Hardcore Sledder banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to post this everyone but you need to now so here it is. I still think these Firecats are gonna rock but they have a lot of sorting out to do. After 300km of riding nursing and garage ogling my F7 it has now come home on a rope twice. The first time the sled ran out of gas. My fault, it would appear that you need more than 1 inch of fuel level in the bottom of the tank to pick up the fuel properly. On my third ride of the season yesterday the recoil rope broke. I had made a guide tube for the cord similiar to what the others on this forum have been talking about, still the cord broke right at the recoil housing . After this incident and getting sled started again the air force induction kept getting clogged with snow. We were breaking trail in 18 plus inches of powder and in light of the unusual conditions with the powder coming over the hood I can see how it happens. But you have to ask yourself if this problem should have surfaced during testing? The sled was running poorly and i assumed it was due to the intake constantly packing with snow, however after removing the mag side spark plug the aluminum gray colour of the plug indicated something more serious. Sled won,t even start now , I'm pissed right off!
Dropped sled off at the dealer this morning . He removed the exhaust and immediatly through the exhaust port you could see the damage. The mechanic said that the piston ring had turned. I'm not exacctly sure how he could tell since i could not see the ring gap. In any case this is going to involve a new piston, new rings, a new jug and power valve. This is my third new Cat since 1999 and this will be my 3rd warranty motor. I'd like to thank Rob for all his work on this forum, Itruly hope we all aren't stuck with lemons!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just got off the phone from the dealer .He say they have torn the top end down on the sled and indeed needs the parts listed in the previous posting. He claims it will be a few days for parts if they are even avaliable. I read in other posts on this forum that parts would be rush shipped overnight in such cases. He also claims that the failure is indeed due to the piston ring turning. Any thoughts from anyone regarding this would be a great help. I am also concerned about metal debris going into the bottom end end of the engine, should I demand some kind of extended warranty for future problems ? I buy new sleds every couple of years to avoid b.s. like this.
I quess I can't ride so I'm looking for some shoulderd to cry on!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Must have been a bad piston .probably the alignment pin came out,or was never in.Dealer should know if fillings go into case and remone engine if needed.Cat is good at standing behind their engines,I have seen them fix a 800 tripple that was 2 years out of warranty.Good luck ,and hang in there

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Yes, Good luck. I am waiting till tomorrow afternoon to even call my dealer adn see if my new engine parts are in...My fingers are crossed. Keep us posted on what your dealer says was the cause.

·
Registered
827 Posts
bummer, snow hopefully they will fix it pronto,,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't seem to be much concern by the dealer about regarding any debris in the bottom end of the engine, and to be honest as long as they will stand by their warranty I'm satified with that. My 99 ZR600 was out of warranty and Cat still covered my motor! While were on this topic does it not concern others that these sled motors just don't seem to hold up? I've only been sledding for about 5 seasons now and have experienced 5 engine going south! I love this sport but this anxiety of this whole reliability issue is enough to make me walk away from snowmobiling. I believe I take good care of my sleds and maintain them well, and they still don't hold together! Thank God for warranty.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
there should be nothing to worry about on the lower end. All the crap usually blows out the exhaust. But when its apart I'm sure they will have a looksee..

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just an update . Sled still in the shop. Waiting for one more part, two weekends riding missed and yes I can find snow but it's going away fast. I've got a funny feeling i'll get the sled back without the rope update. As a person my dealer is a nice person but he seems to busy to really get things looked after right.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Jay,

I forot to tell you...when I picked mine up tonight the rope fix was still not into my dealer yet...another thing I have to worry about...hopefully the rope will stay together...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.