Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2003 SKS that I bought used. The previous owner kept the Polaris gas can for the rear rack. I now see on Polaris web site they sell a similar can for the Fusion RMK rack. Would this fit the SKS/Edge frame? Thanks Mark

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a 2003 Switchback and picked up the new can they are selling from Polaris. It was close to fitting but about an inch to wide. Wide being in the length of the tunnel, not accross to tunnel.

I did not see anyway to modify the aluminum cross members and make it work, so it went back to the dealer.

The quest continues to find one of the original tanks.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by samatt@Oct 7 2005, 11:17 AM
I have a 2003 Switchback and picked up the new can they are selling from Polaris.  It was close to fitting but about an inch to wide.  Wide being in the length of the tunnel, not accross to tunnel. 

I did not see anyway to modify the aluminum cross members and make it work, so it went back to the dealer. 

The quest continues to find one of the original tanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=914471
[/quote]

I just have a WalMart one ratchet tied to rack. Last year I saw the SKS/RMK one on Ebay selling for $50.00. That was a bit high, but a very nice fit in rack.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I cut and welded together an old atv rack and bolted it up to my VE and can strap a 5 gal gas can to it. The so called racks on there just didn't cut it for me, now I can get some real riding in. And yes the Polaris cans were expensive as crap.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My advice is to find a regular 2 to 2 1/2 gallon can that will fit and get some web straps to hold it down. Bunges will never hold over a good day of riding. The Polaris plastic cans made for these models are not very good. Mine has the vent cap stripped and doesn't stay tight. I know others that have had the same problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The orignal gas can they used to sell was pulled from dealers, as well as out of the Polaris catalog due to someone catching on fire.................I don't know all the details but I do know that it happend. What I did on my '05 was bought 2 one gallon cans, heated them up with a heat gun and reformed the plastic to fit inside the alum. brackets. They fit nice and snug and with 2 of them side by side they utilize the whole area, and are low not getting in my way. I ran one 1 inch web strap through the grab handles and through the handles. Very nice fit and with putting on 1200 miles last year I never had a problem with them coming loose, even when I rolled my sled down a mountain last year. Although I am still hunting for a orignal gas can from Polaris that will fit, because they are out there.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I thought if the new tanks would work, then I would use one of them. Never thought of reheating the tank to re-form it. That more than likely would give the new tanks enough movement to make it into the old frame. But at $20 +$, I think I may go without. In my ride's there are very few times that we are not withhin reasonable distance to a gas station. Just have to make sure to properly plan ahead, but then that is in my ride area.

Dealer said that the old style did leak a fair amount and that is why they got pulled.

May have to re-think the whole need for one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 2003 SKS that I bought used. The previous owner kept the Polaris gas can for the rear rack. I now see on Polaris web site they sell a similar can for the Fusion RMK rack. Would this fit the SKS/Edge frame? Thanks Mark[/b]
tour buddy the way to go it around $250. you can buy online

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I want the gas can!!

But I can't rationalize spending $24.00+Tax & shipping for a $5.00 can!!

The shitty part is the custom made hold-downs for the Switchbacks/RMK's Can we get those seperate?

I looked a ta ratchet strap for a hold down, but I want the OEM straps at the correct length, and correct ends on them!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I want the gas can!!

But I can't rationalize spending $24.00+Tax & shipping for a $5.00 can!!

The shitty part is the custom made hold-downs for the Switchbacks/RMK's Can we get those seperate?

I looked a ta ratchet strap for a hold down, but I want the OEM straps at the correct length, and correct ends on them!![/b]
I went to my local hardware store and purchased the nylon strap and buckles and made my own..when I ordered the tank Polaris didn't have any of the straps.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The shitty part is the custom made hold-downs for the Switchbacks/RMK's Can we get those seperate?[/b]
yes, if you look at the polaris catalog, there is a part number for replacement straps.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
yes, if you look at the polaris catalog, there is a part number for replacement straps.[/b]

Is this somewhere in the online catalog? Cuz "BLITZ" makes the plastic 2.5 gallon fuel container that fits in there perfectly (available at any Wal-mart) I just want the OEM polaris hold-down straps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts