Hardcore Sledder banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
as far as I know, same cooling setup on the 01-02-03 xc7/800.
The detune on the 03's probably came from a smaller , more restrictive airbox + the revised CDI with more computing power Allowing for more sensor input and safeguards. DET first appeared on the 03 RMK Vertical Escape.
IIRC, the 03 CDI pulled timing too soon if temps started to rise. And there was a service bulletin to swap out the cdi on affected sleds.

Reactions: ZR 800 efi

·
Registered
1996 Polaris ultra sp with psi mod blasters
59 Posts
that would make sense.i have heard repeatadly the 700s in 02' had the most aggressive curve and was the best year runner ,and 03' was detuned because of warrenty claims.
I had a 02 xc 700, a buddy had an 03. We had all the same exact mods( most of the slp performance package) and we ran neck and neck.

Reactions: ZR 800 efi

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
that would make sense.i have heard repeatadly the 700s in 02' had the most aggressive curve and was the best year runner ,and 03' was detuned because of warrenty claims.
Those 02 sleds were jetted well also. In 03 some 600's and a bunch of 800's had bad timing along with many other sleds like the 700 jetted rich.

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
forgot that - the 02's had lean needles, rich mains ; 03's richer needles and several size smaller mains (but were still rich on top IIRC)

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
04' xc 600 popped up in the same area as the original edge x in this thread for approx 400 dollars more asking price.

about the same mileage.

hmmm...

add..

*REDUCED
Great machine well taken care of, always kept inside.
600 liberty engine
Hand and thumb warmers all work, has reverse
New shock in rear suspension
All new bearings in rear suspension
Brand new track
Everything works as it should
Message for more info, unfortunately don’t have the space for it anymore solid machine '

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
a few popping up, this ones the 02' 500 x.same price as the silver xc 6 above.

description ;

2002 Polaris edge x 500 with reverse, brand new track and sly dog skis, piston and rings were replaced and used about 4 times after, excellent fast ski doo, got a gas buddy under the hood for extra gas for longer trips, also comes with cover. request more pictures if interested

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
and ...a pro x 2 2004' 600. 2800 miles, but a 450 asking price above the silver xc 6 / blue / yellow 5.

description ;

2004 polaris prox 2 600 sleds in great shape has reverse and walker evan shocks all around tracks in good shape maybe 1 lug missing also have paper work for sled led head lights Has 28xx miles sled will need carbides for skis other than all it needs is snow and a rider! $2450.00 ono will trade for a 250 or bigger dirt bike with a head light !Phone calls wont be answered text or email olny !!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
all 4 are about the same distance away, give or take an hour, except the blue yellow 5 x , that ones about 4 hrs, the rest about 8.

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
I had the same 04 600 xcsp for a season. I rode it for a season on trips in quebec...it was a nice all around riding sled with 0 problems for any of our trips. I don't know much about the prox2 only that they are slower than an edge if thats a main concern, plus they have stiffer more aggressive suspension. They are however better than that edge when riding hard in the twisty's, and big moguls....usually a reason their found with lower miles for their age. If you liked your 05 600 edge, the 04 is the same sled, but rides mushier due to softer spring rates and hasn't a rear clicker shock. Again it depends how its owner rode, and maintained it when choosing a used sled.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
That pro x 2 looks pretty rough under the hood, and it looks like a after-market "can".
I had a 2002 blue edge x 500.. it was a strong running 500.. but why are they selling it after putting in new pistons?

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
Usually when one has spent a couple hundred bucks extra for adding a tour buddy, you can bet its a high mileage sled...i had one on my edges when going to quebec...very easy to pile up 4k miles a season or more. Those ves 500 edges with go 10k miles easy. Just installing pistons in a sled with that many miles imo, is just enough to send it down the road working for now instead of parting it out.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
That pro x 2 looks pretty rough under the hood, and it looks like a after-market "can".
I had a 2002 blue edge x 500.. it was a strong running 500.. but why are they selling it after putting in new pistons?
yeah i noticed the bumper and stuff as well.just based on the nature of why pro x's exist is to literally beat the shit outta it id say it probably had a tougher life then the silver xc would have.

i like the looks of the blue yellow x , and a 500 aint bad , just the just rebuilt now for sale approach makes me weary

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Usually when one has spent a couple hundred bucks extra for adding a tour buddy, you can bet its a high mileage sled...i had one on my edges when going to quebec...very easy to pile up 4k miles a season or more. Those ves 500 edges with go 10k miles easy. Just installing pistons in a sled with that many miles imo, is just enough to send it down the road working for now instead of parting it out.
yeah kinda my gut on that one as well.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
id say the one that would be being bought if either , it will be between the original 01' x or that silver xc.both look kept up.mileage about the same. reverse is nice.the x graphics is nice. toss up.

id be happy with either id say.i dunno, kinda would like to try tuning the older one with the button secondary just because every edge 6 ive owned was 05'with the team.

one thing about a shitty winter, seldom seen gems start popping up for sale. might hang tight and see what else pops up the next few weeks. i do want a good clean edge 6 though.thats for sure.

Seen a gen 2 red/black 45th ann. 500 xc sp for sale awhile back. very good shape. if it was the 6 i might have had to pick her up.2 iqrr's popped up too just there today.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
oooooooo.......next province over...but goddamm. id love to have this thing...sell the dragon and a roadtrip lol

Attachments

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
id say the one that would be being bought if either , it will be between the original 01' x or that silver xc.both look kept up.mileage about the same. reverse is nice.the x graphics is nice. toss up.

id be happy with either id say.i dunno, kinda would like to try tuning the older one with the button secondary just because every edge 6 ive owned was 05'with the team.

one thing about a shitty winter, seldom seen gems start popping up for sale. might hang tight and see what else pops up the next few weeks. i do want a good clean edge 6 though.thats for sure.

Seen a gen 2 red/black 45th ann. 500 xc sp for sale awhile back. very good shape. if it was the 6 i might have had to pick her up.2 iqrr's popped up too just there today.
I've had all those year edge sleds, just my opinion, i'd go for an 04 or later edge, being the most refined, plus that electronic reverse (perc) can't get any better. Even so those sleds are getting up in age requiring a lot more work to keep them reliable.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I've had all those year edge sleds, just my opinion, i'd go for an 04 or later edge, being the most refined, plus that electronic reverse (perc) can't get any better. Even so those sleds are getting up in age requiring a lot more work to keep them reliable.
im ok on going through it like i always do.long as the miles are reasonable and the engines healthy the rest i can work at.

i know what your saying though.

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
im ok on going through it like i always do.long as the miles are reasonable and the engines healthy the rest i can work at.

i know what your saying though.
For some reason i've seen a number of leaky base gaskets on those 02 and older 600's compared to the newer edge 600's. Don't know if polaris had a different gasket supplier or what. The 04-05 sleds have been good. I keep waiting for my 05 600 to start sipping coolant, but its been good also.

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
didn't they switch from paper gaskets to rubber coated steel in that timeframe?

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
didn't they switch from paper gaskets to rubber coated steel in that timeframe?
I haven't seen so. I did a rebuild last year for a friend that had an 04 600 high miler...they were still paper. I think 06 was the first year on the fusion for metal base gaskets.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts