Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see what is happening out there with ethanol and how it affects the performance of your sled. My friend just had to replace his boots/reeds due to the rubber breaking down in the boot and cracking. He showed 2 articles that stated that ethanol is breaking down the composition of rubber intake boots and casuing them to fail. There are other issues with this fuel additive. Ethanol will break down injector oil when it is mixed. Being basically alcohol, when mixed with oil it breaks down the oil which could cause lack of lubrication. Ethanol will also leave deposits in the carbs causing clogging.

Are any of you using fuel additives to combat this problem? My machine is a 4 stroke. I am going to call the dealer and see what they have to say about the issue. Are there any other stories of dispair from ethanol. Right now, the pumps in town are 10% ethanol. I forget to check up north.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ethanol (E10) is in the southern part of the state. I believe there's no ethanol in the gas above Concord. From what I am reading, ethanol is not your engine's friend. I don't use fuel drier (dry gas) with ethanol, but do use it up north. Also be careful of the fuel stabilizers.

Bob M

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
i have been trying to get all my gas up north when i ride so it doesnt have eth in it, i do add iso heat all the time

·
Registered
454 Posts
I try to use fuel without ethenol, but if you do, put in just what you are going to use. Ethenol fuel has a shelf life of 2 weeeks!! If you use dry gas use isopropyl. I'm a marine tech we've had a lot of carb issues because of ethenol fuel. Our place switched to Marine fuel 3 years ago and it's been great! I run it in my sled when I can, 98 octane!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Make sure if you have ethanol fuel in your sled do not use regular stable. It will not work properly. Spectro makes a stabilizer that works with ethanol gas.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ethanol is north of concord. I have noticed a reduction in fuel economy (10%) with ethanol fuel, as it does not have the same amount of BTU's.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
3 Questions, What is the reason for all of these refomulated gases, and the real need for each region to have it's own blend. What is the benifit of Low Sulfur Diesel fuel. When someone can give me an answer I will have a couple of more questions. I am probaly wrong, but I could have sworn that I saw a 10% sticker on a pump in Pittsburg before. If it was not in Pittsburg I'm sure that it was quite away north of Concord.

·
Registered
254 Posts
3 Questions, What is the reason for all of these refomulated gases, and the real need for each region to have it's own blend. What is the benefit of Low Sulfur Diesel fuel. When someone can give me an answer I will have a couple of more questions. I am probably wrong, but I could have sworn that I saw a 10% sticker on a pump in Pittsburg before. If it was not in Pittsburg I'm sure that it was quite away north of Concord.[/b]
Can not answer the diesel question for you but will take a stab at the E-10. Ethanol 10% blend had been added to gas as a replacement for MTBE, an additive which was used to reduce air emissions from gasoline exhaust but instead was found to contaminate ground water (way to go Al Gore). My friend who works on small engines sees this fuel having an adverse effect on small engine performance, particularly 2 cycle stuff such as weed whackers and leaf blowers. In Mass and NH where E-10 is required, a sticker on the pump saying what is in it is also required. This does not mean that just because you see no sticker on a pump somewhere i.e. rural area, because as more states and counties begin to adopt the ethanol requirement, some states are not requiring the gas pumps being stickered. I recently read where the state of Missouri is one of them. I know my truck has not run as well with E-10. When I go to Maine and buy gas where it was no ethanol, the performance and gas mileage both increased. Not sure if Maine is planning to go E-10 statewide or not. To make the ethanol matter even more disturbing, I have been hearing talk of increasing the blend to as high as 30%.
Hope this helps, and if I am wrong, or incomplete, please do not flame me but add what you know too. The more we can all learn about this, the better prepared and informed we can be to do what is necessary to protect our engines big and small from failure.
Happy trails.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I didn't realize sta-bil doesn't work with E10....good to know.

One suggestion for people to get more answers is to check some of the midwest forums, they have been running ethanol for a while now.

I have found in the engines I work on that it really has next to no shelf life. If small engine sits idle for more then a few weeks get it out. It is also hard on rubber components (and even harder on older boats with fiberglass fuel tanks!!!), but I've seen few sleds older then 5 years old that don't have deteriorating carb adapters, so should keep up on that anyways. No need to run dry gas with it as ethanol absorbs water and will remove it, but from what I've seen if it sits in machine for a while the water tends to really accumulate and cause problems....don't know if it absorbs moisture from the air or something and compounds the problem???

Machine will run leaner on E10, I'm pretty sure the midwest guys claim its like running one jet size leaner, so keep that in mind if your running the ragged edge with your carb set up.

