Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Rigid1 , me having lived out in your area for a couple of years (Phoenix N.Y.) I feel with the deep cold you would have a major ethanol separation issue there. I will check out the site to see if I can buy it local. Wondering if I can even buy ethanol free fuel here in N.H. I remember when I moved to CNY my truck ran like crap! N.Y. already have ethanol then 03'.

·
Registered
203 Posts
just had 2 sleds burn down in1 day 40 miles apart everyone is telling me its got to be gas . My wifes sled 07 IQLX 600 4300 miles 2010 rush 3300 miles melted pistons enough to cause crank prob

·
HCS Lifetime Premium
3,886 Posts
B3C has modified its ethanol shield product with a new additive called CCT (cylinder cooling technology) non-ethanol fuel in an engine is burning at 409deg, ethanol fuel is burning at 458deg because of the alcohol content, by adding ethanol shield with CCT they got it back down to 409deg.. good for all you 2stroke guys that are melting your engines..

·
HCS Lifetime Premium
3,886 Posts
good link!!!, do you know why ethanol fuel burn hotter??? is it the power of the explosion with the added ethanol???

·
Super Moderator
36,442 Posts
I don't believe it burns hotter, it's why fuel mileage suffers with Ethanol mixed fuels, you need to burn more of it to go the same distance, it purduces less energy per gallon. I used to run alcohol carbs many years ago, the jets were much larger than carbs set up for straight gasoline.

·
HCS Lifetime Premium
3,886 Posts
well i talked to my buddy that is a bit more knowledgeable on this topic.. and it looks like we are both right in a way.. the increased temp in a 2stroke cylinder is due to the ethanol in the fuel, but not because of the temp it burn at (you are 100% correct) but the fact that it does not allow good lubrication of the cylinder creating more friction,..we all know by rubbing our hands together that friction creates heat. just below a guy has some pics of his piston.. the center doesnt look to bad but the sides.. burned bad.. thanks for your help xcr!!!

im on my 3rd season of using the B3C products and have really found them to work as they claimed and am completely satisfied..

·
Mr. Part Time-On Line
35,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I don't believe it burns hotter, it's why fuel mileage suffers with Ethanol mixed fuels, you need to burn more of it to go the same distance, it purduces less energy per gallon. I used to run alcohol carbs many years ago, the jets were much larger than carbs set up for straight gasoline.

Correct. Ethanol is something like 78,000 BTU/Gal, where gasoline is almost 130,000 BTU/Gal....... Diesel fuel is over 140,000 BTU/Gal....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I just did some research on this topic and Rec 90 fuel. Rec 90 is a 90 octane E free fuel. The marina's started to carry it because of all the problems that the older carb engines are having with the ethanol eating the rubber in the needle/seat's. It also dissolves the fuel lines. You can go to a auto parts store and get a Multi Fuel high pressure rubber fuel line for $5. a foot which is what I just bought from Orileys auto parts for both my 03 F7 and my 80hp mercury outboard as I am having problems with the gas line ending up in the float bowls because of the ethanol is eating the line. I also have replaced my rubber fuel pump twice in that engine as the ethanol eats the rubber diaphragm fuel pump. Now I talked with the owner of our local Marathon gas station about ethonal and he told me that all fuel made sense 2010 has ethanol in it unless it is a off road fuel. I then told him about Rec 90 fuel as I am starting to see this where we ride our sleds and asked him if he would get it for our Snowmobiles, Quads, Dirt bikes, Outboards, chainsaw's, lawnmower, etc, etc, etc. Well 2 weeks later he also see's a need for this fuel so he is going to carry it from now on starting this spring!! I would recommend that every one ask there local fuel station owner to start carrying Rec 90 for all of our off road engines. Hopefully this will catch on and in a year or two we can ride our sled's with E free fuel!! Oh by the way. From pricing it up north it is the same price or less than 87 octane!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
ethanol makes a huge negative affect on my sleds performance, would be nice to know what fuel stations prem. fuel contanians ethanol, and which ones don't, so far I only know of one fuel company in canada that has ethanol free fuel, which is Esso V-power fuel, but once I get this device, I'll be making a stop at all the others to test their fuel.
Indianapolis, where I live is in an EPA non-compliance zone for HC emissions.
All gasoline sold here is at least 10% ethanol. One county away from here I can buy non ethanol gas.
And of course AV gas and racing gas don't have alcohol which is available locally.
I'm getting the B&S tester for sure.
My Thundercat has bored carbs and cut heads and won't tolerate alcohol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
An old thread but I will bring it back. Quite a few years ago, we had a generator at a remote cabin that needed priming before we could start it. A priming bulb in the gas line wouldn't doo the trick. I thought about a "turkey baster". Suck out the gas in a tank and put the nozzle into the spark plug hole and easy-peasy.

I have carried that silly thing for years in my back pack with endless uses. It would be an easy way to fill the test tube for the ethanol testing. Just throwing it out there......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can see some uses with this device. Although most times i'm stuck with whatever gas there is because it's ALL there is. If you were to start checking each station, it's possible to find whose gas is consistently off so it can be avoided in the future. Driving a 4-stroke makes this less of a problem, but the problem still exists...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
There is a well known performance business in this sport that, after seeing a sizable increase in engine failure on performance sleds, started to test fuel that was advertised as being 90 or more Eth free gas. Also Checked octane at regular pumps.
Not sure if its station owner, truck drivers, or suppliers but it seems maybe we really shouldn't trust anything printed on the pump anymore

·
Registered
374 Posts
here is what it does for water
Correct. It does nothing for water, or does it stay it does on the bottle. Startron is a cleaner that helps with phase separation that's it. So if you have some phase separation going on before or during using it, you have water and it doesn't do it. If you were to put startron in the bottle in the pic and shake it, the water would stay separated and turn into a white shurry in the bottom of the jar. I have sent hunderds on this startron shit, having sleds, power euip. and boats with 200+ fuel tanks. In til I tested it in a clear jar did I see it does nothing for water. Guess I should have read the label!.. Ethanol absorb's water twice as fast as gas, so whats startron going to do?. Nothing. It doesn't make the water burn. Theres only a couple of products that do both and one has my vote and I have tested it myself, K100. Keeps gas fresh, keeps it from going into phase and suspends water and makes it burn. No I don't sell K100, it just makes me mad I sent so much money on something that does't do anything and people are eating it up, even the marinas I go to and they sell rec gas.. what the hell!.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=476232&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1296647046

21 - 40 of 45 Posts