Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you entitled to updates from Cat. Such as Smart valves, APV fixes, pull cord rope and others? I bring them up to my dealer and he seems put out by it. Appears he feels I am whinning and has told me if its not broke, dont fix it. I agree, but after my warranty is off and if some of those items break, do I still get themn replaced for free? Must the item break before your dealer must service them? Should he be calling all sleds in for updates, or is that only if yours breaks?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I WOULD TELL THAT DEALER TO GO SCRATCH!
MY LOCAL DEALER CALLED ME AND ASKED ME TO BRING IT BY, EVEN IF I WASN'T HAVING PROBLEMS,
THEY NEED TO MAKE YOU THE CUSTOMER HAPPY!

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Not whining, just a question….

Supposing you go to the dealer to get the updates. Dealer does everything but decides not to change your pull rope to save some time since it doesn’t look that bad. Next year you get your sled out of storage and fire it up. The pull cord breaks. Who is responsible? It’s not a lot of money; it is not a big repair. It’s just one of those things that make me say hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I SUPPLIED MY DEALER WITH MY OWN SPECTRE CORD, HE USED CATS ALLOWED TIME TO INSTALL IT!
I KNOW IT WAS DONE!, THE SPECTRE CORD IS RED AND EXTREMLY HEAVY DUTY

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a dealer like that he seemed to avoid doing any warranty work because he said cat didnt pay good warranty times.I talked to other guys about this dealer and they all said the same thing (he sucks).I changed dealers and I guess alot of other people did to because that dealer is now closed.

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
every time i called my dealer, he said bring it down today.
the first time he did the smart valves while i wated.
there is a lot of good dealers out there.
dont waist another minute on that dealer!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I say give the damn dealer a chance for kripe's sake! Some of us live too far away from a second dealer to give up on the closest one that easily. I must say, I don't like the sound of his (the dealer) attitude so far. What's he think, that Cat's puttin' out these bulletins just for the fun of it, and to waste everyone's time???

The recoil update SHOULD be done. And even then, that's not working that great for a lot of guys. If your sled falls into the serial number range for the smart valves and the handlebar bracket updates, they SHOULD be done. ALL Fire Cats should've had the Fire Cat update kit installed by now -- the longer front skid bolts, new rail tip nut & bolts, and flipped coil. These updates are for reliability issues, but a few of them could, and have been, safety issues as well.

I'd sit down and have a good talk with your dealer if I were you and try to work things out like two grown men. JMO! -- Roy

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
my dealer called me to bring it in and took care of everything. now if i chould only figure out this suspension ? that would be great!!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by scott@Feb 4 2003, 09:53 AM
Are you entitled to updates from Cat. Such as Smart valves, APV fixes, pull cord rope and others? I bring them up to my dealer and he seems put out by it. Appears he feels I am whinning and has told me if its not broke, dont fix it. I agree, but after my warranty is off and if some of those items break, do I still get themn replaced for free? Must the item break before your dealer must service them? Should he be calling all sleds in for updates, or is that only if yours breaks?
Get a new dealer, yours shouldn't be selling Cats......

·
Registered
534 Posts
The dealers, even the good ones may complain a bit about Cat not allowing enough time for warrenty or update work. (A mechanic at my dealer said, "AC is the cheapest" in reimbursing for time required.)

The dealer should do the updates. Demand that they change your pull cord . . . but FIRST . . . either order the OUTDOOR shop pull cord fix or the "pulley" pull cord fix that you've seen and read about here. If you order those parts first, you can get the new pull cord on the sled at the dealer and then spend 10 to 40 minutes of your own time to install a REAL fix. Because the AC FIX will NOT work. Believe me. I had an incident (flooding operator error, and possibly frozen smart valves or water) that caused me to pull on the pull cord at least 50 or 60 times. The AC update had been done and by the time the sled was returned to the dealer the AC fix DID NOT work. The cord was frayed in half near the frame and the plastic 'frame protector" covering the frame near the recoil had a nice wear pattern in it. Now we ride every weekend, and we ride 2 and 1/2 days (having Friday off) every weekend. So we run our sleds more than most. That with the extra 50 to 60 pulls brought out the flaw in the AC fix.

So guess what? I took the sled back to the dealer for a second AC paid fix. . . it's still under warrenty. Then took the sled home. . . reinstalled my own homemade PVC 1/2 pipe fix. And then ordered the outdoor shop fix which is a metal pipe that re-routes the pull cord properly. AC should be offering a tube like the OUTDOOR shop, but the bean counters at AC or someone blew it with the fix that won't last.

Of course you could do a modification to the AC pull cord fix, one would be to get spectre rope, but how long will it hold up against the frame of the sled? It will either carve a slot into the aluminum eventually and carve a hole into your plastic tank near the "fix" or it will break eventually. Or you could CUT A HOLE in the frame by the recoil. This probably won't have much effect on the strength of the frame, but I figure I'd rather pay $30 to the Outdoor shop for a fix that works rather than modify my sled. Why should I have to build the Firecat or re-engineer it, that's AC's job.

Some of the updates are safety related and deal with the skid. Your "dealer" is being careless in not wanting to do the updates. What are you supposed to do? Wait for the skid to fall out and have a wreck before performing those updates?

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
They don't pay well on some stuff...But is our deal to fix these...I guess I would say..get a different dealer also..sorry

·
Registered
119 Posts
my dealer called about 3 weeks ago saying he would call back to bring in my sled for updates. called him the other day and says that he is really busy and hasnt had time.... also i still havent gotten mounting kits for handgaurds or my mirrors. so i went to a different dealer to get the mirrors

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,046 Posts
My mechanic was more than happy to give me the updates, I put them in myself, the directions were very detailed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts