Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have an 03 800 motor, mild mods with stock valves, looking into upgrading. which is better for the price you pay? any reliability issues with either?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Except the Ti valves are no longer available from Polaris. A few dealers still have them as stragglers in their inventory, but only SS is now being produced.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,602 Posts
Originally posted by xc600syclone@Sep 17 2005, 09:13 PM
Except the Ti valves are no longer available from Polaris.  A few dealers still have them as stragglers in their inventory, but only SS is now being produced.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=879624
[/quote]
That's correct.

I don't know of the stainless steel being better than titanium, but they are certainly less expensive to produce.

The titanium is used in the 700/900 Cleanfire two stroke.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went through the stockers, and the Ti Valves both had heat damage and both claimed under warranty with Polaris, I have the SS in and they look OK. I thought I would go with TI to save some weight and what's cooler the TI Valves? But I didn't work out for me, the TI's bent slightly and started to deform slightly at the sides of valves. The 800's do have hot cylinders on the Exhaust side thus the major problems with their Valves, I would go with SS for realiablity reason.
Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok then. I guess I'll get what's still available. I've got a few months to go. not like those guys out west who are already seeing the snow

·
Registered
87 Posts
does anyone know the part # for the stainless valves. my dealer cant find the stainless only the ti and they are discontunied.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yes the stainless are the way to go but my question was a part # my dealer cannot find and i have searched the internet and only found the titanium but they are no longer aviable. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
87 Posts
thanks for the part # :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Originally posted by speedtriple1@Sep 26 2005, 05:26 PM
thanks for the part # :beerchug:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=893931
[/quote]
You can't get the original plain aluminum 800 exhaust valves. The parts ordering system upgrades them to the 2202838 SS kit w/springs.

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Originally posted by ThinkTwiceZ71@Oct 7 2005, 01:29 PM
http://www.purepolaris.com/Detail.aspx?Ite...&nPage=4&nSet=1
the titanium one's are still available on the polarisweb site  :div20:

Item #: 2874996
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=914800
[/quote]
When I said this part is no longer available from Polaris, I was being accurate. It was not available since before Feb. 14, 2005. Probably somewhere on the Polaris consumer website, there is a lot of stuff that is not available and maybe never was.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The stainless steel ones are better than the titanium ones. The titanium ones are so light they tend to "bounce" and start to wear into the cylinder. The stainless steel ones are heavier and stay closed better at low speed instead of bouncing. I replaced my stock ones with stainless steel ones after learning my lesson and having a valve fall into the cylinder, ruining a glorious day of sledding.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris VR1 850 137"
1,326 Posts
Originally posted by sr_erick@Oct 7 2005, 06:10 PM
The stainless steel ones are better than the titanium ones. The titanium ones are so light they tend to "bounce" and start to wear into the cylinder. The stainless steel ones are heavier and stay closed better at low speed instead of bouncing. I replaced my stock ones with stainless steel ones after learning my lesson and having a valve fall into the cylinder, ruining a glorious day of sledding.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=915101
[/quote]

Wrong. The Titanium valves are almost 2 times heavier than the stock aluminum valves and the Stainless valves are almost 4 times heavier than the originals. There is no bouncing of the valves. If your valves bounce, you have a serious spring or jug problem. The valves dont open until your rpms are over 5500 rpms anyway. Besides, Titanium has a higer melting point than stainless, so the Titanium valves are better.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Originally posted by Maydaze@Oct 7 2005, 05:44 PM
Wrong.  The Titanium valves are over 3 times heavier than the stock aluminum valves and the Stainless valves are 4 times heavier than the originals.  There is no bouncing of the valves.  If your valves bounce, you have a serious spring or jug problem. The valves dont open until your rpms are over 5500 rpms anyway.  Besides, Titanium has a higer melting point than stainless, so the Titanium valves are better.

:beer:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=915167
[/quote]

what he said

1 - 20 of 21 Posts