspension problems have moved the limiter straps? Maybe that extra notch tighter is taking up the travel?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
DUUUUDE. TWICE? LAY OFF THE WACKY. NOT CONDUCIVE TO MEMORY. I CAN ATTEST. BEEN THERE. DONE THAT.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have tightened up the limiter to the middle hole, had to to be able to steer. I don't think that it would affect it THAT much though. Good question either way.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts