Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a date of production on the vin plate on the sled.

What exactly would designate an early build. Mine says production was JUN 05.

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know there is a date of production on the vin plate on the sled.

What exactly would designate an early build. Mine says production was JUN 05.

Thanks[/b]
The early builds had a low black windshield and 65/55 gearing. I think some of the suspension calibrations and ecu calibrations were a little different too. The newer 06's had a mid height smoked windshield and 60/60 DD gearing.

·
Registered
574 Posts
easiest way to tell is by the rear cooler. The EB's had a very small cooler. The production model cooler extended below the seat probably 1'-6" long.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
My dealer told me that if it is an EB it would have it on the VIN #' in effect EB at the end of VIN

·
Registered
90 Posts
The easiest way to spot an '06 early build is to look at the location of the reflector tape. If it's on the left and right belly pan pieces, it's an early build. If it's on the side access panals, it's not an early build.

Also, do your homework if you have to replace a belly pan. You can't get the originals for the early builds any more. The part number has been superceded and you will receive both the belly pan and side access panel for which ever side you order, graphics are extra,... ouch! So are the rivets for the belt guard. There is also an addition piece of aluminum that gets riveted to the inside of the belly pan just below the driven clutch, you'd need to order this piece too.

In '07, they completely redesigned the left belly pan again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If that is a picture of your '06 Crossfire, it's definitely not an early build looking at the location of your reflectors.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is there any known problems the early builds had versus the later models?? Are they any better or worse??? Thanx[/b]
I've had some issues with the left belly pan coming into contact with the driven clutch on my EB. The left belly pan on those EB production models were changed for the later '06 builds. Cat added a piece of aluminum that is riveted to the inside of the belly pan just below the driven clutch. If you try to order a belly pan for an EB, the part number has been superceded. When ordering the new part number, you will receive a left belly pan and left access panel, (graphics not included for the access panel). You may be wondering why you would receive both the belly pan and access panel. Reason is, Cat changed the location of the yellowish/orange reflector tape. On EB's, that reflector material is on the forward part of the belly pan just above the shock. There is a smooth surface that permits the reflector tape to adhere to the plastic. The location of that smooth surface was relocated to the access panel on later '06 builds.

It's also interesting to note that the left belly pan was once again re-engineered for the "07 models. My '07 is different than the either '06 productions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts