Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Came close once The groomer took up the whole trail and was grooming in the bush in the middle of the afternoon. Came around a corner and that headed downhill. Had I had the flipper to the bar- It could have been ugly. l Our club does the majority of the grooming at night so that the danger of coming around a corner and meeting the blade of a BR 180 face first is minimized. I have heard of fatalities. Our groomer operators have had a couple of close calls, but grooming at night and early morning has kept out groomers out of trouble.-- With sleds that is.....

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've never hit one but I saw a guy come as close as you can without hitting one, lets call him very lucky. I think the groomer driver would have just driven right over him and kept on going and I would have watched.

What was happening is the guy wanted to race me(overtook me on a straight and gave me "the look") and we were coming up to a sharp 90 deg right after a long straight run. I was on the inside which means I was in control of the situation. He was hell bent on beating me through the corner so I drove him in deep and of course he was going too fast to make the turn on the inside line. He drifted wide coming out and missed that groomer by inches at about 40mph. I still don't think he learned his lesson and he's damn lucky there were no trees to hit on the outside of the trail when he went around the groomer. I just hit my brakes and stayed on the inside line where I belonged and motored away, a good 10-15 ft from the groomer.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Originally posted by Jim Morabito@Sep 29 2005, 07:53 PM
Just wondering if anybody has hit the groomer or know of a buddy that did?
If so, what happened?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=900135
[/quote]
As the vp of the Pittsburg Ridge Runners I have heard from several of our sixteen groomer drivers of close calls and several "light taps" to blades :augen41: It is amazing to me that people assume there is never anybody grooming out there when "they" are riding! Even though we all know that grooming is more efficient at night and scheduling is done at night that groomers may be met anytime of day, because of breakdowns, drivers being sick, any number of reasons. A fatality in 2001 in New Hampshire is still being dragged through the courts and is having a real impact in how people think about insuring clubs and drivers. :flush:
Please don't give our drivers (anywhere) any more nightmares than they have already. Remember also that drivers are likely to raise there blade before an impact to save themsleves from having an unwanted guest in the cab with them. This is to prevent an out of control rider from ridng up the snowbank he is pushing, right into the drivers lap. :dunno: :banghead:
Give them all a break, there is no need of driving too close to the edge of "control".

HUG A GROOMER DRIVER! :div20:

pathfinder58

·
Registered
249 Posts
Had a real close call one midday afternoon. A brisk pace leading through the twisty woods. Crest a hill /corner to the right so I was easy on the flipper and at the ready to hug (not necessarily stop) on my side of the trail. Now going down a steep incline with loose snow, (Now if your a sledder you know how well a snowmobile at speed slows down going down a steep hill on loose snow). I'm presented with two groomer operators :augen41: with shovels giving a little extra effort right in my path and only yards away. At The the bottom of the hill 20 ft behind parked the groomer between trees wich lined the trail. Older gentlemen can really move sometimes :Wow1: .

Somehow managed to finesse(finesse sounds graceful, NOT!) it into some soft stuff on the edge of the trail and stop without incident.

Buddy following me took cue of break light and erratic motions and didn't plow us.
Groomers weren't pleased.
I was very pleased, because there was a moment I thought I was going to give him a ride straight to his groomer,without the option of sacrificing myself to the woods.
I thank our groomers, most of wich are volenteers.I also appreciate the work of others that spend long lonley nights at a slow slow speed.
The last thing I want to do is run you over.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Seen one snowmobile totalled on the side of the trail. I think it broke down it was a cat (f7 03) right at the end of the season up in jackman. Groomer must have not been able to make it around it so it pushed it off the trailer probably running over it alittle. Definitly was in rough shape. I have seen tons as my uncle in ohio and cousin in canada send me tons of photos yearly about half of them are totaled sleds about 5 a year I get are of sleds that have had some contact with a groomer.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
where is sxrlar when you need him?!?!

He hit a groomer with his sxr a few years back

·
Super Advanced Lummox
17,767 Posts
Met a groomer at a crest of a hill

I pulled to the side halfway up the bank actually and stopped

Then notice the groomer operator was looking at his drag and not ahead :augen41:

The Groomer was a Massey Ferguson Tractor conversion

:augen41: the back of the track clipped my ski and windshield and bent my bars

The groomer jumped out and said he was sorry

He said he was watching his drag for a split 2nd and then noticed me behind him afterwards

I checked for damage on my sled

scuff on the windshield,thank god for flex skis,and a my bars were slighty bent

I told him I was ok :div20:

3miles down the trail my trailing arm broke in 2 :banghead: ,I guess when the ski bent back the trailing arm bent also,but I had not notice :doh:

It was between 2-4pm in the afternoon,

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
My friends hit one, he hit the accual groom tho, it totaled his sled, the only thing that was good was well idk every thing was destroid so bad.

I almost hit one, It was on a sharp ice corner, It was at night i was leading and i came up to the corner looked through the trees before it because iknew it was icy and could be dangerous, i didnt see anything, so i went for it but i hammered on it hard doin a little bit more than i should have been and there was a groomer right there missed it by maybe an inch right down the whole length of the thing. You never would imagine looking in a dirrection that the groomer was an not seeing that huge thing, and all those lights, it was deffinitly wierd i dont know how i missed it :dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
Let me start off by saying how much I appreciate the huge effort clubs / volunteers and their groomer operators put out on all our behalfs.
I hope one day that it might become law where grooming would only be done after dark and preferabley after a certain time at night. The fact that a groomer takes up the entire width of the trail (or all but), moves fairly slow or can be stopped pretty much anywhere (over a steep hill or blind corner) is what makes it so dangerous to a sledder, combine that with daylight where warning lights are pretty much useless and you've got a recipe for disaster. There should also be a minimum requirement for warning lights, some set ups just don't give sledders enough of a warning. Yes even for those riding at safe speed levels.
I realize no one wants to be out in a groomer during the wee hours but it's best for safety (by a huge margin) not to mention helps the trail to set up properly.
My thoughts are based on my family being involved with the local club for more years than I can count and my father being a groomer operator for most of em.

:div20: Safe sledding to us all :div20:

Rick

·
Registered
485 Posts
Contact the White Thunder Riders of Hurley WI. They have had several groomer sled accidents. Some you wont believe!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Sometimes grooming during the day can't be avoided. Like was mentioned above, groomers break, drivers get sick and other things. A groomer breaks down in the middle of the night. How are they suppose to fix it if they can't drive it during the day? A driver gets sick and the trails wasn't groomed. Then you hear these trails suck they must not ever groom. We all are guilty of maybe hitting the throttle a little to much while going around curves, hills and other blindspots. But instead we should be slowing down some if we are unsure of the surroundings. Accidents happen and sometimes it's unavoidable but sometimes it can be avoided. I really like the one about I was racing my buddy and he was looking back at me giving me the look. What would of happened if there would of be another sled coming. As for the lights on some groomers I agree sometimes they do need more. But than again it doesn't matter how many lights they have if your driving faster than the conditions at that time. Bottom line slow down and save a life as it might be yours

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Originally posted by Jim Morabito@Sep 29 2005, 07:53 PM
Just wondering if anybody has hit the groomer or know of a buddy that did?
If so, what happened?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=900135
[/quote]
ya know i dont remember

1 - 20 of 36 Posts