Ethanol produces worse milege cause there is less energy per unit of volume then in gas. Ethanol can be run at higher compression ratios though and doing so gives it fuel milege comparable to gas. An engine running E100 gets like 30% less milege then gas....so at 10% we're only talking 3% less milege, not real signifcant.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I didn't realize sta-bil doesn't work with E10....good to know.[/b]
I think Kappy wrote "stable". Not sure he meant Sta-bil the product, or gas stabilizers in general. The STA-BIL web site claims it works with Ethanol, but I don't really have any negative/positive experience to support/disclaim this. Anyone?

STA-BIL website

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I think Kappy wrote "stable". Not sure he meant Sta-bil the product, or gas stabilizers in general. The STA-BIL web site claims it works with Ethanol, but I don't really have any negative/positive experience to support/disclaim this. Anyone?

STA-BIL website[/b]
Good to know cause I've still been using this stuff.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good to know cause I've still been using this stuff.[/b]
I have been told by my dealer as well as a mechanic friend NOT to use Stabil in my sleds or ATV's. Both said they would only use the stabilizer from Spectro.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have been using this in my 2 stroke, and my 4 stroke dirtbike for the past year, it's the spectro stuff. I have found that.... They definitely don't wanna start very well, an the bike has to be at peak operating temp. for it to work good. I used to be able to get gas from up north cuz my dad goes up to berlin and littleton all the time, an I definitely notice the difference even with the fuel conditioner. My 2 stroke didn't run much this year, but after it had been sitting for a couple months I didn't even wanna take a chance on a new top end, so I took my carbs apart. What I'm gonna do this year, is take out the gas that I don't use in my bike,after each ride an put it in a seperate gas can marked "Bonfire Gas". My 2 stroke dirtbike says right in the manual that it was made to operate on no more than a 10% mix of ethanol or methanol. But anything carbed you should keep an eye on as this stuff sucks, an it'll only get worse with these "flex fuel" people out there. But I have to say, I haven't had any problems yet with either bike using the spectro stabilizer for about a year now.

http://www.spectro-oils.com/new_products.htm

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
3 Questions, What is the reason for all of these refomulated gases, and the real need for each region to have it's own blend. What is the benifit of Low Sulfur Diesel fuel. When someone can give me an answer I will have a couple of more questions. I am probaly wrong, but I could have sworn that I saw a 10% sticker on a pump in Pittsburg before. If it was not in Pittsburg I'm sure that it was quite away north of Concord.[/b]

More info on Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. It's here to stay...

http://www.truckline.com/NR/rdonlyres/0CCB...D_QA_050506.pdf

·
Registered
70 Posts
so what are we supposed to do, deal with it? It doesnt seem very practical to buy gas only in ME![/b]
Good luck, I was gassing up the truck the other day and saw a 10% ethenol sticker. My friend just came back from fort kent and said that there are 49 ski-doo's behind fort kent ski-doo all with blown motors from ethenol.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Good luck, I was gassing up the truck the other day and saw a 10% ethenol sticker. My friend just came back from fort kent and said that there are 49 ski-doo's behind fort kent ski-doo all with blown motors from ethenol.[/b]
Ski-Doo motors were blowing up left and right long before ethanol fuel came out.
:whistle:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Ethanol causes problems for the following reasons:

* If the mix has more than 10% ethanol, it can damage hoses and plastic components
* Ethanol doesn't generate as much energy as gasoline, so you experience a dropoff in performance and fuel economy. Your slefd won't go as fast or as far as when it runs on 100% gas.
* Ethanol is alcohol - it attracts water into the fuel. This leads to - at least - rough-running engines.
* Most modern engines can run on a maximum blend of 10%ethanol/90% gas; adding an additive that is made from or of alcohol will cause the fuel to fall out of spec. This could lead to warranty issues and/or engine damage.
* Ethanol is a solvent, so it will strip away any crud in the fuel tank or fuel delivery system, causing plugged filters and injectors.
* If a sufficient amount of water forms in the E10, it can lead to phase separation that can then lead to engine problems.

We are sending an offer to sled clubs throughout the NE in which we offer each one a free case of our Star Tron additive. All we ask is for feedback on how it worked. The active ingredients are ezymes; it contains no alcohol. It has proven to be a "cure" for ethanol fuel in boat engines all over the US. Tell your club president to keep an eye out for the e-mail. We are also sending cases to law enforcement agencies for their use just as we provide it to the water cops for their boats.

Ski-Doo motors were blowing up left and right long before ethanol fuel came out.
:whistle:[/b]

1 - 20 of 57 Posts