Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE!!! sorry guys I had it wrong, or I should say the Performance manual is wrong the negative (Black) and the possitive (RED) going to the TPS on the F5 are Reversed compaired to the analyzer. After thinking about this problem for about three days I figured it out. The reading on the analyzer will read 4.6 @ idle and [email protected] WOT on the F5. I really wish Cat would have mentioned this when I bought the tool.

My TPS (throttle position sensor) was totally opposite of how it was supose to be from the factory. They are supose to read 0.54 volts DC at idle and 3.6 V/DC at WOT. mine reads 4.6 at idle and 1.1 at WOT.
Now that means my 3D mapping was only correct at half throttle.
Could someone please check this out to see if it is just my sled? You need a TPS Sensor kit to test. photo supplied
Think this is just a F5 problem as the F7 uses a different system.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
OK-First off,what problems where you having that cat decided to check this?I take it your dealer had this checked as most of us dont have this type of equipment?Anyways fill me in-only major problem ive experienced with f5s is apv cables getting oil in them and slacking up on startup on very cold days-Anyways why was your dealer checking tps and what kind of symptons where you having-thanx scott

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't live close to a dealer "1600KM" so I Have been buying all the tools for my sleds, I had problems twice with TPS switches on my 98 ZR600EFI, so I decided to buy the TPS Anilyzer $135.00 Canadian. Just so I could test and tune my carbs better. That was when I found out about my F5's problem.
I opened up one of the broken TPS on my 98 and it was a" Variac" it's a fixed coil "looks like a long spring" with a movable contact which runs over the coil.
The anilyzer applies 5volt dc to the coil the throttle turns the movable contact, the voltage is supose to change from 0.54 volts DC (idle) to 3.6 volts dc (WOT) and it's progressive depending on the possition of the throttle. The 3D mapping senses this voltage and changes the timing curve so you end up with better acceleration and power. (I think, but pretty sure)
My TPS is definatly backwards, it has high voltage at idle and low voltage at WOT which also changes the timing curve in the 3D mapping. I do have great midrange but it falls off on the top.
I also bought a Sled Pro clutch alignment tool. The clutching was out 1/4 inch center to center, and I had to adjust the motor 3/8" backwards on the mag side to get it perfect.
As for the APV cables put a washer between the servo motor and the cable block, then it will never happen again
Don't take your sled to the dealer just yet, Dan at the Outdoor Shop is lookin into this and so is my dealer, I hope this is just my sled and not others. and will update tomorrow. (I Hope)

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Thanx for the info-Scott

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is nothing wrong with the TPS see the update on top, sorry about that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts