Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The carb slides on my standard F-5 are not opening all the way. They are about 1/4 of a inch from the top. Dealer said this is normal and not to touch. If they need adjusting what is the best way?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
its normal because they are all out of adjustment, mine WAS the same . adjust it down where the cable meets the carbs. also check your balt deflection

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Remove the airbox and stick your head down there and have someone else pull the throttle cable to WFO,mine was also not opening all the way,also with a small mirror you can check the oilpump marks from the bottom side after you have removed the read skidplate.Once I adjusted the throttle slides ,the oil pump marks lined up and my consumption of oil went down from 40-1 down to 50 or 60-1,not sure if the throttle slides had any affect on performance,but I saved $ on oil :div20:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Same here... because of all the slack in the throttle cable, the oil pump was engaging long before the carb slides. Like redF5sp said, you'll at least save $$$ on the oil! :div20:

Are you using a crazy amount of oil? :eek: If so, that is probably the problem! :D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Originally posted by Wicked King@Sep 2 2003, 03:23 PM
Same here... because of all the slack in the throttle cable, the oil pump was engaging long before the carb slides. Like redF5sp said, you'll at least save $$$ on the oil! :div20:

Are you using a crazy amount of oil? :eek: If so, that is probably the problem! :D
My sled hasn't used any oil yet. :eek:

I've got a '04 sitting in the garage but when the snow comes I want to make sure it's as FAST as it can be. So I wanted to make sure the carbs where ready to go WFO. :div20:

I noticed that there is a screw set to stop the opening of the carbs and mine stop about a 1/4" before it gets to that. That's what made me wonder if they where opening all the way or not. Do you know why that screw/stop is there? Can the carbs open to far?

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
You do not want the carb slides bottoming out-So yes they can open to far as the purpose of the stop screw-

Loch i would ride it first to get your premixed oil and gas through the system(Break in) then start screwing with oil pump adjustments and carbs etc.
At least get your oil ratio figured out
Yes you can take the airbox out and look to see how far your slides are moving
Your slides should be about a 1/16 to 1/8 inch from the top at wide open throttle
If you look through your carb at wide open your carb slide should just be tinkering on the edge of that barrel or hole at top edge where the air flows through-You will still see a little bit of carb slide,design of flatsides versus roundsides-Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts