Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
My f5sp was hitting 8450 most of the time.I'm messing with the clutches now and am only seeing 8140.Stock you should hit 84-8500 rpm max on a good traction holeshot.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
If you've isolated the high tension leads(or flipped the coil),witch it sounds like you have,your probably just getting trackspin and overrevving.The max rpm without trackspin is what you should be looking at.Dont worry about seeing 8650,unless its all the time.Then you'd wanna start adjusting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my sled is just overreving. i know my track wasn't spinning. What should i do to decrease my rpms.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
gls on 8/27/2002 6:59:00 AM

No updates needed on F-5. They go on line soon. Here's some spec's.
102-104 H/P @ 8400-8500. Best initial acceleration 8250-8350. Clutching-50.5 grams ylw/wht drive spring, 51deg cam, grn secondary spring in 3rd hole, 19-40 w 70 pitch 13 wide chain, engagement-41-4200 RPM.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think max recall may be misleading. Best way to get a true reading is a long run, wot and read what the tach reads then. Cat says 8300-8500 for max hp. If after an extended run, the tach is significantly higher, then adjustments may be necessary, such as clutch weights or spring adjustments on the secondary. I don't think I'd mess with 8650. Be more concerned with low tach.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Drew- I think you need to loosen the green spring in the secondary clutch back one hole,assuming your belt is good-try that

Ryan- try tightening one hole go to the 4th or 5th?

shoot for those specs from gls adjustments and tinkering are free-why not?

·
Registered
11 Posts
ryan 01 do you have a factory 020 belt on your sled and if it is i would check the length around the outside should be 37 5/8 or within 1/16 to 1/8 longer. Another thing to check is your snubber mounts. One is on the motor mount on the clutch side and the other one is by the recoil in front and see that they are touching enough to mushroom the rubber a little bit. If that does not fix the problem take the secondary clutch off and tighten the spring to the next hole, that should bring the rpm up about 100 to 150 rpm per hole, tighten to increase rev and loosen to decrease. Your valves must be working or i dont think the rpm would even get that high.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Originally posted by vance1@Feb 6 2003, 09:27 PM
wow mine actually reads sometimes 11450 on take off, and it sounds like it too! Is something wrong?
your coil wires are interfering with the tach and sending spikes,giving the false reading.you'd have some pistons in your lap if that were really the case :eek: .Get the update to correct that problem.

·
Registered
907 Posts
ryan001, look to see if your cables are hooked up to your servo motor,if they are make sure the servo cycles on start up. I was only pulling 7900 rpm, My cables were on but servo had a stripped gear,replaced servo , pullin 8500 now.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ok I was hitting 8450 before, then I went down to 7900 one weekend after the first time I took my pipe off. A week later changed the belt and installed v-force 3's, now I hit 8040-8080 on the display. Could this be in my clutching?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Kunfu, If you lost rpm all of a sudden I dought its your clutching , it can only be a couple things exaust valves not opening(see previous post) or your pipe temp sensor wich is my best guess sence you said you had your pipe off. look to see if its loose or if the wires got pulled from the connectors when you removed the pipe. If you whant to check the sensor with an ohmmeter a reading of 0 or infinity indicates a bad sensor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts