Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken off their pipe and looked at the pistons for signs of blow by? I took mine off last night -2700miles-and had brown coloring below my rings. I then compared it to my 800zrt-9700miles- which had no discoloring below the ring gap. Cold compression test 145 each side. I did not check it hot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I find it very interesting that just a few short years ago I can remember being told not to run synthetic oit as it will keep the rings from seating and there will be excessive blow bye. Now we run synthetic from day one...all of these people pulling their exhausts apart are reporting blow bye at 2 and 3 hundred miles all the way up to and over on thousand. I work part time at a cat dealer and honestly have seen two recurring engine problems..the first is cold seizure...too many get too excited and open them up before they are warm and maybe there was some relation to the coolant burping issue of early this winter but I cant prove it
the second thing I see a lot of...and this goes for many of the problems we have seen is people just dont care...you would not beleive the mud I see in some oil injection tanks, the clutches hanging off, the salt damage under the hood, the wiring harnesses hacked into, the mouse nests, the duct tape...it is truly amazing to me.
I am not saying there were not issues with the f series of sleds..I own one, I work on them...I truly believe 99 percent of the service bulletin issues were the growing pains of owning a sled that is developmentally an infant.
I know the f cat will get better each year, actually mine absolutley rocks, I have had ZERO failures, I am over 3000 very happy miles, actually lets call it 2500 happy miles as for the first 500 miles I hated the sled. Why did I hate it...it is simple, I did not understand it. It took me a GOOD 500 miles to finally feel one with the sled. Now that I do....my 02 800 cross country feels like an absolute pig....handling especially. I cant even consider doing things on a zr that I am now comfortable doing on my fcat.
I also must say that this site has been a great outlet to explore everyone elses idaes and setups, I must give kudos to rob and all of the administrators...havethere been a few bumps in the road..yes..why..because this site was in its infancy..get my message.
Anyway, I have watched the coloration below the rings on my sled go from almost a black color to a brownish smudge now. I am not a rocket scientist but my compression is good, power is good and I have not seen any other signs that there is an issue with thgis brown smudge below the ring. The one reservation I have is why does the smudge seem to be on the same spot on the mag side for every one. I guess time will tell but for now..ride on.
One last thing..i have ridden cats for 15 years, I have had a new cat every year since 93, I also work at a dealer part time. we sell cats and Polaris..I cant bash any of them, if you look back they all have their fair share of issues, from what I hear there are some major motor issues with the REV...is it a bad sled??? Hell no it is a great sled and a huge leap. I have about 300 miles of seat time on a rev this winter and I really like it. I would take my cat in the bumps any day but the rev is very smooth in the washboard...maybe partly because I am on a sno pro but it is still an impressive machine. I know they will get the motor issues ironed out just like cat will get the bugs worked out of the f chassis. I look at this and feel we all win when the manufacturers dedicate so much resources to a new model. I know the frustartions of having to bring your sleds back for updates is annoying, but then it all comes back to having a good dealer.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Excellent post flatside it can't be said any better! B)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts