Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Mr. Part Time-On Line
35,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading something about a ethanol testing device over on dootalk, I had my local Briggs&Stratton dealer order me a couple. Its a small glass test tube with a screw on cap, about 2oz in size. It has lines and specific measurements on the side. You fill the tube to the water line, then fill the rest of the way to the neck with gasoline. Shake and wait 5 minutes, the separation is clearly visible and the markings on the side of the tube indicate what % of ethanol is in the gas.

Briggs & Stratton part # 795161.

It cost me $7.50 each. (I bought 2)

Here is a link (for reference) I found to a place that sells them. Any Briggs & Stratton dealer can get them for you.

Tester Link

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Good idea to check your gas for to much ethenol! I'm wondering if there is such a tester for bad gas(old gas)! I went out of my way to put non ethenol gas in my sled the last two seasons and have had nothing but problems! I think this coming season its getting whatever is fresh.

·
Mr. Part Time-On Line
35,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (pro tc @ Jul 14 2010, 12:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5342574
i have one as a semi retired auto tech lol its a pain in the ass to use so i cant see myself standing at the gas pump checking the ethanol in the gas im pumping . i just dont use ethanol. im buying a mr funnel this year
Barry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYf3YLnQGcY...feature=related[/b]
Works fine for me. Unfortunatly, we don't always have a choice to buy non-ethanol contaminated fuel here.

QUOTE (snopro31 @ Jul 14 2010, 10:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5343231
you guys worry WAY to much[/b]
you post WAY to much.

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
After reading something about a ethanol testing device over on dootalk, I had my local Briggs&Stratton dealer order me a couple. Its a small glass test tube with a screw on cap, about 2oz in size. It has lines and specific measurements on the side. You fill the tube to the water line, then fill the rest of the way to the neck with gasoline. Shake and wait 5 minutes, the separation is clearly visible and the markings on the side of the tube indicate what % of ethanol is in the gas.

Here is a link (for reference) I found to a place that sells them. Any Briggs & Stratton dealer can get them for you.

Tester Link
you shouldn't be over on DooTalk with a Polaris as a profile pic :rolleyes:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thats maybe what you think now! Until you start having crank seals go to hell on you when you are 20 to 100 miles from home on your sled and the motor is seized up. cause the ethanol dried out your seals!!
Just use a good additive like Startron, If you are going to store for any length of time use the startron and store with very little gas in the tank. The problem with ethanol when it sits to long it attracts moisture, so better to have little in the tank and then next time you go to use it, filler up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just use a good additive like Startron, If you are going to store for any length of time use the startron and store with very little gas in the tank. The problem with ethanol when it sits to long it attracts moisture, so better to have little in the tank and then next time you go to use it, filler up.
I've been hearing that that is some good stuff! I have a few antique tractors that I pull with and I have been using stabils marine formula in my tractors and I have not had any problems with it. After hearing about startron I decided to try it in my sleds and lawnmowers and snowblowers I will definately know by next season I go to use them.
With working on farm tractors I have seen alot of problems with the fuel that has Ethanol in it. If the rigs sit around too long with no treatment in them then the Ethanol has been separating from the gas and getting the carbs full of gum and like a clear jelly nastyness.

·
Banned
17 Posts

Tester Link
Is testing alcohol and Ethenol the same?

·
Registered
175 Posts
you guys worry WAY to much
ethanol makes a huge negative affect on my sleds performance, would be nice to know what fuel stations prem. fuel contanians ethanol, and which ones don't, so far I only know of one fuel company in canada that has ethanol free fuel, which is Esso V-power fuel, but once I get this device, I'll be making a stop at all the others to test their fuel.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Those lil test tubes are nothing new I have had 1 for a long time.

At $7.50 it is ok. However if u can't find 1, make your own.

Just a plastic or glass jar and mark 10% of the way up from bottom.

There u go.

have fun KK4

1 - 20 of 45 Posts