Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.... I need some advice on setting up my rear suspension so my hyfax wears at a normal rate. Here's the scenario...........

I went for a 60 mile ride yesterday and about 1/2 way through I noticed my hyfax is very low right below the rail reinforcements on both sides. The rest of the hyfax is fine. I've installed an extra pair of wheels on the outside of the skid in the very front and plan on installing another 2 in the middle. The rear wheels are 8" billet's with a PEM offset axle and I'm only running the 2 inside the rails. My RipSaw is clipped every 3rd and it has stretched considerably since I first rode it 2 weeks ago. Can the fact that the track is new accelerate the wear of the hyfax? Will the addition of 2 extra outside wheels help take the pressure off the rails 4" behind them.

I do know one thing about this problem and that is...... I don't want to be installing new sliders after every ride!!!! Thanks.

SK.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
ditch the extra wheels and run scratchers. also you need to break in the hyfax to get the best life from them. i have gotten 500 miles from some and over 2000 miles from others. i have gotten alot more miles after i installed scratchers.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I had the same problem riding my 800 RMK around minnesota, I found scratchers worked the best, and they help you run cooler also. Craig

·
Registered
423 Posts
i've heard of this happening with others that are running tracks with every 3rd clipped. that means there is a lot of rubber dragging on the hyfax creating more heat. the excessive wear in one spot is the "weak" point. like others have said: run scratchers to help cool the hyfax and i would consider running wheels as close to the problem area as possible to relieve some pressure there.

another option would be to add more clips to the track. this will lower your friction (less heat) and may give you some more speed. :thumbsup:

of course hyperfax with teflon/graphite inserts help too- a little pricey though.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Rich,
Ive heard of people installing these buttoms over the closed window. Saw them avertisted in SnowTech. Might be easier than knocking out windows and installing clips. Just a thought.

Rick

·
Registered
901 Posts
Make sure your track isn't too tight. I run mine till it ratchets and then tighten it up a few turns. I'll get 2000 miles on a set in good snow.
I once went through a set of sliders, 3 sets of scags, and a ski on a 3 day weekend. One of those "low" snow weekends with the guys.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rich,
Ive heard of people installing these buttoms over the closed window. Saw them avertisted in SnowTech. Might be easier than knocking out windows and installing clips. Just a thought.
Rick[/b]
My track is open every window so I can't go with the buttons. My plan is to get scratchers and install clips so the track is fully clipped :thumbsup: I think that might be my solution.

SK.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
hey sofa the more wheel on the prox skid the worse the hyfax wear. what mr said about breaking them in to will help but running many different setups the more wheel the more wear. i onlgy run the two inside ones up frot nad the rear 4 any 1300 miles last season of 90% of the time low snow and still have half left with almost perfect consistent wear, no low spots and high spots like extra wheels.

·
Registered
399 Posts
hey sofa the more wheel on the prox skid the worse the hyfax wear. what mr said about breaking them in to will help but running many different setups the more wheel the more wear. i onlgy run the two inside ones up frot nad the rear 4 any 1300 miles last season of 90% of the time low snow and still have half left with almost perfect consistent wear, no low spots and high spots like extra wheels.[/b]
well, this is what i have boy's. my iqr 660 is stretched to 144" with a 2" track and every third window is clipped. i do not have any bogey wheel's under my sled. i run ice scratcher's on my machine and the efficiency of them is awsome. i have a digital temp gauge on my sled and if i run down the trail without the scratcher's down, my hi-fax will start two heat and stick after about 3 mile's and my water temp will be at 150 degree's. when i drop the scratcher's, my temp drop's to about 109 degree's and the hi-fax never stick again. i understand that i have a longer track and taller lug, but the scratcher's work wonder's. ( just remember to lock them up before you back up or go off trail). hope this helps!!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
well, this is what i have boy's. my iqr 660 is stretched to 144" with a 2" track and every third window is clipped. i do not have any bogey wheel's under my sled. i run ice scratcher's on my machine and the efficiency of them is awsome. i have a digital temp gauge on my sled and if i run down the trail without the scratcher's down, my hi-fax will start two heat and stick after about 3 mile's and my water temp will be at 150 degree's. when i drop the scratcher's, my temp drop's to about 109 degree's and the hi-fax never stick again. i understand that i have a longer track and taller lug, but the scratcher's work wonder's. ( just remember to lock them up before you back up or go off trail). hope this helps!![/b]
i have pretty much the same thing (IQR 144" long track) and even with my 1.25 track on for flatland running it does the same thing. im installing a stat in mine cuz it will actually drop water temps down to the 95-105 range in loose snow. thats too cold in my opinion, but i prefer to run them down for the hyfax life savings and i dont want to stop every time the snow conditions change.
[attachment=412451:scratcher.jpg]

·
Registered
901 Posts
This brings this thread to "who has the best scratchers"? I thought I wanted some on the skis for maximum cooling but it sounds like the skid mounted ones work fine. Who's got what?
thanks

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just ordered a set of scratchers from The Billet Store dot com. They are $48 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 and have a great reputation on SnoWest.

My plan is to remove my front wheels on the outside of the skid (ala Timespentsearching) and use just the scratchers for cooling. I've got a new set of hyfax so we'll see how long they last.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sorry Rich,
I thought the windows were 2 open 1 closed. Do you use OEM hifax? I have been and dont notice the wear you are expeirencing and also run the Camoplast 1.750 "Back Country" track Let me know how you make out. Be cool, Rick

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry Rich,
I thought the windows were 2 open 1 closed. Do you use OEM hifax? I have been and dont notice the wear you are expeirencing and also run the Camoplast 1.750 "Back Country" track Let me know how you make out. Be cool, Rick[/b]
:thumbsup: Thanks for tryin' Rick. I don't know type of hyfax it was that I burned up because it came with the skid. I just got some OEM hyfax today so I'll let you know how it wears once I get enough snow to ride on. See ya'!

Rich

·
Registered
635 Posts
I can't get my scratchers to fit unless i remove the very front wheels and i want to keep them![/b]
This is not my sled (this pics came from this forum) but this is where I have mine. Again, I am running all the available wheels and so far, so good.

[attachment=413059:Ice_Scratchers1.jpg]

[attachment=413062:Ice_Scratchers3.jpg]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts