Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replace the cable in both my 2015 and 16 Axys sleds. I have changed 6 cables that were broken at the crimp on the valve side of the cable in my shop this year. I carry a spare with me now and have used it twice in the last couple of weeks on the trail for buddies machines. Did one Saturday night at 10pm. If your sled all of sudden won`t go over 6000rpm and engine light flashes check the cable first as I bet it is broken. Move the actuator arm back and forth and stick your finger up under the valve housing to see if the valves are moving, if not your cable is toast. I hope Polaris updates this cable as I have replaced many and they all fail in the same place.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have replace the cable in both my 2015 and 16 Axys sleds. I have changed 6 cables that were broken at the crimp on the valve side of the cable in my shop this year. I carry a spare with me now and have used it twice in the last couple of weeks on the trail for buddies machines. Did one Saturday night at 10pm. If your sled all of sudden won`t go over 6000rpm and engine light flashes check the cable first as I bet it is broken. Move the actuator arm back and forth and stick your finger up under the valve housing to see if the valves are moving, if not your cable is toast. I hope Polaris updates this cable as I have replaced many and they all fail in the same place.
Really wish Polaris would have designed the new VES system without a cable, you would think they could've learned something from Arctic Cat over the years. Think ROTAX! Sorry but it's true.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Really wish Polaris would have designed the new VES system without a cable, you would think they could've learned something from Arctic Cat over the years. Think ROTAX! Sorry but it's true.
Thats what I thought when they came out with the ho engine.What were they thinking....and then have it servo controlled on top of it.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Was also not a fan of cable actuation, one of the things my cat buddies were constantly screwing with. But something I believe compounds the issue is that no one seems to be cleaning the valves. First cable failure I have heard though was recently, buddies '15 with 6400 on it broke.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me guys it is happening and I routinely clean the valves, most failures have occurred between the 3000-4000 mile mark although we changed one trailside on a 2017 Saturday night with 1750 miles on it. My buddies 2015 has been replaced twice due to failure. Having one of these cables with you can make your weekend much better as they work like shit when they break, 6000rpm and 50mph back to the truck.
I suggest to put a brand new one on and keeping the old for a spare... believe me it is happening out there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Are you guys trailering on open trailers much? (salt corrosion) Just curious. Hadn't heard of this being a big problem until this post.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Got a part number for us?? whomever looks it up first please share .. easy to carry a spare as I have a few 800 HOs in the group.. could trade the cable trail side for a free night of drinking at the lodge that night :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can clean them without doing a relearn in most cases so I guess you would be able to change the cable without doing a relearn. Or maybe do the relearn at a later time?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Ok I'm not in here to stir up shit but. I know of Cat guys that had issues with having to reset atv cable lengths more than they should have and even a few that replaced a cable or two prematurely. (Springs also) the answer to less maitenance and longevity is keeping the valves clean and lubricate the shit out of the cable and the top of the valve where the spring is. I've done this and never replaced or had to adjust a cable with sleds with well over 10000 miles. Preventative maitenance works.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Without ability to do relearn, how does cable get you out of trouble on the trail? or am I missing something?
the cable has no adjustment, no relearn required when changing out for a new one. Only when cable gets stretched will you need to do this. We have not had to re learn one yet, like plowboy said you can clean them without relearning. Believe me having a cable on hand has made some happy people on the trail, went from frowning to smiling again in a 20 minute fix.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I'm not in here to stir up shit but. I know of Cat guys that had issues with having to reset atv cable lengths more than they should have and even a few that replaced a cable or two prematurely. (Springs also) the answer to less maitenance and longevity is keeping the valves clean and lubricate the shit out of the cable and the top of the valve where the spring is. I've done this and never replaced or had to adjust a cable with sleds with well over 10000 miles. Preventative maitenance works.
I clean my valves every 1000 miles or sooner and always lubricate the cable. The problem is the cable is fraying and breaking off at the crimped end where the nut bolts onto the guillotines. I trailer in an enclosed trailer as well. I keep up on maintenance and this is an issue that many will have as the mileage goes up. These are not quite the same setup as the cat and only one cable..

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what setup you have on your cables but I know the issue I've seen is with cable friction causing eventual fatigue and the springs just becoming brittle after time. So I'm going to let a little secret out here but don't tell anyone what I use on anything I need to lube on my Cat's. Got this stuff a long time ago from a dealer that was a buddy of mine and I used to sled with. Always sold both Cat & Poo. Unfortunately he passed away way too young. This is a container that's is old because it is used very sparingly but is a fantastic product and I'm not sure if it's still available but there will be something similar I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts