Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a eTrex Legend for xmas. Need some suggestion on trick and tips on use. Was able to log in Wavpoint and map my trip. Is there any trail maps to download or great suggestions on use on snowmobile. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

·
Registered
502 Posts
[attachment=415606:blckfly_22807_003.jpg]

You will have to buy the maps disk from TopoMaps. Cost about $100 at LL Beans (good price). You will love what the program will do for you. I mounted my Garmin on a Ram Mount and hard wired a jack into the sled. That keeps the backlight on and the display screen warm while riding. If you don't hardwire it, it will eat up batteries when it's cold. Make sure you put a fuse in the wire to avoid a power surge.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I 2nd that about getting the Topo mapsource if you already dont have it. It alows you to connect tracks from seperate days or trips which is a must. In a couple yrs you will have a Map on your cumputer of your riding area. You can name and number each trail, then load them back up to your gps for your next ride.

I have yet to mount my gps on my machine. Luckly my jacket has a small pocket on my left arm and my legend fits right in there perfect. If you try and use one of the regular pockets i have found that you loose sat reception a lot. I also put in one hand warmer that keeps my legend warm enough so the cold wont eat my batterries. I use Energizer 2200 mah rechargables and have never had my batteries die on me. However i do think the best thing to do is mount the GPS on the machine and hardwire it.

good luck

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
We got some Sony Cycle Energy Rechargeable AA's that are Ni-MH and they last plenty, I know Li-On is tipically the way to go with battery life in cold weather but these work fine.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You cant beat those Energizer Lithium's (blue and silver pkg) that they sell everywhere now. Saw them by the register at Lowes and Home Depot. 10.00 for a four pack but they last twice as long as any other battery, are not affected by cold weather and weigh half what normal ones weigh.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[attachment=415606:blckfly_22807_003.jpg]

You will have to buy the maps disk from TopoMaps. Cost about $100 at LL Beans (good price). You will love what the program will do for you. I mounted my Garmin on a Ram Mount and hard wired a jack into the sled. That keeps the backlight on and the display screen warm while riding. If you don't hardwire it, it will eat up batteries when it's cold. Make sure you put a fuse in the wire to avoid a power surge.[/b]
Thanx I'll do that, Think I can buy mounting hardware at LL Bean?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Got my Ram Mount at www.expressmounts.com It really is the way to go. I now have base mounts in my boat and my Jeep. Extra base mounts are cheap. The ball mount connector and gps holder are great. Don't even try any suction cup stuff, there is way to much bumping on a sled. Just drill the four little holes in your cowling and bolt the mount on. Mine stays put on the most radical rides.

·
Registered
987 Posts
You cant beat those Energizer Lithium's (blue and silver pkg) that they sell everywhere now. Saw them by the register at Lowes and Home Depot. 10.00 for a four pack but they last twice as long as any other battery, are not affected by cold weather and weigh half what normal ones weigh.[/b]
^x2 them batt. last longer under harsher conditions then any batt I've ever seen.Well worth the money when you do the math vs other batt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts