Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took the f out on the lake today....before I did I took all the advice read on these forums..Teck`s went through everything... added 102 studs ,heat soaked the engine a couple of times the day before....took it out today did some milage lots of on /off... .condtions were pretty close to glare ice a little bite of snow -2c ...it felt tight.. first run was 112mph then a few 115mph it was faster every run last run was 117...and I know there is more it was still climbing , speedo was at about 121mph give or take....I was very pleased with resusts....only thing beeting it was 03 mach Z ( ported,piped) running very strong did 120mph..with a crazy mid...going back out on boxing day and its supose to be -12 to -15.......merry x-mas ..cheers.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nice numbers. How long were u running and where were u at? What does heat soaking the engine mean?

·
Super Advanced Member
3,369 Posts
Nice numbers. How long were u running and where were u at? What does heat soaking the engine mean?[/b]

When ever you have a new or rebuilt engine it's a good idea to heat soak it. What that entails is starting the engine and allowing it to run on a stand until its at operating temp. Shut it off and allow it to cool to ambiant temp. Usually takes several hours. Repeat three times.

Then Let R Buck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When ever you have a new or rebuilt engine it's a good idea to heat soak it. What that entails is starting the engine and allowing it to run on a stand until its at operating temp. Shut it off and allow it to cool to ambiant temp. Usually takes several hours. Repeat three times.

Then Let R Buck.[/b]

exactly....we were running about 1500 maybe a bite more.....I wish I had more room ...guna look for a better line Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've never heard of heat soaking the engine. I have a new F8 sitting in my garage...zero miles.

How long do you run it on the stand and at what rpm ?

Did you take the time to break in your brake pads as well. The manual suggests heating up the pads at low speeds and then letting them cool off. Could you do this while heat soaking the engine ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i park it outside garage spark it and let it idle for about 5 minuts...then i clear it up with a fast idle then shut off...waited a few hrs and did it again..... the brake pads got broke-in really good the shut down was very very short ....i think i broke-in my shorts too.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
How can you get ANY hook up on the F1K with only 102 studs? That is a pull out just waiting to happen IMHO.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thanks for the info.....Can't wait to see what mine will do!!!!! C'on snow.....I did the samthing as you mentioned to all my sleds, starting them, warm up to normal temps then shutting off the engine...till the next start up, with engine cold and repeat...Works nice! :banana:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How can you get ANY hook up on the F1K with only 102 studs? That is a pull out just waiting to happen IMHO.[/b]

I was not looking for hole shot...just top end...less stud ,less rotating mass...more speed. I never use to run studs...but with the snow condtion this year its a must.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Took my F1000SP out Friday, 14" track bone stock sled. I put 20 miles on the sled then starting running it. I was running with a stock 06 F7 and an 06 Apex with the Woodys power up kit. We were running a good 1/2 mile. Off the line I would pull them very hard due to the 204 chisels. So we did 20mph roll ons. All 3 of us would stay even until about 100mph then they would both pull away (the F7 would walk away from both sleds by the end of the run) The F7 would beat me by about 5 sleds. Was not real impressed. I was running 116 top end, Speedo is dead on with the radar gun. Both the F7 and the Apex are new and put about 20 miles on them as well, all of us running pre mix.

Went home installed bulls eyes, D+D Y pipe, Pure logic box, and clutch kit. Went back out Sunday, running on 1/4" of water in places on the ice, again did 20mph roll ons with the same sleds. The 1000 would pull away from both of them hard and would have them by 8 to 10 sled lengths by the end of the run. The mid range pull was awsome. The belt is running about 1/4" down in the sheaths so I need to get some extra secondary spacers and and see if that brings the belt back up to get off the line stronger. Every one keeps saying wait till you get 80 to 100 miles on the sled, anxious to see if it does get better with more milage on it. Have about 55 miles on it now.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Piped Bravo, in theory your right about less rotating mass, but I've seen it time and time again it rarely works. I promise you if you put more studs ( preferably sharpened ) studs in you'll go faster and your speedo will be more accurate.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Took my F1000SP out Friday, 14" track bone stock sled. I put 20 miles on the sled then starting running it. I was running with a stock 06 F7 and an 06 Apex with the Woodys power up kit. We were running a good 1/2 mile. Off the line I would pull them very hard due to the 204 chisels. So we did 20mph roll ons. All 3 of us would stay even until about 100mph then they would both pull away (the F7 would walk away from both sleds by the end of the run) The F7 would beat me by about 5 sleds. Was not real impressed. I was running 116 top end, Speedo is dead on with the radar gun. Both the F7 and the Apex are new and put about 20 miles on them as well, all of us running pre mix.

Went home installed bulls eyes, D+D Y pipe, Pure logic box, and clutch kit. Went back out Sunday, running on 1/4" of water in places on the ice, again did 20mph roll ons with the same sleds. The 1000 would pull away from both of them hard and would have them by 8 to 10 sled lengths by the end of the run. The mid range pull was awsome. The belt is running about 1/4" down in the sheaths so I need to get some extra secondary spacers and and see if that brings the belt back up to get off the line stronger. Every one keeps saying wait till you get 80 to 100 miles on the sled, anxious to see if it does get better with more milage on it. Have about 55 miles on it now.[/b]

That must have been a really good runnin F7 because typically they dont do much over 110-115 but you got good gains with y pipe and bulleyes what kind of clutch kit are you running??
piped bravo... was your F1000 totally stock ?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Firecat ...where the heck are you running we only have a inch of snow????

AC07.....the yamahadoo will be getting tested this week,I'll be sure to let you know how it all goes down ....well most of it anywayLOL

And to all you guys that are using radar guns,be very carfull when you quote # form those bushnell guns as they aren't as accurate as staker guns.

Cliff

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.