Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going through electrical problems. Dealer replaced coil and stator thinking that was the problem. Now Cat says probably a short in a wire somewhere. If you ran into this problem, where were your shorts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had a problem similar to this with a previous cat (brand new) that I owned. After the dealer replaced the parts that you mentioned and then some, we ended up finding anti-freeze in the wiring harness plug directly under the overflow bottle (water or moisture will do the same thing). We blew out all the electrical fittings and put dielectric grease in them and never had another problem. After losing 3 weeks of riding (and many sleepless nights) to this issue, it is now the first thing I do to all electrical fittings on a new sled.

Good luck,
Todd

·
Super Moderator
4,357 Posts
check your rear tail light assembly. mine was under ice underneath the seat. remove your seat to do this and the connector within 8 inches of the tank.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You did'nt say what kind of problems you were having but I thought my coil was bad because my sled would run on one cylinder at times. Turns out I had a short in the ignition wire where it rubbed through on the steering post.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Originally posted by biggestcat@Mar 22 2003, 11:52 AM
I'm going through electrical problems. Dealer replaced coil and stator thinking that was the problem. Now Cat says probably a short in a wire somewhere. If you ran into this problem, where were your shorts?
i had the exact same problem on my yamaha, fuckers charged me plenty but never fixed it..... coils, cdi ( blah blah blah ) turned out to be a cracked wire on the stator, shorting out every now and then

:(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer found the short that burned out my stator. The ignition wire had a slice in it! This is what has been causing me grief and lost 2 weeks of riding!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts