Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to get off Evans Notch now that the Gilead trail is shut down? I am looking to do a loop fron Evergreen Valley through the notch and around Bethel.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
You can still ride the loop trail it's just a bit boondockish[/b]
Eric....you've been down there? How bad is it? When things get cold again I'm gonna go check it out and see what the deal is. Right now Evans Notch is basically a dead end. What the hell is going on up there? :wall:

·
Premium Member
5,950 Posts
Eric....you've been down there? How bad is it? When things get cold again I'm gonna go check it out and see what the deal is. Right now Evans Notch is basically a dead end. What the hell is going on up there? :wall:[/b]
You can still ride the trail on the north side of the river to get to Bethel. South side which goes right behind my house you can't make it all the way through to Bethel because there is a bridge missing here in West Bethel.

·
Registered
141 Posts
So do I need to register in NH to ride Evans Notch? I'd be heading there from the Freyburg side, is there a place to park a trailer near there? Also I hiked Evans during the winter one year and remember seeing dog sleds heading up, is that something you need to look out for?

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
So do I need to register in NH to ride Evans Notch? I'd be heading there from the Freyburg side, is there a place to park a trailer near there? Also I hiked Evans during the winter one year and remember seeing dog sleds heading up, is that something you need to look out for?[/b]
Unless you have to be in Fryeburg there's got to be better places to ride than here....trust me. If you stay in the fields you'll be OK but ITS 80 is what gets you up to Evans Notch from the Maine side and it hasn't been groomed all season. Things are not too good around here, closed trails, no grooming, you name it. You can go up Cor. 19 in NH but you'll need the NH registration. Unless you know your way around here you'll struggle to get around ITS 80 b/c Kezar Lake is not good to go.

There are dog sledders up there at times, just be ready for anything. If you're gonna go you can park at Pete's garage in N. Fryeburg.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Unless you have to be in Fryeburg there's got to be better places to ride than here....trust me. If you stay in the fields you'll be OK but ITS 80 is what gets you up to Evans Notch from the Maine side and it hasn't been groomed all season. Things are not too good around here, closed trails, no grooming, you name it. You can go up Cor. 19 in NH but you'll need the NH registration. Unless you know your way around here you'll struggle to get around ITS 80 b/c Kezar Lake is not good to go.

There are dog sledders up there at times, just be ready for anything. If you're gonna go you can park at Pete's garage in N. Fryeburg.[/b]
Thanks man... looks like I'll stick to Jackman then. I'm just trying to find some day trips from Portland, but with the snow conditions right now, that may not be an option.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Where is the trail from Evan's Notch dead ending now. Does it stop before you get down to that suspension bridge or on the other side of it? We rode that stretch all last season but haven't this season as of yet. We were thinking about heading over there if we get more snow to ride up to Gorham and Errol. The guys I ride with look forward to boondocking but are you still able to get through to the bridge and beyond? Has anyone ridden that stretch past the bridge? That was unreal everytime we rode it last year all the way up to center Gorham. Flat as glass.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Where is the trail from Evan's Notch dead ending now. Does it stop before you get down to that suspension bridge or on the other side of it? We rode that stretch all last season but haven't this season as of yet. We were thinking about heading over there if we get more snow to ride up to Gorham and Errol. The guys I ride with look forward to boondocking but are you still able to get through to the bridge and beyond? Has anyone ridden that stretch past the bridge? That was unreal everytime we rode it last year all the way up to center Gorham. Flat as glass.[/b]

You can get all the way to Gorham right now if you want. You should read the threads where guys already rode the trail from the swinging bridge to Gorham and barely made it or didn't make it at all. This trail hasn't been groomed yet this season b/c the Gorham club is down a groomer. Huge water bars, etc. just plain tough going. I'm sure now it's got to be hell up there. Up to the swinging bridge you're fine. I'll bet it will be fine on the closed road portion even tomorrow.

I've been on that trail when I was the first sled down the trail after the groomer and I've also been the first guy down that trail for the season and it is not a fun experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts