1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
20,653 Posts
FYI .... a couple of threads already out there on this topic:

·
Registered
883 Posts
I know this is a snowmobile forum but wondering what effect this will have on the E-Tec snowmobile motor division

BRP to cease production of E-TECs
Wont effect them much if any at all. They still own the tech. Boating right now is taking a hell of a beating. I hate four stroke outboards. way to much maintenance. Will stick to the old carbed engines I guess. Not a huge boater myself. Just for fishing. My 25 Horse Johnson will probably outlive me anyway.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Wont effect them much if any at all. They still own the tech. Boating right now is taking a hell of a beating. I hate four stroke outboards. way to much maintenance. Will stick to the old carbed engines I guess. Not a huge boater myself. Just for fishing. My 25 Horse Johnson will probably outlive me anyway.
You just spit out garbage without any knowledge whatsoever. Its unbelievable. I sell boats and live in CT and we are crazy busy right now. Yes a state that will probably be the last to fully reopen from covid and we are slammed busy. So Jim STFU. You have no clue what you are talking about.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You just spit out garbage without any knowledge whatsoever. Its unbelievable. I sell boats and live in CT and we are crazy busy right now. Yes a state that will probably be the last to fully reopen from covid and we are slammed busy. So Jim STFU. You have no clue what you are talking about.
Must be why polaris just dumped a bunch of brands and BRP dropping the Etech. I am just stating the obvious Evil. Remember that this is a no bash zone here in case you forgot. And what did I say actually that pissed you off. I bashed no one. Seriously?

·
Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe the comment that you hate 4 strokes?? I see no harm in your comments Jim
Thanks for the replies folks, hate to see this kind of stuff happen to proven companies no matter the cause

·
Registered
883 Posts
Maybe the comment that you hate 4 strokes?? I see no harm in your comments Jim
Thanks for the replies folks, hate to see this kind of stuff happen to proven companies no matter the cause
My hate of four strokes is an opinion. Never been a doo guy, but loved those Etec outboard. Going to miss them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
And not only are sales very good, in Connecticut They are good in the midwest, Missouri is a hotspot for bass fishing, sales good down there too.

Boat sales surge as people plan to spend summer outdoors during pandemic

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
NO BASH ZONE,,, sorry, doesn't apply when a Polaris lover does it. Helps when the Mods are in the same fan club. Just an observation.

·
Administrator
20,653 Posts
Hey guys ... before you post, and just assume you're in the General Discussion Forum please LOOK. The BS doesn't belong in the brand specific forums. And for the others that see the BS, and don't see it being moderated quickly enough, please use the REPORT POST function so our Mods & Admins can do something about it.

·
Administrator
20,653 Posts
For anyone who's not sure how to report a post:

How To Report a Post
Click on the 3 vertical dots to the far right of the time stamp. Select Report from the drop-down.

Add your reason for the report to the popup and click Report when you are done.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'm not sure what a four stroke needs for maintenance over a two stroke outboard. My Merc 150 four-stroke has been nothing but great for five years now. I'm not knocking the etec, those a fine engine as well.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm not sure what a four stroke needs for maintenance over a two stroke outboard. My Merc 150 four-stroke has been nothing but great for five years now. I'm not knocking the etec, those a fine engine as well.
Oil changes compared to just adding oil. Have a Brother in law with a Merc 4 stroke and it turned into a mess changing the oil. has to be a better way. Assuming they will require valve adjustments at some point as well. Just prefer the sound and smell of a good two stroke. Those Etecs could run under warranty like 4 hours out of oil. that was there literature. Not sure I believe it and would not be able to find a reason to be out of oil, but a pretty big claim. Again, going to miss them.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'm not sure what year his motor is, but mine has a barb fitting on the side to hook a rubber hose on for the oil drain. There is a drip pan under the oil filter with another barb fitting to catch the oil when you remove the filter. I agree adding oil is pretty simple vs changing, but I don't find it to be that much of a hassle. Some might complain about the lower unit drain being behind the prop, but it gives a chance to grease the spline on the prop shaft.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm not sure what year his motor is, but mine has a barb fitting on the side to hook a rubber hose on for the oil drain. There is a drip pan under the oil filter with another barb fitting to catch the oil when you remove the filter. I agree adding oil is pretty simple vs changing, but I don't find it to be that much of a hassle. Some might complain about the lower unit drain being behind the prop, but it gives a chance to grease the spline on the prop shaft.
Agree, those people that say four stroke outboards are too much of a mess don't know how to change oil on a Mercury (see the quote above) Valve adjustments aren't a big deal, they rarely need it, and when they do, just change the shims and with the fuel injection now, it's pretty much foolproof. They just sip fuel, and sound? You can barely hear them run, no matter what type, two or four stroke outboards. There are thousands upon thousands of boats in the Gulf by people like us that have second homes in Florida, and many thousands of Four Stroke motors out on the ocean or Gulf with no problems at all. The naysayers may live in the past but now with modern engines, everything runs smoothly, no problems at all.

·
Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My oldest son bought a 18' Legend with a 115 HP Merc 4 stroke back in 2017 and has had no issues with it at all. To me, oil changes in your outboard are no different than your vehicle. As to valve adjustments, I have 8500 miles on my ZR 7000 and some Cat and Yamaha 4 strokers claim I may be due for a valve adjustment? Not sure how to tell when it is needed as others claim to have 10000 plus miles without it. I have a Ctec2 6000 and a Ctec4 7000. I have not compared the cost difference between adding oil a few times per year or changing the oil once per year.
To me they are both great in there own way and that's why I own both

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I have a late 80s once /Evinrude it’s a workhorse still runs good. But I don’t think the newer generation really caught on esp. down south. I go to Florida salt fishing often and anything even remotely new seems to be dominated by Yamaha and suzuki might even be catching on. A friend /guide I know down thier runs Yamaha outboard I asked him a couple years ago why not Evinrude he said the bottom ends don’t hold up with the amount of hours put on boats down south (unlike upnorth with winters ) he was telling me he gets a 2ish seasons out of his Yamaha on his guide boats and then trades em in on new ones because he can’t risk having a failure .a couple guys he knew tried the Evinrude s on thier guide boats and the bottom ends don’t make it. Point is if you can’t compete in that southern boat market your dead in the water

1 - 20 of 22 Posts