Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best summer engine lay away, fogging it or starting every once in a while.
If starting is your thing how often throughout the summer. weekly, monthly?

Thanks folks

·
Public Relations Officer
Cat SX
15,773 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This...but I fire it up and enjoy the fragrance more frequently. Mmmmm......

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did add stabilizer and the same as Zambroski enjoy the 2 smoke smell.....lol

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'd recommend fuel stabilizer and fogging it. I add the stabilizer towards the end of my last ride. I'm a fan of fogging so if you don't get around to starting it over the summer it doesn't matter. Lots of guys have good intentions of starting the sled every month but never get to it. Add the stabilizer even if you plan to start it every month.
  1. I also spray it down with fogging oil. Keeps the rust, the mice and the squirrels away.

·
Registered
19,927 Posts
Run some kind of fuel stabilizer through it and fog it. And don’t start the thing until you get it out in fall. It would defeat the purpose of figging it. The cats are super easy to fog. Take the hood off and spray it right down the intake

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do not fog or start any of my engines that are stored off season. My last snowmobile went 25k miles with good compression when I sold it. Two years ago I sold a snowmobile that I had stored for 30 years. The engine also had good compression when I sold it. When it comes to maintenance most of what you read on the internet is not necessary.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I used fuel stabilizer last ride of the season then would start it mid summer just to hear it run and breathe in that wonder smell lol.Never any problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated
My dealer said as some have mentioned, if you start it each month fogging is not necessary but you have to remember to do it.
If your the forgetful type then fog it.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I drained all my fuel out put 5 gals Avgas in my tank and ran it for about 10 mins. Avgas can store for 5 years...grease all fittings and spray all suspension parts and fasteners down with silicone spray or WD-40 to give it a light coating...

·
Registered
2017 ZR 6000 Roger Skime
999 Posts
If the dealers don't do it, then that should tell you something. Nobody fogs anymore except for BRP Randall they do is run the oil injection wide open for 2 minutes. I have not fogged any of my cats over the last 3-4years. Just run stable in the tank for the last ride and call it good. What most people forget to do is grease the machine. You want all the water out of the suspension before parking it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
This is my Summer storage routine. Fresh tank of non-oxy premium, fuel stabilizer, run motor and fog the motor. Starting the sled once a month or whatever isn't a good thing. You may get your fix of 2-stroke smoke... You also condensate the internals of the motor. Tough to judge if you actually get the motor up to operating temperature.... Do what you gotta do, I guess.

·
Registered
2012 TZ1 Touring
860 Posts
I think a lot depends on where you store the sled. If it is in a garage or shed, even an enclosed trailer, fuel stabilizer should be fine.

If you are going to leave it where you parked it the last time you rode it, you will need to do a lot more work. I think mice and sun will do a lot more damage than fogging or not fogging.

·
Super Advanced Member
2,227 Posts
I used to put in Sta-Bil fogging oil, but now I'll just start my sled a few times over summer with fresh gas.
I'll pull it over with the kill-switch off intentionally a few times first.
EFI seems to handle this better then carbed machines in my experience.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
If the dealers don't do it, then that should tell you something. Nobody fogs anymore except for BRP Randall they do is run the oil injection wide open for 2 minutes. I have not fogged any of my cats over the last 3-4years. Just run stable in the tank for the last ride and call it good. What most people forget to do is grease the machine. You want all the water out of the suspension before parking it.
Dealers will also leave it outside in the pouring rain too. Sonetimes they are even nicer and leave it in/next to a supeedusty dirt parking lot also. No air filters on sleds .
No thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts