Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first sled its a 1979 Yamaha Exciter 440, I know nothing about snowmobiles but i like to ride them! Anyways when i bought the sled the track is really really loose and I am wondering if someone could tell me how to adjust the suspension to tighten the track or point me in the direction where i can find the information. Also the track that is on there is from a 1986 Yamaha Phazor PZ480, is that the problem or should it still fit?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
if the suspentions the same as the phazer there should be 2 bolts at the back you can get at through the windows. come straight in from behind the snowflap and there should be 2 14mm bolt.
IF its the same as the phazer

and the phazer has a 116" track so im guessing so does the exiter because if it should have a 121 the phazer trak would be very tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Eric, i don't know how to find out whether the track is a 116 or a 121, but here are some pictures of the sled...any thoughts are welcome!! thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the info Eric, i don't know how to find out whether the track is a 116 or a 121, but here are some pictures of the sled...any thoughts are welcome!! thanks

[/b]

Wow thats really really loose, im not a snowmobile tech but that track looks to be too big. Ill see if I can dig up some info for you. I have a 78 exciter back in the days it was a blast to ride. Are you planning on restoring this sled? Did you find the bolts he was talking about? If not look at the track right behind the snow flap and in between the windows on the track you will see the bolts one on each side. If not spin the track a little and you will see them. Those back bogie wheels need to be loosened up to tighten the track I believe, just make just that the track is aligned after you try tighting the track. You can do this by rotating the track and making sure the windows are still in line the with slides on the skid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts