Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this bad? i had a vibration at higher speeds wondering if this is possiblly the culprit. what is involved with changing this bearing if needed? i know i have to open the gear case and all that. just wondering what ill need if anything to get that bearing out?[attachment=281070:p1040039.JPG][attachment=281075:p1040036.JPG][attachment=2810
8:p1040042.JPG]

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yep this is a problem. Better remove and replace bearing before your into more $!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
IT LOOKS TOUGHER THAN IT IS.FIRST SUSPEND BACK OF SLED UP.LOOSEN TRACK ADJ. ALL THE WAY TAKE OUT 4 SUSPENSIPON BOLTS. WIGGLE THE SUSP. OUT(GET IT UP HI ENOUGH IN BACK.EASIER W/HELPER BUT YOU CAN DO IT ALONE. I DO.)MIGHT HAVE TO GET EXHAUST CAN OUT OF THE WAY.THEN TAKE OFF THE CHAIN CASE COVER. TAKE OFF BOTTOM GEAR AND CHAIN(TOP GEAR IF NEEDED).THEN TAKE THE BEARING COVER OFF(DONT LOSE RUBBER O-RING AROUND OUTSIDE OF BEARING)TAKE BEARING OFF. GO TO CLUTCH SIDE--TAKE BELT AND SEC.CLUTCH OFF. LOOSEN SPEEDO CABLE,TAKE SPEEDO ASSEM. OFF(DON'T LOSE LITTLE DRIVE KEY) THEN GET UNDER IT AND WIGGLE SHAFT OUT. TAKE BEARING JAM COLLAR OFF... YOUR DONE. PUT NEW BEARING ON REINSTALL EVERYTHING,ALIGN TRACK. AND ROCK ON!!!!!! THIS WILL TAKE YOU 1-2 HOURS. P.S. A GOOD TIP FOR FUTURE...IF YOUR SPEEDO QUITS CHECK THAT BEARING IT USUALLY NEEDS ONE.. OH YEAH, YOU ONLY NEED COMMON TOOLS SOCKETS WRENCHES ALLEN WRENCH..... I WOULD SAY YOU HAVE EVERYTHIHG YOU NEED.....GO FOR IT!!!

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
does your speedo work? mine didnt because the little cable inside the bearing broke. So i had to tack the suspension out of her to replace it. Found out the bearing went to pieces, lucky i found it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
since ill have the gears out does anybody recomend putting in different gears? sled is a 01 zr 800 bone stock. the only thing i did was moved the sec. clutch spring 1 to the right. im happy w/ the power this machine makes so i dont think ill do any mods to the motor maybe a clutch kit that would be it. also, im 250 lbs so i dont know if that would make a differance in gearing.

·
Registered
477 Posts
IT LOOKS TOUGHER THAN IT IS.FIRST SUSPEND BACK OF SLED UP.LOOSEN TRACK ADJ. ALL THE WAY TAKE OUT 4 SUSPENSIPON BOLTS. WIGGLE THE SUSP. OUT(GET IT UP HI ENOUGH IN BACK.EASIER W/HELPER BUT YOU CAN DO IT ALONE. I DO.)MIGHT HAVE TO GET EXHAUST CAN OUT OF THE WAY.THEN TAKE OFF THE CHAIN CASE COVER. TAKE OFF BOTTOM GEAR AND CHAIN(TOP GEAR IF NEEDED).THEN TAKE THE BEARING COVER OFF(DONT LOSE RUBBER O-RING AROUND OUTSIDE OF BEARING)TAKE BEARING OFF. GO TO CLUTCH SIDE--TAKE BELT AND SEC.CLUTCH OFF. LOOSEN SPEEDO CABLE,TAKE SPEEDO ASSEM. OFF(DON'T LOSE LITTLE DRIVE KEY) THEN GET UNDER IT AND WIGGLE SHAFT OUT. TAKE BEARING JAM COLLAR OFF... YOUR DONE. PUT NEW BEARING ON REINSTALL EVERYTHING,ALIGN TRACK. AND ROCK ON!!!!!! THIS WILL TAKE YOU 1-2 HOURS. P.S. A GOOD TIP FOR FUTURE...IF YOUR SPEEDO QUITS CHECK THAT BEARING IT USUALLY NEEDS ONE.. OH YEAH, YOU ONLY NEED COMMON TOOLS SOCKETS WRENCHES ALLEN WRENCH..... I WOULD SAY YOU HAVE EVERYTHIHG YOU NEED.....GO FOR IT!!![/b]
Hey, look at the picture- it's the jackshaft bearing behind the secondary clutch- not the drive axle bearing.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Might want to replace BOTH bearings on that drive shaft since you have it apart anyway?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.