Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the measurement specs for adjusting the actuating cables below the servo motor on a F7??
The operating manual says 36.1 - 38.1mm but it doesn't specify if that measurement is for a F7 or F5. I don't have a performance manual yet, so can anyone tell me what measurement range is correct for a F7? My F7 has 0 miles and measured 34mm, which is why I'm double checking this out. Either my sled is wrong and needs adjusted or the operating manual is wrong. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Jeff,

The F5 & F7 have the same spec. Here is the info right from the service manual...

500cc = 36.15mm/1.423 in.(minimum) - 38.15mm/1.501 in.(maximum)
700cc = 36.15mm/1.423in. (minimum) - 38.15mm/1.501 in.(maximum)

Hop this helps....
-John

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jleosnow, thanks for confirming the measurement range. Looks like my F7 was set incorrectly from the factory. I measured 34mm of exposed cable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine were also 34mm. A short cable should not affect top end performannce since the valve would be opening sooner. Just wondering because mine is slower than my buddies f7 on top end.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crash,

Here's my $.02. If our cables are 34mm, then yes our APVs are opening sooner or maybe to soon, which could negatively affect bottom end and mid range grunt. Top end should not be affected.

I think this needs investigated a little deeper. Crash, are you and I the exception or are more F7s set at 34mm. Then the question I've been asking, What is the correct spec range???

I noticed D&D had a precalibrated measurement gauge for sychronizing the cables. I'll call D&D and ask what specs they are using.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, Heres the info I got from D&D and from Dakota Performance.

The correct spec is what is listed in the manuals 36.1mm - 38.1mm. Both speed shops said they had seen several F7s with incorrect settings from the factory. According to the manuals and these two speed shops, if your F7 is not within these specs, you need to adjust your actuating cables for optimal engine performance.

If your a detailed tuner like myself, these subtle tuning tidbits could make the difference between two F7s, one being faster than the other.

Also, It was mentioned that replacing the stock 2" snorkal airbox intake tube with the 4" SnoPro or S.W. tube may be a backwards move. It was explained that there is greater air speed or velocity created by the 2" tube, which is why Cat uses the 2" tube versus the 4" tube. Best results are 2" tube with 4 airbox TPI Lowboy or Bullseye inserts. Also, Vforce3 reeds.

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,046 Posts
Originally posted by Jeff - Rev'n7@Dec 31 2002, 09:38 AM
Crash,

Here's my $.02. If our cables are 34mm, then yes our APVs are opening sooner or maybe to soon, which could negatively affect bottom end and mid range grunt. Top end should not be affected.
The shorter cable does not mean they are opening sooner, but the valve is opening wider.
The engine when it cycles the servo motor at a set rpm's opens the valves. The cable length gives the distance of how far the valves will open, not how fast.....

·
Registered
394 Posts
I hate to give out all my go-fast tricks, but some guys are hooking the powervalves for manual operation.
This way you have full control of when they open and close, works great!

·
Registered
477 Posts
First off how do you mange to open the valves manually. I would think that would be a very archaic setup. The valves are set to open and work with port timing and pipe etc at specific rpm. Once past that rpm they are open or closed, I don't see how opening them any sooner or later is gonna offer an advantage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts