Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few years now I have been running Ethanol Shield in pretty much every thing except my daily drivers. I am not going to brag on how good it is but after you watch this video you may be buying it as well. IMO its a must for all PowerSport 2 & 4 strokes!!! And no I am not involved with any of this. I have also have had Zero issues with Ethanol sense I started using Ethanol Shield. It just plain works.

Watch Videos Online | Ethanol and Other Fuel Problems ELIMINATED | Veoh.com

Products | B3C Fuel Solutions

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors...vZbxaqZ1z0uoqm

I called the factory and asked what the difference was between the mechanic in a bottle VS ethanol shield. They told me both will bond to Water, Ethanol, Gas, & Oil. The major difference is Mechanic in a bottle is designed to clean your carbs & injectors, Soften harden O-rings and get a rough engine running good again from the effect of Ethanol. They said after its running good to use Ethanol shield.

I buy it locally at Home Depot in the gallon size.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I switched from seafoam to Ethanol Shield a couple years ago after seeing this video. I keep around 65 gallons of gas on hand year round for our emergency generator and I can definitely see a difference between the two products. I used to change up the gas every 6 months and run the old stuff through the truck. Now I change it out once a year and it still smells like good gas. Plus overall it is cheaper than seafoam. I also have a large container of Mechanic in a Bottle which I run through the lawn mower, trimmers etc in the spring and snowblower in the fall.

Only downside is it is very hard to find where I live. Cabelas used to carry it in the fall but it appears they no longer do. It does look like I can order the larger ones through Home Depot but they only carry the small ones in store here.

·
Premium Member
33,223 Posts
we switched to their products a few years ago. we had previously used startron, which is still my second choice, but after using MIB a few times, i was sold.
we keep it here in the shop to use and sell and dont use anything else.

·
Registered
40,261 Posts
I switched from seafoam to Ethanol Shield a couple years ago after seeing this video. I keep around 65 gallons of gas on hand year round for our emergency generator and I can definitely see a difference between the two products. I used to change up the gas every 6 months and run the old stuff through the truck. Now I change it out once a year and it still smells like good gas. Plus overall it is cheaper than seafoam. I also have a large container of Mechanic in a Bottle which I run through the lawn mower, trimmers etc in the spring and snowblower in the fall.

Only downside is it is very hard to find where I live. Cabelas used to carry it in the fall but it appears they no longer do. It does look like I can order the larger ones through Home Depot but they only carry the small ones in store here.
MIB works great for engines that haven't been run in years. Used it in post hole diggers to chainsaws and even 4 stroke small engines. Made those engines that wouldn't run/idle to work good as new.

·
Administrator
2030 Arctic Cat 2500 - - 19-20 mileage-100,000
23,854 Posts
I'd be curious to see what happens to the samples in the video after sitting for a few months or even a year with out being shaken up again????

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
I'd be curious to see what happens to the samples in the video after sitting for a few months or even a year with out being shaken up again????
Yeah,I have clear bottles of fuel in my shop to show people.Ive tried dumping numerous products in bottles of phase separated fuel and none of them have "fixed" the fuel.....it still separates after just an hour or so_Once it separates ,its done.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
For a few years now I have been running Ethanol Shield in pretty much every thing except my daily drivers. I am not going to brag on how good it is but after you watch this video you may be buying it as well. IMO its a must for all PowerSport 2 & 4 strokes!!! And no I am not involved with any of this. I have also have had Zero issues with Ethanol sense I started using Ethanol Shield. It just plain works.

I called the factory and asked what the difference was between the mechanic in a bottle VS ethanol shield. They told me both will bond to Water, Ethanol, Gas, & Oil. The major difference is Mechanic in a bottle is designed to clean your carbs & injectors, Soften harden O-rings and get a rough engine running good again from the effect of Ethanol. They said after its running good to use Ethanol shield.

That is a great video and well worth the 19 mins. Iam courious what the third product was that he was using? Also would the gas clear up if the ethanol shield was added 1st instead of using MIB?

·
Administrator
2030 Arctic Cat 2500 - - 19-20 mileage-100,000
23,854 Posts
That is a great video and well worth the 19 mins. Iam courious what the third product was that he was using? Also would the gas clear up if the ethanol shield was added 1st instead of using MIB?
From the 1st post

"I called the factory and asked what the difference was between the mechanic in a bottle VS ethanol shield. They told me both will bond to Water, Ethanol, Gas, & Oil. The major difference is Mechanic in a bottle is designed to clean your carbs & injectors, Soften harden O-rings and get a rough engine running good again from the effect of Ethanol. They said after its running good to use Ethanol shield.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
From the 1st post

"I called the factory and asked what the difference was between the mechanic in a bottle VS ethanol shield. They told me both will bond to Water, Ethanol, Gas, & Oil. The major difference is Mechanic in a bottle is designed to clean your carbs & injectors, Soften harden O-rings and get a rough engine running good again from the effect of Ethanol. They said after its running good to use Ethanol shield.
Thanks Jerry. I did not pick up on that.

·
Administrator
24,783 Posts
Yeah,I have clear bottles of fuel in my shop to show people.Ive tried dumping numerous products in bottles of phase separated fuel and none of them have "fixed" the fuel.....it still separates after just an hour or so_Once it separates ,its done.
Hence the reason that ethanol blended fuel is still just ethanol blended fuel and there is no real permanent way to fix phase separation, period. Also, there is no fix for the damage that ethanol does to fuel system components that are not made to work with it, which is still MOST of all things with a small engine in it.

So I will continue to "waste my money", run ethanol free fuel in all my small engine stuff and spend my free time doing other things rather than rebuilding the fuel systems in them.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hence the reason that ethanol blended fuel is still just ethanol blended fuel and there is no real permanent way to fix phase separation, period. Also, there is no fix for the damage that ethanol does to fuel system components that are not made to work with it, which is still MOST of all things with a small engine in it.

So I will continue to "waste my money", run ethanol free fuel in all my small engine stuff and spend my free time doing other things rather than rebuilding the fuel systems in them.
I run E-free where & when I can but I have some engines that spark knocks with the lower octane and need the 93 octane with the ethanol and have rode to places with out Rec 90. Which is now Rec 89 octane thanks to the Government who reduced the octane number by 1 point.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Startron and sea foam were the two that were covered.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I ran startron in my boats and sleds for a couple of years, til I tested it (the bottle trick) it is total JUNK. I wish I had the money I spent on it, buying quarts of it for 200 gal tanks. But than again does it say anywhere on the bottle that it removes water??. NO

After seeing A few higher end shops pushing K100 I picked up a quart and took it home and tested it. It gives you the same end result as in the video posted in this post. Water go's into mix and burns. It mixes water so fine that it will go thru 2 water/fuel inline filters and burn.

I burn rec gas or pem 93 non-eth octane in my boat and in my sleds expect when refueling the sleds on trips. So I don't know how K100 does with phase.

I did notice that with K100 testing in the garage that it takes the same amount of K100 to remove the same amount of water. But then we carry a quart of it in the trailer so if you have a quart of water in your sled tank its time to go home anyway....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts