Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XCR 850 136"
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone replace the 6,T40 Torx bolts for hex head or allen heads with washers? Easier removal with less risk of stripping the torx? The 6 torx bolts are M8x1.25x15MM. I didn't strip any getting them out but one could if not careful, I used some heat and you still need to be careful, tight area.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,148 Posts
Anyone replace the 6,T40 Torx bolts for hex head or allen heads with washers? Easier removal with less risk of stripping the torx? The 6 torx bolts are M8x1.25x15MM. I didn't strip any getting them out but one could if not careful, I used some heat and you still need to be careful, tight area.
No issue. Go for it. I've done that on numerous spots on sleds. Mostly the exhaust manifold bolts. The Allen head are a pita to get out some times. I also swap to stainless steel on lots of bolts also.

·
Registered
2021 XCR Switchback 850
2,667 Posts
Never had an issue stripping the Torx bolts. I have had the ones on my 2018 drive shaft cover out at least half a dozen times or more. Allen bolts are definitely a little trickier to keep from stripping, but I think those are only on the exhaust manifold and valve mounts, oh, and that silly chain case fill bolt. Just don't over tighten that one, and if you do get it out, there is an updated deeper bolt. However, even that one will be a pain for removal if put back in too tight - I had to remind my dealer mechanic not to over tighten it after a warranty repair.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,183 Posts
For ME, it is easier to hold the torx bit square to the fastener if I have an extension between the Torx bit and the ratchet handle.

Also, a longer handle ratchet, lowers the effort necessary to turn the fastener, it also reduce the pressure trying to push the torx bit OUT of SQUARE to the fastener.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,148 Posts
Yeah I'd say they have improved as well. Even the corrosion protection is way better than before.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts