Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a hard day of riding i get my sled home come to find out my 03 f7 efi was on the ethanol side of the switch !! would this have hurt my sled any all i have done to it is a full D&D exhaust and clutch kit and V-force reeds it seemed to work ok it was down a little in rpms but i have been moving my secondary spring around trying to find the sweet spot . just wondering if i did any motor damage

Thanxs Ian

·
Registered
90 Posts
I run my switch on ethanol all the time. I was told by a dealer that it is a good idea to leave it on all the time because you never know how much ethanol is in the gas these days. My sled has always ran awsome with the swith on. If your RPM's are down a little you may need a voltage regulator. Have your ECU read at a dealer at if it says lamp load you need a new one. Mine was down a few hundred RPM and I checked everything. I put on a new regulator and it is 100 percent now.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so leaving it on the ethanol side will make it burn more fuel ? i checked my plugs and they seemed to be on the light brown side should i leave it on the ethanol side

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,336 Posts
so by putting the switch to regular it should richen it up some ??[/b]
If the switch is set on Ethanol is will spray 3% more fuel, because ethanol burns leaner it takes more to keep the cylinder cooler.
If switch back and forth while riding it will not change settings internally until you are below 5000 rpm.
If you run 10% ethanol fuel in reg or ethanol mode you will not hurt the sled.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
iam running supreme gas 93 octane thats it.. i was just wondering whick is more richer because i found my plugs a little on the light side ..

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
so by putting the switch to regular it should richen it up some ??[/b]
Just the opposite.

Switch on Ethanol=richer

Switch on Regular=leaner

And 93 octane probably isn't helping your performance.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have D&D y pipe , lite pipe , bull eyes and D&D clutch kit, rumble pack , v-force reeds

And by the way the picture of the Husky is beutiful i have a sibeiren looks just like the pic

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have D&D y pipe , lite pipe , bull eyes and D&D clutch kit, rumble pack , v-force reeds

And by the way the picture of the Husky is beutiful i have a sibeiren looks just like the pic[/b]
Thanks, they're cool dogs.

There's been many discussion on what octane to run (I used to believe higher was better too), and unless you've changed your compression or added a key, the consensus is that the higher octane is hurting performance more than it's helping.

That Rumble pack is probably slowing you down too... but they do sound cool, IMO.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
so i should run on the ethanol side with regular 87 gas ?? man iam really learning somthing here tonight[/b]
I just noticed you're Canadian. You guys run a lot of ethanol in your gas don't you? If it was me I would leave it on ethanol mode... it's not hurting anything (other than maybe a touch of performance), and it's a little bit of a safeguard.

As far as 87, if you did the mods yourself and you know there's not a timing key in there, I'd run 87 (or at least try it)... I actually notice a little bit of performance difference with mine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well iam going to try the next tank on 87 and thank you for all the help ..As far as how much ethanol we run in are gas i will find out tommorow i work at the largest refinery in Canada lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts