Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Pro-S 850 137" 2016 SB 800 Pro-S 136"
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if there is a downloadable trail map for the U.P. of Michigan area. Then, decent directions on how the heck to use this device to my advantage. I'm new to using this thing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
RWS has an overlay of trails (no link handy, sorry) Free.
GPSSledMaps.com has 'em (free).
VVMapping offers them as well (me, not free).

See other threads in this forum for some basic reviews.

As for using them... The very basic thing to do, once you load the maps to the GPS, is to change to the Map screen (page button on upper right side of GPS), zoom in/out and leave it alone. The map will move under you as you move.
Loading the maps to the GPS is not terribly difficult, but will depend on which maps you end up with and what you have available as far as computers/software.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'm not affiliated, related or really know 2TrakR (other than getting his software), but if you haven't bought any other software for your Garmin and want to get snowmobile trails with a decent background map, buy the $45 software at vvmapping.com. (2TrakR's website)

I wish that his software was out before I layed down $80 for US topo. The vvmapping software also includes a green shaded background to let you know your on public land.

If you already have good mapping software for your garmin, you can download free UP snowmobile trails at gpssledmaps.com, but they won't have the green shaded background in all areas to show public land.

my .02

Tony

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Wondering if there is a downloadable trail map for the U.P. of Michigan area. Then, decent directions on how the heck to use this device to my advantage. I'm new to using this thing.[/b]
I offer a free MI trail map for Garmin GPS units...covers the whole state.

The map installs into Mapsource where you can select it for upload to your Garmin GPSr. The map has a transparent background so your basemap or any detailed maps (Topo, City Navigator etc) you upload along with the trail map will show through. The trail map can be toggled on/off in your GPSr just like any other Garmin map. The trails will appear as a white line with red border and have floating trail number boxes...see attached picture. The map was created from the most current ESRI shapefile data available from the MI DNR.

download zip file here...read the enclosed READ_ME_FIRST.txt file for installation/use instructions

Michigan Snowmobile Trail Map

Screenshot from a Garmin 276c showing how the trails and floating trail numbers will appear.
Topo US 2008 is also loaded for detailed background.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will it show the Twin Lakes area and around it?

I offer a free MI trail map for Garmin GPS units...covers the whole state.

The map installs into Mapsource where you can select it for upload to your Garmin GPSr. The map has a transparent background so your basemap or any detailed maps (Topo, City Navigator etc) you upload along with the trail map will show through. The trail map can be toggled on/off in your GPSr just like any other Garmin map. The trails will appear as a white line with red border and have floating trail number boxes...see attached picture. The map was created from the most current ESRI shapefile data available from the MI DNR.

download zip file here...read the enclosed READ_ME_FIRST.txt file for installation/use instructions

Michigan Snowmobile Trail Map

Screenshot from a Garmin 276c showing how the trails and floating trail numbers will appear.
Topo US 2008 is also loaded for detailed background.
[/b]

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Will it show the Twin Lakes area and around it?[/b]
It has the trails in the Twin Lakes area. Note that the screenshots from my GPS have Topo US 2008 uploaded along with the trail map for greater map detail. I would recommend buying Garmin's Topo US 2008 which can be found for around $80 from online vendors. You will then have detailed maps for all the US to upload to your GPS unit as the basemap that comes pre-installed on Garmin GPS's are pretty sparce.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can the Topo US 2008 be downloaded to the GPS at any time - or does it need to be done before uploading the trail maps?

I have everything downloaded to my computer, but I don't have Mapsource - how/where can I download that or is that some separate software I also need to purchase?

It has the trails in the Twin Lakes area. Note that the screenshots from my GPS have Topo US 2008 uploaded along with the trail map for greater map detail. I would recommend buying Garmin's Topo US 2008 which can be found for around $80 from online vendors. You will then have detailed maps for all the US to upload to your GPS unit as the basemap that comes pre-installed on Garmin GPS's are pretty sparce.

[/b]

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Can the Topo US 2008 be downloaded to the GPS at any time - or does it need to be done before uploading the trail maps?

I have everything downloaded to my computer, but I don't have Mapsource - how/where can I download that or is that some separate software I also need to purchase?[/b]
Do you have Topo US 2008 (or any other Garmin detailed maps such as City Navigator etc)? If so you have Mapsource. Topo maps and trail map must be uploaded together in one shot if you want to view the trails overlaid on Topo.

If you don't have Mapsource (Topo 2008, City Navigator etc) you can get a copy of Mapsource installed on your computer by doing the following.

First install the Training Center for Windows software.
Training Center

Then install the Mapsource update.
Mapsource Update

You only get a basic basemap, but all other features of Mapsource
work...including managing of your tracks, waypoints, routes and upload of your custom maps to your GPS.

Note: no need to run Training Center...just install it and then install the Mapsource update...then run Mapsource.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have Topo US 2008 (or any other Garmin detailed maps such as City Navigator etc), just what was on the GPS when purchased. Is it highly recommended I get the Topo US 2008?

Do you have Topo US 2008 (or any other Garmin detailed maps such as City Navigator etc)? If so you have Mapsource. Topo maps and trail map must be uploaded together in one shot if you want to view the trails overlaid on Topo.

If you don't have Mapsource (Topo 2008, City Navigator etc) you can get a copy of Mapsource installed on your computer by doing the following.

First install the Training Center for Windows software.
Training Center

Then install the Mapsource update.
Mapsource Update

You only get a basic basemap, but all other features of Mapsource
work...including managing of your tracks, waypoints, routes and upload of your custom maps to your GPS.

Note: no need to run Training Center...just install it and then install the Mapsource update...then run Mapsource.[/b]

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I don't have Topo US 2008 (or any other Garmin detailed maps such as City Navigator etc), just what was on the GPS when purchased. Is it highly recommended I get the Topo US 2008?[/b]
I'd get Topo US 2008 if you want detailed maps for sledding and/or City Navigator for use in your car...you've seem what comes installed on the GPS....pretty sparce.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On Tiger GPS what is the difference of Item #: 010-C0903-00 & 010-11001-00. Not sure what the SD card is??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts