Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday morning I took the old 2001 SRX out for a ride to The Gathering Place in Redfield. The Oswego County Sheriffs had a stop at the 4 way intersection on the end of the Winona Trail. All of our group had perfectly legal paperwork but my sled was the oldest. The old one walked up to me and said start it and lift the hood. The motor and exhaust is 100% factory 2001. He said it was loud and wrote me a ticket.
I asked him where his dB meter was and how did he determine that my sled was too loud. Did not get an answer only a ticket for modified exhaust which it is not.
Going to fight it. Like in may cases they were PISSED that we were all legal and not riding crazy

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Why would they be mad you where all legal and riding well ? If a busy day there is always a jackass nearby.

Some older sleds do have pretty loud exhausts stock. I agree you shouldn’t have to deal with them not knowing. Stinks for sure. Hope you win.

·
Registered
39,969 Posts
Geez, a buddy has an 02 srx 700, its not excessively loud at all. He rides the old forge area a few times a season. Never had an issue. Wonder what the difference is for the 01 or you just ran into a prick.

·
Registered
2012 Polaris Assault 800
1,175 Posts
I've run into a couple DEC officers throughout the years that were absolute A-holes. They should not have been in a position of authority and deal with the public. I've met ones with a chip on their shoulder (tough guy talking down to you), ones looking for anything to write you up for an infraction, one's wanting to hand out tickets for going too fast (even though they have no radar gun) and you are riding with your family/kids! and yes the old exhaust note being loud (even though they have no decibel meter) and the exhaust is stock. I suggest every B.S. ticket handed out by the few bad DEC officers should result in a law suit. Sue the officer and the DEC. Writing letters to their superiors may get a response, but for the most part, they don't care. They will care when clubs and the average rider stand up for being harassed and fight back. I do not care for the loud fart cans and the Tucker Hibbard wanna be's......they deserve tickets. Most of the DEC officers are decent outdoor people themselves, but they need to weed out the brainless, couldn't make it as a Trooper, idiots.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I would take a picture of the exhaust and maybe pictures to prove you didn't remove an after market.

Should have taken a picture of him pointing at the exhaust that would be proof you didn't change it.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Even though it is 100% stock and compliant to 2001 regulations, a 19 year-old sled is a lot noisier than a modern sled. Hopefully, you were able to take a picture of the officer standing next to the "offending" exhaust. Otherwise, it is his word against yours.

The law needs to be amended specify a dB requirement, not "stock" as it is impossible to buy stock replacement parts for many older sleds.

Good luck to you in court.

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
Exactly what they said about the pictures. That's the only way. If the guy wouldn't let you take His pic, you should have taken a picture of his car, the ticket, the sled, all within the same minute or two. all for time stamp purposes to show the judge.

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
Older sleds sometimes have broken or moded baffles internally. Some folks drill extra holes in the baffles, then weld the muffler back closed. If this is the case, it still may not get waived. Might require a real DB test to get waived. Might want to get one before court.:buttrock::bc:

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Fight back . File complaint letters with the dept. fight it in court . Etc. only way these douche bags are gonna knock off thier shut is when they are afraid of getting sued (again) or when thier leaders are afraid that they will be held responsible for thier officers actions. File a letter of complaint for failure to supervise against his nxt ranking official. That failure to supervise is what a lot of depts use to throw shots at thier supervisors when that song have much else to go on. At the end of the day. If an officer is out making bad misinformed judgements it’s his supervisors fault. (At least that how the depts look at it ) then spend a few bucks and have a law firm send them a notice to file claim against them. Bet you do t get anymore tickets from that guy again. Bet when you show up on your sled it will be coffee break time for him.

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
Take a picture of your sleds muffler, find a picture on the Internet of an old yamaha brochure showing the same muffler, or a parts diagram photo, maybe your muffler even has the part number stamped on it. Hope they don't argue that you just put the stock one back on after getting the ticket. It may not pass a db test, but, if it's oem its oem, just old. I had a new 97 ZRT that had individual silencers, stock. Not a three in and three out muffler, but three actual tiny stingers. Darn loud. No way would it pass a test today, especially if the stingers had burned out a bit.

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
Lawyers cost too much. Do homework. Be polite. Draft a letter to the clerk with your info. Offer to pay the court charge if you have too. ($50?).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go to court with the picture of the stock exhaust and a video showing the registration stickers and exhaust. Judge will throw it out. They hate it when these rookies waste their time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TICKET

I was with 4 APEX's and they are very quiet. I will send to them the law that mentions the dB limits and the fact that they did not measure the sound level, also pictures of the stock system

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I was with 4 APEX's and they are very quiet. I will send to them the law that mentions the dB limits and the fact that they did not measure the sound level, also pictures of the stock system
Don't make the dB law the main focus of the letter. Let them know you were with other 4 stroke sleds that are quieter than average and your sled is an older a 2 stroke and louder than average, but it did have stock exhaust system and there is no reason to believe it wouldn't pass the test if the LEO would have performed it. Maybe even volunteer to have the sled tested. Have a picture of your exhaust and a picture of a new sled if you can find one or maybe a parts diagram.

https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003bed1f8700212fc840b72/exhaust

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Go to court with the picture of the stock exhaust and a video showing the registration stickers and exhaust. Judge will throw it out. They hate it when these rookies waste their time.
Yeah,Unless something changed you re innocent until proven guilty.If they want to prove you were guilty they needed a db test or at least pics of your exhaust showing that its not stock.I went through this years ago with aftermarket exhaust and they didn't have a db reading so they just threw it out.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Absolute garbage you have to even deal with this. Johnny law needs to figure themselves out.
It's worth the gamble for them because most people won't fight it. Pay the ticket and move on. In a couple weeks the local paper's court news here will be full of Mass, NH, and CT names with noise violations and left of center violations. No way is someone driving back up here to fight a 130$ ticket.
And locally, they are hammering both of those infractions after the fatal accidents of the past weekend, just to make a strong presence of law enforcement.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts