Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No manual and I'm trying to remove the front shocks on my 2003 F7. They have a carrage bolt on top (Not like the good old ZR). Question is do you need to pry the shock off the top bolt or is there a trick to this? Does the top bolt come out? Not much room in there! HELP :div20:

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,580 Posts
Take the bottom bolt out, take the nut off the top and the shock will come right off. The bolt on the top is pressed into the bulkhead.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys :beerchug: ........I got it.......... Just took a bit of prying that I didn't want to do. Apparently this is the first time they have ever been removed. They were froze onto the top bolt.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Right, that top bolt doesn't have to come out to take the shock off. Sounds like it was corroded on a little. Clean it with a Scotch bright pad and put it together with some anti-seize.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by 128JetSnake@Sep 8 2005, 11:15 AM
Right, that top bolt doesn't have to come out to take the shock off. Sounds like it was corroded on a little. Clean it with a Scotch bright pad and put it together with some anti-seize.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=865652
[/quote]

The problem is the aluminum washer that is on there gets squashed and won't slide off. :dunno: After I broke the washers free the shock slid right off.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Hmmmm, I don't think that washer is supposed to be aluminum. I'm sure on mine it's steel. I do have a thick aluminum spacer on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 128JetSnake@Sep 8 2005, 12:19 PM
Hmmmm, I don't think that washer is supposed to be aluminum. I'm sure on mine it's steel. I do have a thick aluminum spacer on the bottom.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=865747
[/quote]

It is an aluminum washer between the nut and the shock. This is on the top, not the bottom. I will replace it with a steel washer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have an '05 F7, my dealer and others have said that ALL the shocks should be rebuilt after the first year of use, mine only has a little over 1300 miles.
And for that matter the shocks seem fine.....anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by CopierCat@Sep 8 2005, 03:53 PM
I have an '05 F7, my dealer and others have said that ALL the shocks should be rebuilt after the first year of use, mine only has a little over 1300 miles.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=866094
[/quote]

I have rebuilt twice a year, or as many times as they need it. These shocks on this particular F7 went down like a flat tire. Front and back.

·
Premium Member
13,978 Posts
Originally posted by ZR800DITCHDOCKER@Sep 8 2005, 03:42 PM
I have rebuilt twice a year, or as many times as they need it. These shocks on this particular F7 went down like a flat tire. Front and back.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=866183
[/quote]

Wasn't that only after the new owners "husband" sat on it that they went flat on this particular F7 (F8)??? :frech11:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Originally posted by CopierCat@Sep 8 2005, 03:53 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=866094
[/quote]

Mine did not last 2 full seasons. Put on 1400 miles the first year, 1600 the second.
I experienced some spine busters towards the end of last season. 2004 F7.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts