Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone one with an f-7 needs to take there sled to a dealer to have the ecm removed and sent back to cat for reprogramming free of charge cat is next day airing these ecus

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
LOL! Thanks for that VERY detailed and official sounding bulletin. I'll be sure to take mine out first thing tomorrow morning! LOL! -- Roy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dear roy T this is a per bullentin warning i have not anyone else say this if you like your cat do it this info is from high ups

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
scaryscott,we appreciate your info ,but we do need to be able to decipher what exactly your trying to say.Next time ,try using the english language,not abash but what the hell are you trying to convey to us?

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts
Some people who ride for long periods of time in the midrange (part throttle 40-60mph) are experiencing a lean burndown, Cat has a revised fuel map, to solve this, it is probabally more conservitave than the first, but it does seem to clean up the bottom end.

krom

·
Registered
4 Posts
the revision only involves the map for the higher temperatures (richer with light on). It doesn't change anything for normal operating temps.

·
Registered
188 Posts
JUST CHECKED WITH THE DEALER, HE SAID IF YOU HAD YOUR UPDATES DONE YOU NEED NOT WORRY ABOUT THE MELT DOWN, IT WAS A SMARTVALVE AND COOLANT ISSUE, CAUSEING THE MAX SIDE TO GOOD LEAN! I SURE HOPE HE IS RIGHT!!! <_<

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by FINFASTF7@Jan 15 2003, 11:59 AM
JUST CHECKED WITH THE DEALER, HE SAID IF YOU HAD YOUR UPDATES DONE YOU NEED NOT WORRY ABOUT THE MELT DOWN, IT WAS A SMARTVALVE AND COOLANT ISSUE, CAUSEING THE MAX SIDE TO GOOD LEAN! I SURE HOPE HE IS RIGHT!!! <_<
This very well could be. Smart valve starving the motor will cause a lean condition burning it up. He's prob right. I keep reading posts about dry gas. Dry gas is not the answer and will do your motor more harm than good if used in excess. Just wanted to give a heads up to all the people pouring dry gas into the tank. A buddie of mine burned up his poo last hear by putting too much dry gas into it when it wasn't needed.

Why did they feel the need for a smart valve rather then just putting a manual shut off on the thing for trailering?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This upgrade for the ecm is free so why not do it. AC is shipping next day air so the sled will only down for two days tops.

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts
The smart valve update had very little to do with any lean condition, the valves are either on or off, and without a vented valve in the system, there was no way for either to open once they had closed.

Krom

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
U tell me how dry gas is hard on a motor???????the only way
it can be hard is if u use the wrong stuff!!!!goto ur cat dealer
get a bottle..u can get 4-5 tank's out of it..it is safe on
all machines and WILL safe ur engine.....go with out it long
enough and u will be on here saying this no good @#$%^&
thing blew up and start blaming it on a lean spot or somthing
eles......USE DE-ICER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally posted by scaryscott@Jan 14 2003, 11:16 PM
anyone one with an f-7 needs to take there sled to a dealer to have the ecm removed and sent back to cat for reprogramming free of charge cat is next day airing these ecus
My sled's serial # was higher than the recall for the smart valve. However I would follow the suggestion to have the ECM reprogramed since mine burned down at midrange.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was told I was getting my $ back from cat then they found out the dealer had 2 left . My first sled went down scoring pistons and cyls. 3 times they were going to give me a new sled. I just got back from a test drive before we did the paperwork. the new one didn't seize but after only 14 miles they were already scuffing the pistons and cyls. every time it was completely burped, and warmed up and at about 6500- 7000 rpm when it quit. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JUST BECAUSE IT IS RUNNING DOESN'T MEAN YOUR PISTONS AREN'T SCUFFED. it only takes minutes to remove your pipe and check it out for yourself

·
Registered
676 Posts
Mine went down at 15 miles and now at 1150 miles, both at midrange. Now the dealer says he is sending the ecm away to cat for reprograming. No matter what you want to blame it on "this sucks". Cat has a problem and we the customer are paying for it. Why should we have to wait for reprograming? The dealer should have updated ecm's in stock. The season is short enough and some of us are missing saddle time. We all should get extended warranty or at least a cheque for being test pilots.

How confidence do you have in your sled, me none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by joejoe@Jan 18 2003, 05:49 PM
How confidence do you have in your sled, me none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
At 2550 miles, I have almost total confidence in my sled. B)

I think it was very likely that your F7 was hot (light flashing) when it went down at midrange. I have a very steady thumb, and many miles at constant midrange throttle in Quebec. If there was a general problem mine would have burnt down weeks ago... -_-

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I agree with rob i have confidence in my sled also. But when you guys start talking about how your sled is melting down in midrange i get worried when im riding in that area, but then i think about it and i dont really care im going to drive it how i want and if it breaks its breaks, thats what warranty is for. But my f7snopro has had none of the updates done to it and i have 1650 km's on it with no problems whatsoever, with the exception of a broke pull cord.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Rob it's great that you are trouble free, there is many F-cats in the shop that need top ends. Enough with the light thing. I've been riding for many years. I pay attention to the instrument panel and would stop if a light came on. It is not the riders fault that these sleds are burning down. How many ZR are going down(that right not many). Do you know the difference from lean out and overheating. If your riding in plenty of snow your heat light shouldn't be coming on anyways. I payed enough cash for this sled not to be going through this crap, I gave up a reliable sled to ride a unreliable one.

Maybe you lucked out and got a good. But there is a bunch and I mean a bunch that are not so good. Don't be like the manufactures and blame it on the riders.

I have riden this sled for a mile at WOT and it stays together. At 5500 to 6000 rpm it pops, makes no sense.

Enough with the light theory, these motors are living on the edge. I rather it went slower and stayed together. Hope yours stays together to!

We all just want to ride!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts