Hardcore Sledder banner

Ever had this happen?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  zbar 
#1 ·
While riding up in the UP ('02 ZR800 EFI CC) this past weekend I stopped after going through some mud and water crossings (little) and the rear suspension was in low rider form. I could pick it up but it would not stay up on it own. There was no evidence of oil blown anywhere or anything else I could see worng. The sled would go up and down w/ little or no force. The trails where real smooth so I continued to ride just taking it easy. The next stop the sled was back a normal ride height w/ just the little bit of sag that is normal. Is it possible the o-ring reseated? Or something like that? I can't imagine something would have froze up. I am real puzzled by this. The sled has 700 miles and none of the shocks have been rebuilt. Thoughts? Thanks, Dave

#3 ·
Speaking of rebuilding shocks, what's the low-down on a how-to? I've rebuilt lots of high end air shocks and coil/oil/air off of both high end mountain bikes and motorcycles but have never touched a gas (other than air) charged unit.

I know the main rebuild items are typically one main seal and a mess of o-rings. Are there good docs out there for rebuilding, say, Fox shox (which I have on my ZR)?

Thanks,

-Couch

#5 ·
I've read of this problem alot here. And it happened to my ZL600 SS. After a hard ride, I blew past a trail intersection, and had to swing the back around. The suspension just wanted to lay down. I continued on, and the ride did'nt seem all that different from earlier. Later, when I was putting it on the truck, it was back to normal. People told me that the shock had faded out due to the hard use, and that when it cooled, it went back to normal. :mellow:

#6 ·
Our ZR 440 and 500 always seem to do this yet they still act normal...its very weird. I was concerned about this at first but it would do it even after having the shox rebuilt so I figure its just normal

#7 ·
I experienced that behavior early this season after a rebuild. I took the sled back and they "fixed" it. Yesterday I went through a bunch of stutter bumps fast and then stopped at an intersection and noticed the problem was back. The rear end is running super low and if you lift the tail and then set it down, the rear end just drops right back down.

I don't get it. Shouldn't the rear torsion springs be firm enough to hold the rear end up even if the rear/rear skid shock was gone?

-Couch

#8 ·
this always happens to me. if the sled is on an incline, and the sled is facing up it, the rear suspension sags (you lift it up,it goes back down). when you turn the sled to face down hill, then the suspension is "normal". so i wonder if when its facing up a hill, does a lot of the weight settle on the rear suspension?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.