Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
so then , we have determined its 01'.

whats the word on these?first year sleds usually plauged with little bullshit.

I know a buddy bought a brand new edge x 6 back in 01'.same colour scheme as this one, with the 1's on each side of the windshield.

his was a runner right out the box.cleaned house 600 stock locally. beat up on some 7s too.

were most 01s like this or was his a friday fluke sled? how do they run in comparison to a 05' spec one?01' a hot year?i heard 03 was the detune.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
O1 -02 were good. Last of gen 2 chassis with valve engine was a ripper. Put earlandson pink , 10-62 0r 64 if it will pull it. 50/34 helix with earlandson orange secondary spring at 12 - 14 lbs of twist. On some good hard pack she will be flying. We won many a grass and ice drags with those sleds. In my expireance the button clutch whoops the shit out of a roller like a tss. In going forward performance . When they switched to a keyed roller we would take the roller off on race day and put the button on. Saved the roller for trail riding cause it backshifts better. Even on my new sleds if it wasn’t for the PERC reverse I’d have a keyed shaft made and run a button. On the 850.

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
so then , we have determined its 01'.

whats the word on these?first year sleds usually plauged with little bullshit.

I know a buddy bought a brand new edge x 6 back in 01'.same colour scheme as this one, with the 1's on each side of the windshield.

his was a runner right out the box.cleaned house 600 stock locally. beat up on some 7s too.

were most 01s like this or was his a friday fluke sled? how do they run in comparison to a 05' spec one?01' a hot year?i heard 03 was the detune.
was a couple 01 "edge x 's in town, great sleds. A buddy still got his. 20 years of abuse and still keeps on tickin'!
He's raced sno-x and hillcross with it too. I recall he stayed right with me when I got my 02 xc800, at least until I put some proper clutching in it.

03's got revised water pump gear to speed up coolant flow, along with new more powerful CDI, revised airbox and jetting. And a softer state of tune...

Looks like this sled has a vinyl tank cover, also I thought the 01 didn't have those serrated tunnel roll grips stock...?

Reactions: ZR 800 efi

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
There really wasnt anything wrong with them at all. Only possible issue is base gaskets now and then could cause coolant to seep into the crank case. But thats not that common. It can just happen.

That engine has virtually been around since 98. It went through a few changes already by 01. But the 98 wasnt plauged with much issues either.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
There really wasnt anything wrong with them at all. Only possible issue is base gaskets now and then could cause coolant to seep into the crank case. But thats not that common. It can just happen.

I have 3 ves 600s in my garage now. All of them leaked base gaskets at one time. They all got torn down to get checked and assembled using steel base gaskets. Also two of these 600s had warped heads and were slowing burning the head orings. My 00xcsp6 had the head cut by PSI in 2001, straight edge says that one is flat. I have purchased several heads for other projects and none of them were flat.

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
That engine has virtually been around since 98. It went through a few changes already by 01. But the 98 wasnt plauged with much issues either.
it started out as a 440 race engine in 98/99, heard it was kinda finicky tuning wise but thats not abnormal for a hi-strung race engine imo

Reactions: ZR 800 efi

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
found this on classifieds. 4200 miles.Ive got a soft spot for these edge 600s, particularly in this graphics package.

ive owned several 05' variations but never the 01-03 versions.

differences i know of are airbox , the 01 has different valves, different secondary , and no revrse cause shes the button.

any other differences between this and the 05' spec 600s? any early issues i should be wary of ?

few pics of her..

description : Selling Polaris 600 Edge Starts first pull No reverse Well taken care of, stored inside Studded track Message for anymore details '

asking roughly 1250 usd. , or in my northern monopoly money , 1600 cad. the killer...8 hour drive away. would like to pick it up though, looks to be in great shape.hes sending me under hood photos tomorrow.

