Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to remove the skidframe from my '04 xc 700 to give a good check over and refresh the shocks. It did not turn out to be as easy as I expected. First off the high running board edges make it impossible to get an impact gun on the mounting bolts. When I attempt to remove the rear bolts they spin with the nut on the other side of the mounting bushing. This nut appears to nead a special tool to hold it from spinning as a conventional wrench will not clear the upper idler wheel (not enough room). My shop manual does not provide any details on this procedure. I am sure it is easy if you know the right trick or two.

Appriciate your comments.

Alan B

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
grind down an el cheapo 7/8" wrench.

·
Registered
173 Posts
7/8 wrench will do it, most brands will fit. just need to find the narrowest<<? one you got or at the store. its actually nicer to remove then the old ones. Oh ya theres red loctite on there so you need a big 1/2" drive.

Does anyone know the torque specs on these? the smaller bolts on the xtra 10 was 40lb what are these?? Also should the front torque arm have a little play? i mean small gap between tunnel and bushing?

Wow while i was typing 4 p[eople posted before me

oh ya a long ext will get your impact past the tunnel to clear it also

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Needsnow@Oct 18 2005, 04:18 AM
That funny looking stamped steel wrench that came with the sleds tool kit is for that nut.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=936996
[/quote]

I tried that although it is too large. I think it is meant to adjust the transfer blocks.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Mine was a bitch. I had to cut the head of the nut off.. :banghead: The bushing remained fastened in place... I could have finished her off but I can get the skid out by removing only one and then disassembling the suspension links a little.. :doh:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I CLAMP ON NEEDLE NOSE VISE GRIPS OR SLIDE A FLAT SCREW DRIVER IN JUST ENOUGH TO STOP IT FROM SPINNING
WORKS FINE FOR ME.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by danoptex@Oct 17 2005, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know the torque specs on these? the smaller bolts on the xtra 10 was 40lb what are these??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=936549
[/quote]

35-40 ft lbs for 3/8 bolts, 55-60 for 7/16 bolts.

Front torque arm has a pivot shaft that goes through it. The torque arm should have a gap between it and the tunnel, but the pivot shaft should be tight against the tunnel.

·
Registered
537 Posts
hey guy started my lastnight i used my craftman 7/8 and worked just fine just had to tap it in place alittle and good to go!

should i take care of the stuff under the hood first......before i the remove of the skid?

any other tips fo all of us do this please post.

·
Registered
537 Posts
hey it's all done!!! 6 hours and 3 beers and its ready!!

used the ratchstrap tip and it work fine. just was a bitch doing it by myself but it can be done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts