Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I think I noticed in the manual that the F7 will over heat very quickly if used too much on hard snow, is this correct?, I just got 55 miles on mine yesterday, got it on Tuesday, and I was using it for a while last night, and then the 'check engine' light came on, I stopped and let it cool, drove off, and didn't touch it till this morning, is this normal, anyone have any info that might be useful for me, should I tell my dealer about this?, he said he bled the coolant system, I don't think it's leaking, please help!!!!
Gerry

·
Registered
236 Posts
Had the same problem on my F7 SP at about the same mileage. I let it sit overnight and the light hasn't come on since. I think others on the forum have said that the light will come on due to moisture in some of the wires. I now have 550 miles with no problems. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks snowtrail, that is a little more reasurring, but the compact snow could be a factor as well could it??
how many more miles do I need before I could race?, some guy came up to me and wanted to drag with me, he's got an XCSP 600, poor guy, he thought mine was an F5 which would also kick his ass, but he had no more to say when I told him it was an F7 LOL, thanks again

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I had the light come on yesterday on my F6, but I was riding in 35+ degree weather and on a trail. I did a few circles in some fresh powder and it fixed it. I think it was overheating or something was overheating and it needed the fresh snow to help cool it off. Light was on for only a minutes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
^_^ Yep, this happened to mine as well up in Munising a couple of weeks ago. Intown trail didn't have much snow on it, light came on and I just let it cool for ten minutes or so. Fired her back up, no more problems. Just a make sure when you see this, shut it down. Good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you good sir's, I was starting to think that my F7 caught that virus that makes the engine die, much appreciated, not too much powder up here in the Arctic, maybe spring time !!!!
Gerry

·
Registered
290 Posts
Happened to me a couple times. Last week it was -35 and the trail was like concrete, light started flashing away. Same a few we ago on a hard pack trail but I had a cut flap that time out, now I have a stock one.
Make sure your snow flap isn't sucked up and/or try to ride in some fresh/loose snow. It has worked for me so far.
I'd get a temp. gauge too....do a search on "water temp gauge" there are a few posts here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks AC, actually I cut that extended part off the flap the other day, bad idea??
ok, I think I'm on the right track here now, driving with a bunch tomorrow out on the ice, I only have 60 miles, I don't think I should race no one yet

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
manual says and 100 other posts say: at a certain temp the light will flicker ( 180 i think ) then 20 degress after that it will stay on and higher then that your red temp light will come on. Happen to me the other day after zipping up a few streets.... i put snow on heat exhangers ( melted crazy fast ) and went on....

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
yes i'm serious, i rode mine like a rental from day one, i am not one of the burn down stat's!
700 miles and runs perfect!
the first tank of fuel i had to beat it, or the plugs kept fouling because of the pre-mix!
60 miles is a good break-in, i'm sure others will have opinions, thats what this site is for, so take in all the advice and make your decision!
plus you are still under warranty, nows the time to see if you have one of the plagued motors!

i wouldnt hold it open for two miles across the lake, but 600 ft runs i would hold the flapper to the bars!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well thanks guys, yes I"ll have to do a couple runs on the ice for sure then, and if no powder, CCC i"ll use your advice of snow on heat exchangers, thanks guys, I am so wanting to race my friends ZX 800 H.O, shouldn't be a problem as I've read on this forum :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
actually I cut that extended part off the flap the other day, bad idea??[/b]
The jury is still out on that one. I went back to the stock flap for piece of mind. I think it all depends where you ride. If you ride power then you can remove the flap without a problem. If you ride super hard packed then you need the stocker.
If your riding ice then I would have the stocker but give a shot first before you go buy a new one. Of course nothing is going to work on glare though.

I'd also wait before the premix or the first tank of gas is gone before I'd start racing. IMO

·
Registered
575 Posts
With liquid cooled sleds sometimes you gotta find some loose snow or powder to kick up in the track to the heat exchanger. That'll keep her cool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts