Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Polaris 800 Switchback Pro-s . I just completed a complete rebuild of the engine (new crank ,rods , bearings ,pistons , cylinder bore, cylinder head ). All of these parts came as a complete kit. Once assembled the instructions indicate that the fuel mix must be changed from 50:1 to 75:1 and that the ECU must be reprogramed. What tool , cable or program do I need in order to do this ?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You need to take to dealer and have put into break in mode. Not sure if bikeman’s new torque link can do that or not but Polaris dealer can do it with digital wrench.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I wouldn't use the Bikeman Tq link, it hasn't worked so well. 75:1 what? Oil ratio? What kit do you have? That sounds re tarded to me, and bass akwards. usually, it's the other way around. How many miles on the sled? What else did you do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sled has 3200 miles . I was riding in Canada when I dropped a cylinder . One of the rings broke and I had a catastrophic engine failure . I bought a “durability kit” from MCB Performance out of Capac MI . This kit uses a spacer and pistons with a slightly longer skirt which they claim fixes the defective manufacturing issue from Polaris on this particular sled . Anyway in the instructions that came with the kit it says to adjust the fuel/oil mix to 75:1 .

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
The sled has 3200 miles . I was riding in Canada when I dropped a cylinder . One of the rings broke and I had a catastrophic engine failure . I bought a “durability kit” from MCB Performance out of Capac MI . This kit uses a spacer and pistons with a slightly longer skirt which they claim fixes the defective manufacturing issue from Polaris on this particular sled . Anyway in the instructions that came with the kit it says to adjust the fuel/oil mix to 75:1 .
I believe that's wrong. Better call Matt at MCB and get that clarified. Should be more like 30:1. If a Polaris dealer puts it back in breakin mode, it will be much richer than 50:1. Air/fuel ratio will be richer as well. This sled has an electric oil pump. A dealer can change the ratio. I believe Bikeman can also. And, the ratio is not a fixed one. Varies with throttle position. I own the same sled. From new in breakin mode it used a lot of oil. Now is much better. No issues on original engine at 4700 miles on Polaris VES oil. Runs at around 40-50:1 depending on how hard driven. I have Bikeman's stage I setup on it. Oil ratio was made a little richer in their tune.

See my thread below for a complete story:

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,478 Posts
It means 75:1 in the fuel tank along with the oil injection for break in. The dealer can reset the ECU for break in. If you are adding oil in the first tank I personally wouldn't reset the ECU, just break it in normally. If resetting the ECU the computer will add oil for you.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
It means 75:1 in the fuel tank along with the oil injection for break in. The dealer can reset the ECU for break in. If you are adding oil in the first tank I personally wouldn't reset the ECU, just break it in normally. If resetting the ECU the computer will add oil for you.
I would not add any oil to the fuel tank for breakin. Some dealers did that in error on the first year sleds and it resulted in many fouled plugs because of the already extra oil added via the oil pump. Many also felt that the engine would never break in on synthetic oil. That too was a myth as I proved in my thread. The problem with adding oil to a CFI engine fuel system is that the fuel isn't sprayed until the last possible moment and only into the intake transfers so it doesn't get into the lower end like it does through the oil injection system.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
This sounds more like the kit is meant for the 2011-2014 non-HO 800..? (but should still work on the ho?)
My 2011 800 ran very lean oil ratios, somewhere around 100:1 - used so little it was hald to calculate properly.
I put in new pistons at 4k miles for peace of mind, and gave the oil pump a little more. + I added an ounce of oil at each fill-up. Sled was retired at 7,5k from chassis damage, engine still running good

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeah, that kit did more harm then good imo. Moving the port higher then wanted. Also was meant for the nonHO 800 (earlier cfi’s).

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you dont change the ECU back to break in mode add 75:1 oil to the gas tank for the first tank. If you have the dealer flash the ecu dont add the oil to the gas tank.

·
HCS Advertisers
194 Posts
Likely resolved as an old post but maybe not too late to clarify. Basically if your model utilizes a ECU driven pump AND you have verified additional oiling via reflash (this must be quantified) then additional oiling in the tank isn't "necessary".

Ideally I would like to see these engines operate at 45-1 but even that varies based on usage, oil type, etc.

Although adding oil to an injected sled is futile depending on where the injectors are placed (ie - Etec), and typically we don't recommend this for long term use, it is fine for initial break in assuming it does not exceed 100-1 in the tank. I have had good discussions with a friend Bosch engineering about this years ago and realistically its a non-issue assuming the pintle doesn't see viscosity out of its useable range.

That being said, I have a customer out west who has over 7k on our components and has added 100-1 in addition to a reflash from the day he installed our Stage 3 kit in his 2015. That was with VES-gold by the way. Just goes to show, no absolutes in this world.

Hope this clarifies and I'm going to try to get on here a bit more when I'm not buried.

thanks - Scott @ MCB Performance

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
When I rebuilt my sawed in half engine at my old job. I made it into a long rod. All I did was add arctic blue to the gas tank. to every fill up for about 500 miles. We would do the same for axys sleds with electronic oil pump. 3 year warranty. If you oiled up the crank and bearings you shouldn't have a problem at all.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
I would not add any oil to the fuel tank for breakin. Some dealers did that in error on the first year sleds and it resulted in many fouled plugs because of the already extra oil added via the oil pump. Many also felt that the engine would never break in on synthetic oil. That too was a myth as I proved in my thread. The problem with adding oil to a CFI engine fuel system is that the fuel isn't sprayed until the last possible moment and only into the intake transfers so it doesn't get into the lower end like it does through the oil injection system.
What he said. On the Polaris Cleanfire engines with 1 injector per cylinder, and the 650 & 850 Patriot engines, Oil in the gas never gets to the bottom end of the engine: crankshaft, main bearings, connecting rods, wrist pins, piston skirts. By the time it reaches the cylinder wall and rings, it is already burning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts