Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Fill the oil to a level in the bottle. Put a mark with a sharpy on the side of the bottle for the level. Fill the fuel to the very bottem of the filler neck. Take the sled for a run make it a good one that your on and off the flipper like you would drive all the time. Park the sled in the same spot I like to let the sled sit over night because the back of my sled can hold alot of snow. In the morning fill the oil to the line meausing how much it takes to get back to the line you put on there. Then fill the fuel measueing how much it takes to get back to the same spot bottem of the neck. Now divide the fuel by the oil amounts and there you have your oil to fuel ratio. Try to hit 40-1 or 45-1. Not much more or the one -35C day you have she will be lean on oil.

Don.

G

·
Fill the oil to a level in the bottle. Put a mark with a sharpy on the side of the bottle for the level. Fill the fuel to the very bottem of the filler neck. Take the sled for a run make it a good one that your on and off the flipper like you would drive all the time. Park the sled in the same spot I like to let the sled sit over night because the back of my sled can hold alot of snow. In the morning fill the oil to the line meausing how much it takes to get back to the line you put on there. Then fill the fuel measueing how much it takes to get back to the same spot bottem of the neck. Now divide the fuel by the oil amounts and there you have your oil to fuel ratio. Try to hit 40-1 or 45-1. Not much more or the one -35C day you have she will be lean on oil.

Don.[/b]
For the record the graphics on your sled kick ass.
Frank Castle theme?

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is an old post I made on HCS a while back. I've tried to duplicate it over here since I deleted my old pics to make room for new ones. Hope this works.

The pics and directions shown below are for adjusting the oil pump/oil pump rod on all 600 and 700EFI 2003 to 2006 models. Calculating the gas/oil ratio applies to any two-stroke machine.

Let me start out by saying that 1) I'm not a mechanic and certainly not trained to work on AC's or any other snowmobile and, 2) I am mechanically inclined and can turn a wrench when I need or want to.

A lot of sled owners complain about oil usage and want to how to determine Gas/Oil ratio. It seems that AC likes to run the oil pumps very rich. Many people are calculating oil usage near 35 to 1 from the factory which, in my opinion, is too much oil. Especially since it costs so damn much. 50 to 1 seems to be the most agreed upon "correct" ratio and some people even claim 60 to 1 is better yet and still very safe.

Now, for those people that don't know their gas/oil ratio or are just guessing that they're using a lot of oil based on the miles they ridden - here's how to determine gas/oil ratio.

1) Fill your fuel tank to the level you would normally fill to. Make a mental note of where this mark is. You'll need to re-fill it as close to this level as possible later on.

2) Fill your oil reservoir and mark the oil level (using a sharpie pen or similar) on the oil fill neck.

3) Ride your sled like you normally would and under average conditions. (You don't want to be breaking trail all day or riding like your grandma if that's not how you'd normally ride.) You'll want this to be a good ride of at least 50-75 miles or more.

4) At the next fuel stop, pay close attention and fill it back to the same level as you did in step 1. Write down how much fuel it took.

5) If you're using oil in a quart container, most containers have measurements on the side of the bottle. If your using a gallon jug, you'll need to get a measuring cup of some kind and use it to re-fill the oil tank. Re-fill the oil tank to the mark you made in Step. 2 and write down how many ounces it took. It's best to get some kind of graduated measuring cup to do this since being off just an ounce can make a difference in your calculations.

Now, divide the ounces of gas used by the amount of oil used. 1 U.S. Gallon = 128 ounces. For example, if you used 6.3 gallons and 15 ounces of oil, your ratio would be 53.76 to 1 or 53.76 ounces of gas to 1 ounce of oil (6.3 x 128 divided by 15). Right where it should be!

Ok...now what if it's not near 50 to 1 and more like 35 to 1? Well, then you'll need to decide if you
A) just want to leave it alone and ride
B) take it to the dealer and have them adjust the oil pump
C) want to adjust the oil pump yourself

If you choose Option C and you're not exactly sure how to go about doing it then read on but I must caution you that IF you decide to do it yourself and somehow screw things up and fry the motor, this is one case where your dealer and AC will probably try to void your warranty and you'll end up with one BIG repair bill. So, before you proceed, make sure you're comfortable with working on your sled and confident in your abilities. With that being said, the process is really very simple and easy- you're just adjusting the linkage between the throttle body and the oil pump, not actually messing with the pump itself.

For those of you that like to measure a task's difficulty or the time required by how many beers it takes, this is only a 2 beer project (since you can't have just one) on the 2 to 6 beer scale.

There are a couple of different ways to go about getting the oil pump rod off and out of the sled. This is my way. (Some people manage to get the rod off from the topside, without removing the bellypan but I can't seem to do it.)

1) Remove the belly pan from under the engine - 10 T-20 Torx screws hold it on. You can either crawl underneath the sled (like I do) or roll it on the "clutch" side only.

2) Locate the oil pump rod. It's connected to the throttle body linkage and to the oil pump. Here's a drawing showing it's orientation to the throttle body linkage. Make a mental note of how the rod is positioned and where it attaches at both ends.

3) Using a flat screwdriver, carefully "pop" the oil pump rod off the oil pump arm. It's just a plastic collar than fits over a ridge on the pin in the arm.

4) Hold the throttle lever wide open using a rubber band, cable tie or a friend.

5) Carefully "pop" the oil pump rod off the pin on the throttle body linkage. The rod will probably fall onto the ground under the sled.

6) Once you have the oil pump rod out of the sled, you'll need to loosen the jam nut in order to rotate the rod in or out (which shortens or lengthens the rod). Shortening the rod will increase oil usage (decrease the ratio) and lengthening the rod will decrease oil usage (increase the ratio). One turn on the rod will change the ratio about 8 to 1. So, if the gas to oil ratio is 35 to 1, two turns counterclockwise (lengthen) on the rod will change the ratio to about 50 to 1. You can only make full turn adjustments (because of the way the rod connects on the sled) and I do not recommend turning it more than 2 turns before checking the ratio again. I only turned it one turn, then checked the ratio and then turned it once more. I'm at about 50 to 1 now.

NOTE: I've learned since writing this up a couple of years ago that the oil pump only has 2 levels of output - low and high (thanks for the info Krom!). By adjusting the rod, all you're doing is moving the throttle position where the pump's output changes from low to high.

7) When you go to put the rod back on, make sure it's it the correct position and snap it back onto the mounting pins. I use a screwdriver on the top pin (then release the throttle lever) and a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze it carefully back onto the oil pump pin. The oil pump arm is pretty flimsy and you can bend it if you push too hard with a screwdriver.

8) When the rod is back in place, check that the throttle works smoothly and that the pump arm is moving with the throttle.

NOTE: The marks on the oil pump arm and pump will not line up. Don't worry about the lines.

9) Now's a good time to do a complete inspection of the hoses and wires running under the engine and to check over the bulkhead for any cracks or other damage.

10) Re-install the belly pan and ride.

11) Once again, check your oil ratio to determine where it's at!

That's about it. Like I said, other people have their method of getting at the oil pump rod but once you have it out, it's all the same.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Image Reduced

(22.23k)
Image Reduced

(191.24k)
Image Reduced

1 - 7 of 7 Posts