any input be appriciated.
The sled looks similar to the 01 i had, except this appears with the edge x graphics. Hopefully all the updates were done. I can tell you, if you ride in thin snow conditions especially slowly they overheat easy, and go into the limp mode...different water pump gear than the newer 03 and up models. The valves are basically the same...their just mounted differently...thats the old style like the 00 600 xcsp sleds had....beware if they still have the black rubber bellows, those tend to go tapioca. Imo, those ves 600 xc edges all run about the same once tuned well. The older ones rode a bit harsher to. I'm sure you'll need to do all the shocks as they were fox. The shocks were terrible for reliability on my edge, and older gen2 sleds constantly blowing seals. I think a reason for polaris to change to ryde shocks in 02.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have 3 ves 600s in my garage now. All of them leaked base gaskets at one time. They all got torn down to get checked and assembled using steel base gaskets. Also two of these 600s had warped heads and were slowing burning the head orings. My 00xcsp6 had the head cut by PSI in 2001, straight edge says that one is flat. I have purchased several heads for other projects and none of them were flat.
my 2002 went on a COLD evening at 1 a.m. , 27 miles away from truck. Always thought limp mode was dumb until that happened. Did both my base gaskets, haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
my 2002 went on a COLD evening at 1 a.m. , 27 miles away from truck. Always thought limp mode was dumb until that happened. Did both my base gaskets, haven't had a problem since.
My 01 went into the limp mode a few times before changing the thermostat sensor under warranty. It even happened a couple times more afterward when on a bunny trail going slow, and crossing a wind blown lake bay in quebec...most of the snow had blown off that 2 mile trail section. Between that and constant shock failures, it was probably the worst of all the edges owned.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Had an issue once in low snow, but also went from 31 degrees at 8 a.m. to 40 degrees by noon. No light, but limp mode, now and then. But never left me stranded!!

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
so then , with all these comments considered, worth a buy ?

tell ya, there was a 05' 600 xc sp black /red non-anniversary that came up on classifieds.it had 1300 original miles. could eat off the belly pan.couldnt believe it.

called on it the next day , gone.

dammit. guy had it listed and sold within 48 hours despite no snow here.people are catching on that these old 600s are reliable fun sleds.

good clean low mile examples are sure getting scarcer in my neck of the woods.people either put a 18 inch riser on it and beat it to death or dont do any upkeep and run em into the ground.

pretty sad.imo these sleds 01-06 edges are among some of the nicest looking ever built, when there clean and tasteful.

making the move from renting to buying a home finally in these next few months.getting me a real garage then and going to start snatching up some old iron i consider classics.

one edge 6 will definitely be in that group.also on the hunt then for a 00-03 gen 2 xcr 8. if that proves impossible , ill settle for a mach z 8 or a srx. those old iron 800 triples are getting tough to come across too in low miles/good shape.i want one to keep before they go the way of the dinosaur.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
if i do the first thing im doing is yanking those stupid mirrors off. talk about a flow killer.stands out like a sore thumb.

the nice thing if i did grab it, got a few different sets of weights, springs and gearing already in the tinker drawer.i think i even have some mains kicking around.

rebuild the valves with new bellows gaskets and springs, clean and rejet carbs and call it a day.

i think id leave the track as is.i already got the iq 144' there for the powder stuff.this be my secondary back up / throw the misses on it sled.and well of course, id have to try a few runs on 660 / 1000 with the byes for lol's.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If your gonna remove any yellow from it, please IM me. I have a blue/yellow, if the rear snow skirts are gonna go might be intrested...

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If your gonna remove any yellow from it, please IM me. I have a blue/yellow, if the rear snow skirts are gonna go might be intrested...
rear snow skirts? those handlebar hooks be gone i know that lol

·
Registered
42,427 Posts
so then , with all these comments considered, worth a buy ?

tell ya, there was a 05' 600 xc sp black /red non-anniversary that came up on classifieds.it had 1300 original miles. could eat off the belly pan.couldnt believe it.

called on it the next day , gone.

dammit. guy had it listed and sold within 48 hours despite no snow here.people are catching on that these old 600s are reliable fun sleds.

good clean low mile examples are sure getting scarcer in my neck of the woods.people either put a 18 inch riser on it and beat it to death or dont do any upkeep and run em into the ground.

pretty sad.imo these sleds 01-06 edges are among some of the nicest looking ever built, when there clean and tasteful.

making the move from renting to buying a home finally in these next few months.getting me a real garage then and going to start snatching up some old iron i consider classics.

one edge 6 will definitely be in that group.also on the hunt then for a 00-03 gen 2 xcr 8. if that proves impossible , ill settle for a mach z 8 or a srx. those old iron 800 triples are getting tough to come across too in low miles/good shape.i want one to keep before they go the way of the dinosaur.
Funny, thats how i picked up my current 05 600 50th. It sat in a basement garage for years with 1300 miles on it. Young guy that owned it decided to make a career in the military, and didn't want it any more. His father put it up for sale.
As far as the other sleds bought every year were from a dealer agreement our guys had to trade them in every spring, and snow check a new one. I think it cost me a little over $500 to upgrade new every year....as long we didn't wreck them.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts