Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were riding N.NH yesterday and it was -34 when we went out,brrr. When we got on the trail it was just groomed and hard as concrete. I knew I was going to have "check engine" light problems as soon as I saw the conditions of the trail snow. I tried to stay to the side but there was not much loose side trail snow. About .5 into riding ( with some street crossings) the light started flashing. We stopped, because we were going the wrong way, and I asked my buddy with a machZ how he was running and he said it was hotter than normal. The other sled with us has a temp gauge but it was broken. We went to turn around and the FormulaZ 583 locked track, probably the chain.
After back tracking on the trail back to the trucks my sled started flashing again about .5 miles. At that point it was time to get off the trail and I jumped into a field and buzzed about and of course the light shut right off. We loaded up and went to pickup our friend and went home after 1 mile of riding. It was to cold to fix the sled and someone forgot to take the tools when they left home...

I have never ridden in such cold temps before...is running hot like we were common on fresh groomed trails? I was watching the MachZ's track and it didn't look like much snow was coming up to cool the heat exchanger.
We didn't ride very much but it looked like it was going to be a long day if we did get to keep going. I'm just curious if this happens alot to you extreme cold weather rides or not and if you do anything to keep from running hotter than normal

btw i'm running the stock flap, not cut with a snopro strap

·
Registered
320 Posts
In very cold conditions, the snow sometimes freezes solid and causes the sled to overheat especially when it has been warm before and some of the snow melted (even just a little). Your friends track probably locked from the hard pack snow too. His sliders probably overheated and melted, then when he stopped his sliders cooled back off but with impressions from the track in them. This would cause the track to lock up. By chance did anyone riding behind him smell something like burning plastic?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point about the track freezing...i've heard of it before but never seen it happen. That could of very well happened because he was fine then we sat for 5 min and as soon as we took off his sled would just squat like it wanted to go.
I call him today and tell him to check the sliders

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, we were in Tug Hill a few years ago and it was very cold. The week prior was warm and as soon as we hit the trails we could 'smell' trouble. About 2 miles into the ride we stopped to decide which way to go and myself and another friend could smell someone's sliders burning. Sure enough, when we went to take off again one of the guys tracks wouldn't spin (he was running a 1-1/4" paddle track which held the sliders even further away from what little loose snow there was). After lifting and dropping the rear of the sled a few times and some pulling on the track, it finally broke loose. He says it vibrated like hell until the sliders wore down so they were smooth again, but we did get a full day of riding in!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I currently ride a Formula Z 583 and I have been having recent overheating problems. This is the first time I've ridden in anything below -5 so i didn't know what was goin on. It overheated first on a warm day but that was because I had a bad gasket and anti-freeze was leaking out. Then I've had problems ever since but now that I think about it, everytime i've gone after that its been at least -10 outside. Thanks for the info, i'll wait for the warm weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts