Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Recall i went on a trip with handlebar hooks in my 95 xc600. They were gone after day1 of the trip. Ripped a good spot in the leg on my new snowmobile bib's nearly causing me to crash.
wow. well thats another reason but i just hate how it looks.do they really need to be yellow too?seriously? lol

those and mirrors, tore off immediately.lol.

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
so after some additional reading in this thread and elsewhere, they overheat alot eh?

remedy was longer flap/coolant bottle replace and cap.

i read about an additional cooler too, but that was more necessary on the m - 10 equipped ones or is that a standard fix across the board?

id be buying scratchers for it anyhow.just purchased a set for my iq

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
2014 Ski Doo 600
701 Posts
I never had one overheat and that is with one 500 and four 600's. Just be aware of your riding conditions. Rode them up to 40 degrees. Make sure the coolant bottle cap is on right and tight. If you do remove the cap be careful when you put it back on so you don't damage the plastic threads on the bottle. Those bottles are hard to come by now. Did have to replace the the head O rings on the Edge X or than that never a problem with any of the motors. Watch the shaft bearings. Good idea to replace them if mileage over 3,000 as a precaution. Been down that road. My favorite color was the black and yellow. As for mirrors your choice but the first thing I do if a sled I buy doesn't have mirrors is put one or two on. I like to know if the people that should be behind me are still there and if someone is coming up fast behind me. Been passed doing fifty by someone doing 90 or more that I didn't know was back there.

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
so after some additional reading in this thread and elsewhere, they overheat alot eh?

remedy was longer flap/coolant bottle replace and cap.

i read about an additional cooler too, but that was more necessary on the m - 10 equipped ones or is that a standard fix across the board?
I wouldnt say overheat a lot, but could be an issue in marginal conditions. Those short "X" flaps didnt help either. I put an IQ/Fusion flap on my 02 xc800, lol.

The problem was more pronounced on the m10 sleds as they sat higher in the rear , less snow hitting the exchangers.

my 02, 136" , short tunnel extension:

Reactions: ZR 800 efi

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I never had one overheat and that is with one 500 and four 600's. Just be aware of your riding conditions. Rode them up to 40 degrees. Make sure the coolant bottle cap is on right and tight. If you do remove the cap be careful when you put it back on so you don't damage the plastic threads on the bottle. Those bottles are hard to come by now. Did have to replace the the head O rings on the Edge X or than that never a problem with any of the motors. Watch the shaft bearings. Good idea to replace them if mileage over 3,000 as a precaution. Been down that road. My favorite color was the black and yellow. As for mirrors your choice but the first thing I do if a sled I buy doesn't have mirrors is put one or two on. I like to know if the people that should be behind me are still there and if someone is coming up fast behind me. Been passed doing fifty by someone doing 90 or more that I didn't know was back there.
if i was on groomed trails sure id see a use for them. not where i ride though.I never use mirrors on any sled ive owned.(about 15 at this point).

the overheating issue appears more a issue with m-10 equipped edges.

Reactions: Drift19

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I wouldnt say overheat a lot, but could be an issue in marginal conditions. Those short "X" flaps didnt help either. I put an IQ/Fusion flap on my 02 xc800, lol.

The problem was more pronounced on the m10 sleds as they sat higher in the rear , less snow hitting the exchangers.

my 02, 136" , short tunnel extension:
View attachment 2115445
what was the 136 out of?or was it stock rails with an extension?

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
tracksusa extensions

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
tracksusa extensions
i thought so. good quality gear from those guys.love the 144 extension on my iq. pretty solid.

·
Registered
2014 Ski Doo 600
701 Posts
if i was on groomed trails sure id see a use for them. not where i ride though.I never use mirrors on any sled ive owned.(about 15 at this point).

the overheating issue appears more a issue with m-10 equipped edges.
Right. None of mine were M-10. I exclusively ride groomed trails.

·
Registered
25 Posts
one edge 6 will definitely be in that group.also on the hunt then for a 00-03 gen 2 xcr 8. if that proves impossible , ill settle for a mach z 8 or a srx. those old iron 800 triples are getting tough to come across too in low miles/good shape.i want one to keep before they go the way of the dinosaur.
Great choices for a long term keeper. Those are three of the best triples ever, hard to believe they are 20ish years old already but they are getting tough to find for certain..

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Great choices for a long term keeper. Those are three of the best triples ever, hard to believe they are 20ish years old already but they are getting tough to find for certain..
they were the sleds id watch race every sunday at the local pond as a kid/teen. Used to go to the shops each season and get the brocheres for the upcoming year s models and drool over the flagship triple triple big bores that i could not afford being a broke teen.

now in my late 30s, the thought of having one is still there and very much affordable these days, so why not?

people get on with 'oh why you want those old heavy rough riding pigs for? my new ultra forward triple r factory race sled is what ya need blah blah .

no, just cause theres hondas that can take a 69 charger, dont make a 69 charger less desirable to have and appriciate.thats my school of thought on these sleds. rare is cool.and yes, old sleds are cool.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Interesting to hear about all the issues with the Edge sleds overheating.
I put 5,000 miles on a 2001 Classic 600 with the M10 and never had a overheat issue. My son had a 2001 600 Edge and never had an issue as well.

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I put 5,000 miles on a 2001 Classic 600 with the M10 and never had a overheat issue. My son had a 2001 600 Edge and never had an issue as well.
i also had 3 variations of the 600 ves edge, all 05's though.i did not experience any overheating issues either.

·
Registered
1996 Polaris ultra sp with psi mod blasters
59 Posts
03’s had the wide running boards, dead giveaway it’s not an 03. I love how people don’t even know what year their stuff is. It says it right on the registration!!

Reactions: jdw1

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
wow. well thats another reason but i just hate how it looks.do they really need to be yellow too?seriously? lol

those and mirrors, tore off immediately.lol.
As far as mirrors i only used a lift side mirror for reason the sled needed one to be legal for riding in quebec. Handle bar hooks were fun here in the states doing ovals in a friends large hay field. You could really lay hard into the turns...i didn't bother to take them off going on my first trip of the season to quebec.

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
what was the 136 out of?or was it stock rails with an extension?
Back in the day polaris offered a kit of 136'' long rails for an edge if you wanted to extend the track. My buddy bought the kit that a dealer still had in stock some years later when converting his 04 pro x 800 to an edge skid then extended it with the kit.

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
My impression is that the 02's were more plagued than the 01's , thus polaris came with a revised setup for 03...?

03’s had the wide running boards, dead giveaway it’s not an 03.
IIRC , in 03 , "X" models got the wide boards, regular edges did not..?

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
My impression is that the 02's were more plagued than the 01's , thus polaris came with a revised setup for 03...?

Half the issues that mimicked overheating on my 01 were due to a faulty temp sensor that was replaced with an updated part in warranty. The remainder was in low or no snow. I think if it had the aux rear cooler it would of been ok.

·
Premium Member
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

that would make sense.i have heard repeatadly the 700s in 02' had the most aggressive curve and was the best year runner ,and 03' was detuned because of warrenty claims.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts