Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw something about pulling a grey wire out of the ecu on the 06 XF 700 to accomodate E10 fuel. Any further information available?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Saw something about pulling a grey wire out of the ecu on the 06 XF 700 to accomodate E10 fuel. Any further information available?[/b]
Don't know about the states but here in Canada anything below premium (91) like reg (87) or mid (89) has a certain percentage of ethanol added so according to my manual any fuel that has ethanol added we are supposed to unplug our little grey wire therefore adding 3 percent more fuel to the stock map to accomodate the "hotter" burning characteristics of oxygenated (ethanol) fuel. I run my cxf 7 with it unplugged all the time, my 800 big bore I unplug it too and run midgrade fuel and add octane boost because you can't trust anybodies premium up here for being fresh. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know about the states but here in Canada anything below premium (91) like reg (87) or mid (89) has a certain percentage of ethanol added so according to my manual any fuel that has ethanol added we are supposed to unplug our little grey wire therefore adding 3 percent more fuel to the stock map to accomodate the "hotter" burning characteristics of oxygenated (ethanol) fuel. I run my cxf 7 with it unplugged all the time, my 800 big bore I unplug it too and run midgrade fuel and add octane boost because you can't trust anybodies premium up here for being fresh. Hope that helps.[/b]
Uhhhmmmm...well I'm in Winnipeg, so I guess I'm dealing with the same issues on fuel that you are. In fact the Province mandated 10% Ethanol mandatory as of Jan. 1 st. Or at least "up to 10%", so it looks like I'll be looking for a grey wire.
Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhhhmmmm...well I'm in Winnipeg, so I guess I'm dealing with the same issues on fuel that you are. In fact the Province mandated 10% Ethanol mandatory as of Jan. 1 st. Or at least "up to 10%", so it looks like I'll be looking for a grey wire.
Thanks![/b]
P.S. 90 miles yesterday at -20, machine seemed to love it, 100 mph at 7950 rpm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks![/b]

Yeah sorry didn't even look where you were from when I posted that. But to be on the safe side yeah I'd pull it with our crappy CO-OP gas up here. Have some good riding!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've unplugged it a couple times...

Im not a fuel/chemist or engine builder, BUT I don't recommend unplugging it, the sled will run like crap, and use WAY too much fuel. 10% isn't enough to make a difference to a stock machine IMO... and 99% of pumps that have ethanol possible fuel lists it as UP TO 10%... its likely lower or not existent at all. my dealer told me not to worry about 10% ethanol at all.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am just north of winnipeg and the fuel only changed to 8% ethonal. The manual says that anything over 10% you must unplug that grey wire. is there a wire on the 06 crossfire 6 or is there a pipe sensor to automatically scence this change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am just north of winnipeg and the fuel only changed to 8% ethonal. The manual says that anything over 10% you must unplug that grey wire. is there a wire on the 06 crossfire 6 or is there a pipe sensor to automatically scence this change.[/b]
Not sure about the CXF 6 but I've had my wire unplugged since I bought it (CXF 7) and haven't noticed any change in the way it runs it is as fast as my 05 F7 that I used to have, would run beside it all the way to top end no blubbering , just scream!!My dealer said just as a safety to unplug it little bit of extra fuel is way cheaper than a burnt engine. The way we ride here you don't notice it anyway, we don't watch the miles we look at the hours of riding. Just my 2 cents in the end it's your sled you do what you think us right all we can do is give you opinions. P.S. another reason for unplugging it is because of low quality of fuel having a little extra bad gas is better than not enough. IMO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts