Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any way to give a 96 580 ext a better suspension i love the sled but suspension is no good for the bumps.

will a newer year suspension drop in or aftermarket parts available?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I installed a ZL skid frame in my 94 ZR 580. I was looking into the "LongLegs" kit I read about in a magazine. My dealer looked over the article and he thought it sounded a lot like an anti-ratchet kit Cat put out for the Powder Special. This was in 98 I think. He asked me to give him some time to think about it and he felt he could select some new Cat parts to retrofit the old skid frame to give it longer travel. A week later he asked to take a look at something they had just got in. They had ordered some salvage stuff from the factory and there was a complete skid frame. He offered it to me for a very good price and it was the best thing I've done to that machine. A ZR skid frame should bolt right in, the ZL skid frame as the rear tunnel mounts further forward because of the softer geometry, but the new holes were well within the stiffener plates. I drilled two new holes for the rear mounts, traded my freshly rebuilt Fox front arm shock for a longer ZL shock, my rear Fox fit the new suspension, and I have full long travel with TSL in my '94. All this for less than $300 CDN.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i could take a 98 zl or zr skid frame and shocks and put it in only mods being new mounting holes in rear. will any other years work?

·
Registered
362 Posts
you can get the parts you need from a 1997 zl440. these are the same parts you would get in a "long legs" kit. i believe its the 2 rear arms,bushings and springs. this will boost it from 8.5 to 13.5

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Bigdog, I would say probably any other year would work. If you get a ZR skid frame you shouldn't need to drill new holes, it should bolt right in. To check this just measure the centre - centre of the mounting bolts on your machine and compare that measurement to newer ZR's and ZL's. The other critical measurement is at the front arm. My ZR chassis has three holes, one above the other, at the front arm mounting location. I measured a ZL in the showroom and the distance from the bolt to the running boards matched the centre hole of the three, which was where my old skid was mounted.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thxs guys will now be checking prices on whats laying around anybody out there that has them pm me or post here thxs again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts