Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reached in the tank and grabbed the pick-ups with a hanger. The last smart valve should be the only one that sticks because the first should vent through the hose running to the 2nd. Very carefully, I pulled the inner plastic ring out until I heard the valve release. Don't rip the mesh screen. Once it was extended, drop it back in. 3 pulls later, fired right up. This will be much easier than trying to reverse the leads. The connection is a little difficult to get apart without a small screwdriver to unlock the tab. You might get a little gas on your hands my way, but its much easier. Guarantee I will win the race of getting the dead sled started first. Also, never work on your sled at midnight, after you have dragged it back to the garage by hand and are out of breath. Doesn't make for clear thinking!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Looney, just how far did you have to drag your sled anyway? Bet you were wishing you had the once rumored 435 lb F7 instead of the 460 lb version, eh?! And did any of your neighbors see you doing this to your brand spankin' new Firecat???!!! -- Roy

·
Registered
580 Posts
This smart valve issue, is it just a low fuel problem. I read it can occur on any mileage sled, but just how low of fuel are we talking?

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats right Batman, I did it under the cover of darkness. Actually, my fiance tried to help, but I think I was pulling more. It felt like 435lbs, because the tank was almost empty. I'll take the extra weight, as long as it keeps running as strong as it does. I could stand to lose a few pounds myself, so I'm not complaining.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crazy, it had a 1/4 tank. I tipped it too far trying to bleed it while running it and the pick-up came out the fuel. It was my fault. Just beware, I had previously bled the system and put 15 miles on it. I raised the rear end 3-4 feet off the ground to stud it and when I was done, it had an air pocket. I couldn't get heat through the running boards after riding it for 5-10 minutes. The heads were not excessivley hot, but I wasn't taking chances. When I tipped it on its side the first time, I could feel the heat starting to come through the running board. I set it down and did it again, but leaned it over farther this time and uncovered the pick-up.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If your fiance was helping you drag your sled into the garage at midnight then I would say she is definitely a keeper! ;) You'd better marry her before she gets away!

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to tease her and call her Superwoman after she flipped my old 700 ZR and absolutley flew 15 feet through the air. She was shaken up, but finished the ride. She's a trooper. Has her own new 500 ZR now. Its funny how she's much more careful now that SHE owns it. When she rode my sleds, she was a tree magnet.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Am I doing the new burping procedure wrong? I,m shutting the engine off before tipping sled on PTO side. Then setting down and starting again. Should it be running when tipping on side like loonytoons is doing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by bsouv@Dec 19 2002, 07:56 AM
Am I doing the new burping procedure wrong? I,m shutting the engine off before tipping sled on PTO side. Then setting down and starting again. Should it be running when tipping on side like loonytoons is doing?
you are supposed to shut it off when tipping. read the bulletin that is posted to the top.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason I tipped mine while it was running was I couldn't get the thermostat to open. I rode it for 5-10 minutes with no heat in the right side exchanger. I was trying to force it through. The head was starting to get pretty hot and I was getting nervous. I know it was supposed to off when I tipped it, thats why I was blaming myself for the problem. Just be careful, because I thought my sled was bled of all the air before.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Thanks loonytoon & Rob. I just wanted myself and anyone else to be clear on the shutting off when tipped issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was explained to me that as long as the engine was running, the air bubble is trapped in the head. Stopping the engine allows the bubble to go through the same tube to the coolant tank. It was specific that is is very important to stop the engine to allow the bubble to move from the head to the tank.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Looney,

Our wives are very similar. My wife (fiance at the time) used to ride a 99 ZR500 that I owned like she stole it! I was flat out scared to let her ride it! Then after we got married I traded in the ZR for a 2002 ZL 600EFISS. I let her pick out the next sled she wanted and the color. Now she rides with extreme caution! But at least she likes to ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts