Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 850 Pro S SB. 2006 600 Fusion
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to go look today. In the past 25 plus years, the Snocross circuit began here in Duluth. A lone gun sits on top of the hill,, awaiting orders to broadcast white gold. I walked to the main ski hill areas, and yes, the two foot thick snow is groomed and other guns have been busy.

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Plant

Cloud Atmosphere Sky Snow Slope

Automotive tire Road surface Plant Branch Asphalt

Snow Slope Sky Tree Street light

The skiers got their wish.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
So the skiers complained about the Snocross weekend?

There is a group trying to ban all motorized riding in some parts of Western UP…..I emailed the group and asked if that includes snowmobiles “yes, but very rarely are snowmobiles ridden through that area”….. well then why ban them??

Unfortunately our sport survival is going to come down to lobbyist….the group with the most influence will win…..and I doubt it will be us…..

·
Premium Member
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a combination of ski hill mis- management, the city higher ups complaining the costs were so high. But, it was the biggest attraction the ski hill had, and made a lot of money not just there, but businesses in our city, too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
People only see the "issue" right in front of them, and not the ramifications of their decisions downstream. Get rid of the bad snowmobiles but don't consider the economic impact. Skiers don't typically bring in near the $$ into restaurants, bars, and hotels that sledders do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The last years snowcross in Duluth was cancelled at the last minute - I don't recall if it was Covid or weather related, the city owned ski hill (spirit mountain) had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars making snow and others related costs as well as the big fee to the snowcross organizers. Spirit mountain then had to get a (i believe it was) $250000 cash infusion from the city council or they said they were going to go under & cancel the ski season. They would then have to refund the season pass holders. This had nothing to do with any skier complaints - I don't think I've ever heard of any conflicts there.
Has more to due with climate warming, being the first event of the season it has lost other days/been cut short due to rainouts etc, and it becoming more difficult to guarantee the ski hill (and city) didn't lose their shirt.
I believe they indicated they would be interested in hosting racing again, but preferably later in the season. From what I understand the schedule was already set when Duluth made this decision & a later date was unavailable this year.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As a track worker for the event for over a dozen years, we were dissed many times, as the management(s) tended to claim that the ski hill did just fine without the snowmobilers. We were treated like we were second class citizens, except when the guys who started the event were running the show. The greenies frowned upon other events that involved snowmobiles, too. "Visit Duluth" was kicked out of the promotional programs, the city said they weren't needed. Anything to cut the costs. The venue grew exponentially, especially the last four years or so. There's no way the event caused the ski hill to lose money, when the weather was decent. I know it's been a struggle to get the track up and in shape for many years due to its early slot in the schedule. Today, looking at the amount of snow they had made for the rest of the slopes so far, no reason to think it wouldn't have been enough snow this year, like 95% of previous ones.

The city has had liberal mindsets when it came to supporting functions like this. I don't know that the skiers themselves put a consortium of naysayers about any of these, I feel they do tend to be put off by gasoline powered/motorized anything. If the council wants to keep the ski hill a viable enterprise, they should reconsider engaging these events. It brings more awareness, and what else the city has to offer, for recreational activities. I heard the management is once again changing this year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As a track worker for the event for over a dozen years, we were dissed many times, as the management(s) tended to claim that the ski hill did just fine without the snowmobilers. We were treated like we were second class citizens, except when the guys who started the event were running the show. The greenies frowned upon other events that involved snowmobiles, too. "Visit Duluth" was kicked out of the promotional programs, the city said they weren't needed. Anything to cut the costs. The venue grew exponentially, especially the last four years or so. There's no way the event caused the ski hill to lose money, when the weather was decent. I know it's been a struggle to get the track up and in shape for many years due to its early slot in the schedule. Today, looking at the rest of the snow they had made for the rest of the slopes so far, no reason to think it wouldn't have been enough snow this year, like 95% of previous ones.

The city has had liberal mindsets when it came to supporting functions like this. I don't know that the skiers themselves put a consortium of naysayers about any of these, I feel they do tend to be put off by gasoline powered/motorized anything. If the council wants to keep the ski hill a viable enterprise, they should reconsider engaging these events. It brings more awareness, and what else the city has to offer, for recreational activities. I heard the management is once again changing this year.
I don't disagree with most of what you're saying. In general the powers that be in Duluth have been somewhat anti- snowmobile. However, don't paint all skiers with the same brush - my buddies & I all ski & are all avid snowmobile /atv / powersport enthusiasts. I got my first sled in 1970, & a season pass at Spirit Mountain in 1974 - I've mostly rode more than skied, but still do both.

·
Premium Member
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get what you are saying, I used to have a season pass for the slopes, been skiing since 1973. I got free entry into the snocross races because I had access to the hill..

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
So the skiers complained about the Snocross weekend?

There is a group trying to ban all motorized riding in some parts of Western UP…..I emailed the group and asked if that includes snowmobiles “yes, but very rarely are snowmobiles ridden through that area”….. well then why ban them??

Unfortunately our sport survival is going to come down to lobbyist….the group with the most influence will win…..and I doubt it will be us…..
Can you share any info on that please.

·
Registered
2018 Polaris Pro S 800
807 Posts
The last years snowcross in Duluth was cancelled at the last minute - I don't recall if it was Covid or weather related, the city owned ski hill (spirit mountain) had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars making snow and others related costs as well as the big fee to the snowcross organizers. Spirit mountain then had to get a (i believe it was) $250000 cash infusion from the city council or they said they were going to go under & cancel the ski season. They would then have to refund the season pass holders. This had nothing to do with any skier complaints - I don't think I've ever heard of any conflicts there.
Has more to due with climate warming, being the first event of the season it has lost other days/been cut short due to rainouts etc, and it becoming more difficult to guarantee the ski hill (and city) didn't lose their shirt.
I believe they indicated they would be interested in hosting racing again, but preferably later in the season. From what I understand the schedule was already set when Duluth made this decision & a later date was unavailable this year.
Dont tell me you actually believe in "climate warming"

·
Registered
2018 Polaris Pro S 800
807 Posts
I think the climate is always changing and we seem to be in a warming cycle. Whether it's natural or caused by Man is up for debate. I do know it rains too many times now in the winter when it used to snow...
You are right, it is always changing. Take a look at some swamp areas if you have them in your area. Here in MN there are many that have large (50 to 75 yrs old) dead trees. They have been drowned by water but at one time (before I was around) they were in a dry area.
All Im saying is dont be fooled by "climate change" advocates pushing their agenda.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts