Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think I want to buy a firecat 500 for next year, but first I got a few questons. I ride fairly agressive and on mostly all grommed trails, that range from railbeds to tight twisty wooded trails to wide open logging roads. I also like to play around alot too. I tend to brake hard in the corners and get back on the gas coming out of them. I really love the feel of the firecat, but I have never drove one only sat on them in the showroom. I'll probally get a 2004 model unless they have a left over for cheaper.
Now my questions:
1) Will it be good for my riding style
2) How is it on gas (distance on one tank)
3) What is the top speed, because I drive with alot of triples
4) Can it lift the skis
5) How is the power of it (good bottom, mid, top)

·
Registered
54 Posts
#1 it should fit your riding style like a glove
#2 I get 14+ MPG but I'm kinda easy on the flipper
#3 By most accounts Low 90's in the worst conditions 100+ in the best
#4 take the coupler blocks out and hold on baby !!!
#5 Again by most accounts on this board it's the stoutest 500 you will find

This is my opinion anyway, you can take it for what it's worth

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Well your style and riding type matches me to a tee.I have an F5 snopro and love it!You will too!I've put on over 2000 miles so far this year and with no real problems,just a belt and some hifax,along with some thorough maintenance.I range anywhere from 110-140 miles to a tank,depends on where your riding.You wont hang with the triples on the topend,but this sled is no slouch from 15-75mph or so.They have a verynice midrange pull ,and the power delivery is smooth throughout the rpm range,which makes the tight and twisties that much easier.The sled has a very light feel to it and your inputs are tranfered immediately.Top speed will be around 100 or so depending on the day,and your choice of track.The sled will lift the ski's with ease!There alot of fun to play in the ditches and powerlines,gaslines,the overall fun factor is definetly a 10,Get one ,you'll enjoy it :D :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
1) Will it be good for my riding style
2) How is it on gas (distance on one tank)
3) What is the top speed, because I drive with alot of triples
4) Can it lift the skis
5) How is the power of it (good bottom, mid, top)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Yes, i ride like you and it suits me fine.
2) +155miles, big tank!
3) it's geard for 97mph and it will do that.
4) if you hit the throtle early in a corner it will lift the inner ski :unsure:
5) Ok bottom, Very good mid, ok top.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im coming off of a 1991 corgar 440 liquid cooled. I am 5'5" and 115lbs so anything I get on doesn't bog down a whole lot...haha. But I find my cougar just way to guttless down bottom and just plain ugly, but it is light and easy to drive and handles way better than I ever dreamed it would. I normally don't a hard time keeping up with the triples because they don't drive to hard but on big long strait stretches im just lost and in the twisties there normally the ones lost because I can just keep pulling away from them and I absolutly LOVE to drive the tight winedy trails.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Common guys theres gotta be some more of those F5 owners on here. Any opionions are appriated. Dont want to end up making a $9000 mistake

·
Registered
960 Posts
The f-5 is definateley your riding style! I usually go with triples too and keep up with absoluteley no problem. The 5 is very fast I had it on my speedo to 111 once (yet I still dont beleive it) This sled is reliable also since it doesn't have the efi. You won't be dissapointed. :D

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
You will like the F5. I have the snopro version and for aggresive trail riding it is really good. Even jumping in pits and stuff it is good. I would recommend EFI but it is not offered. It pulls really well for a 500. I race snocross which is slam the brake slide around the corner hammer the gas and it does just fine compared to those Snopros and REV X 440's. I did a bit of clutching mind you but even stock its a winner.

I have the 1.375" track with 96 1.45" studs and I got radared at 90miles an hour! not bad!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I think I am gonna get it next year. Hopefully if everything goes good and I get a job this summer and can get a loan. I really love the firecats and I might even spring for the F6 :D . Any more thoughts on the F5??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by cat4life@Mar 6 2003, 03:42 PM
Well I think I am gonna get it next year.  Hopefully if everything goes good and I get a job this summer and can get a loan.  I really love the firecats and I might even spring for the F6 :D .  Any more thoughts on the F5??
:)

You'll love it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm in the same boat only I have a green 03' on hold till I get my tax returns back! I'm torn between the 04 with it's two year warrenty and better graphics or the 03' with 102 studs and screen kit for under $6500! :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got home from the cat show and they didn't have a firecat 500 but they did have a F6 and all I can say is...I'M IN LOVE :wub: :wub: . I know for sure that I want a 2004 firecat 500, I wasn't sure how I was gonna like the decals but I love the green ones. So now I guess its time to start saving up some cash.

·
Registered
82 Posts
you will love an f5,i went from a 95 cougar to the 5.this sled rocks in the twisty's. i have a bud with an 02 zr 800. he says my f5 pulls just as hard as his 800 up to 80mph. he's so impressed with it he already has his deal worked out on an f7 for next year. he also raced a couple of f7's in tug hill last week. said he got embarrased by them.i guess it wasn't even close.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts