Hardcore Sledder banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you Michigan guys saw one of my lasts posts regarding the horrible trail conditions in Michigan and are wondering where the x-cess money from last years trail permits has gone, please keep reading!

Listen to this.

DNR to repay game, fish fund 2.4 million (Cover Page Michigan Outdoor News, Feb. 2003)

A federal audit of how the Michigan DNR spends hunting and fishing license money claims the DNR misspent $2.4 million. The department has accepted the results and will repay the money to the Game an Fish Fund.

Of the total payment, $1.9 million will be repaid to the Game and Fish Fund from the Snowmobile and ORV Fund. The remaining $556,000 will be paid to the Game and Fish Fund from General Funds.

Looks like the trails will not be getting groomed and no more money will be provided to the snowmobile clubs that operate the groomers :angry: .

NICE JOB DNR!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
not only that, buy the roller blade and bikers( how do not have to buy permitts!!! :angry: ) are taking over more and more of the trails!!! thats BS!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just seems as if snowmobilers in the state of Michigan are being treated like dirt! I know i've rode on a lot of it!

Local radio stations have "ski reports" that talk about the amount of snow on the slopes and how many runs are open. Wouldn't it be nice to have a "trail report?"

Local news stations only talk about snowmobiling when someone dies, etc.

We're getting a bad rap, causing politicians to put the boot in our rears even further.

I won't even get into the Green Peace organizations and such.

I think all us Firecat owners that ride in Michigan need to form a club. If we formed a club with say....20 Firecat owners, the MSA would take our views and opinions a little more seriously. We could also stir some things up over at the DNR.

Power is in the people, not the person.

All we would need is a club name, such as...???

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I agree. It is time to do something. Even to the effect of paying the groomers instead of alot of them being volunteers.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
This is all screwed up! I heard trail stickers will increase next year. Is this due to the DNR's budget problems?
We never know when or how much snow will fall around the midwest but the UP always has snow therefor many of us diehards will end up traveling to the UP if no snow other places. Is it time to start paying the groomers? (they are all volonteers from local clubs now) I've been to the UP twice this year and leave again this Friday. I can honestly say that the trails were not too bad consideering the amount of traffic. I have heard reports of trails going downhill lately. What's the answer?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I think that we should all email this person and state our case. As long as you are being politically correct it cannot hurt. If nothing else, I think that the DNR should be shelling out our money for paid groomers.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If they are repaying Fish and Game with our Snowmobile money, then I am going to tape my Hunting Licence on my Sled next year instead of buying a trail permit.

Kevin :angry: :angry: :angry:

·
Registered
244 Posts
well, if that is true then how come i did'nt even see a buck last deer season??. there should be so many fish they should be jumping in our boats!!!! and the birds are down also!!! the only thing there are more of is wolves and cougars!!!. :angry:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I Just Returned From The U.P. Today, One Week In The Central And Western Side, I Saw 2-Grommers
All Week :angry: :angry: :angry: And My Ass Is Sore............ :angry: :angry: :angry: I Spent 1200.00
In The U.P. Snowmobiling And I Didn't Find A Good Trail All Week.......... I Will Not Buy A Trail Permit Next Year
I Never Saw A "Groomed Trail" To Ride..............

Jeff

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Originally posted by Captainkev@Feb 12 2003, 09:34 AM
If they are repaying Fish and Game with our Snowmobile money, then I am going to tape my Hunting Licence on my Sled next year instead of buying a trail permit.  

Kevin :angry:  :angry:  :angry:
Better yet, we should just tape the Outdoor News article to the windshield.

Oh, as a side note I heard rumors that the DNR was ticketing people on Houghton Lake during Tip Up Town for not having a trail permit. Why should you buy a permit if you are not riding on groomed trails? Last time that I checked Houghton Lake was not groomed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Originally posted by green team7+Feb 12 2003, 10:41 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Captainkev
@Feb 12 2003, 09:34 AM

Kevin :angry:  :angry:  :angry:
Better yet, we should just tape the Outdoor News article to the windshield.

Oh, as a side note I heard rumors that the DNR was ticketing people on Houghton Lake during Tip Up Town for not having a trail permit. Why should you buy a permit if you are not riding on groomed trails? Last time that I checked Houghton Lake was not groomed.[/b]
from what i was told the only time that you don't need a trail permit is when your going to and from your ice fishing spot or on private property. every where else groomed or not you are suppose to have one. which sucks because 80% of my riding is off trail , if i did'nt have to get one i would'nt ride the trails at all!!! :huh:

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
i have road over 550 miles this winter.
and have not seen a groomer all winter. <_<
yep the mich trail permits are a big joke>
but the DNR is the only ones laughing :angry:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very good point! Every weekend there are hundreds of sleds running on Lk. St. Clair. The DNR is out in force writing tickets for people that do not having trail permits! Is the lake considered trail???

I sure as hell wouldn't think so.

I like the idea of taping my hunting license on my snowmobile. They mispent the money, the feds were wondering where it was, they looked for it, couldn't find it and said...we'll repay it! It came from us!

As far as emailing the head person at the DNR, I say we should all go for it.

Things to know...

DNR stated... The costs for trail permits was increased from 10 to 20 bucks to fund more groomers, fix damaged bridges and help mark the trails better. It is estimated the price will be around $40 in the next few years.

You know damn well it will go up! They saw how much they made from the $10 increase without lifting a finger.

Seriously, I'm starting to hate riding here. Why pay for a "trail permit" when you are constantly on the roads.
Think how much it hurts the sleds as far as wear and tear goes!

I will be covering my trail permit on the lake, hoping I get stopped! I also hope I get a ticket so I can fight it, win and set a precedence. Anyone get a ticket lately on the lake, you should fight it. "TRAIL PERMIT" not Lake Permit!

Another note, insurance companies will cover your sled on the trail, but the lake???

We are all sheep in a big game until we start kicking our hoofs!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
O.K, here's what I got from the head of the DNR!!

Dear Mr. Hellebuyck,
Thank you providing me with your concerns about the necessary
reimbursement of funds for snowmobile enforcement which were identified
in a federal audit of our game and fish protection fund. The
reimbursement was required because conservation officers coded the Game
and Fish fund inaccurately for time they spent in snowmobile
enforcement. The transfer corrected the mistake that took place in 1996
and 1997 by returning to the Game and Fish fund monies that legally
should have been charged to the snowmobile fund. We have explained this
to the Michigan Snowmobile Association and to the Legislature. The
Legislature made the transfer to rectify the audit finding.

Hmmmm!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yea, raise the trail permits, then buy more groomers and pay to get the job done. I don't think ANYBODY would have a problem paying more for a permit if we got what we paid for.

Trails are no different this year than any. Rumors that the groomers will not run on SAT in Grayling because of crazy drivers. Screw the crazy drivers and keep grooming.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.